Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: How am I still not fat adapted?! page 6

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    If you've found an easy way for this to be done, outside of complete beginners, please bless us with your knowledge.
    Canuck had some great results with a hypercaloric steak and eggs protocol that resulted in lean mass gain and fat loss.... but that is obviously just one mans results. But the dude is in like his 50's or 60's and has trained most his life from my understanding. So no 20 or even 30 something with the benefit of a young male hormone profile either. Hey take it for what its worth. Anecdotal evidence to be sure.

Just looked it up 61 years old http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d83909-47.html

Hey if he can do it its attainable I say!
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-22-2013 at 10:48 AM.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie14 View Post
    I have been on the standard keto diet for 4 weeks now (20 carbs or less per day) but have been eating less than 50 carbs per day for a total of 2 months. I am still dealing with "keto flu" symptoms. I am very tired, my muscles feel sort of achy and weak, I feel this strange pressure in the front of my head, I am having trouble concentrating, and I just feel kind of stupid. I also have this weird hunger sensation almost all the time. My stomach isnít growling or anything, I am not actually hungry, I just feel this need to eat and am never truly satiated. I canít really explain it but its not a very pleasant feeling. Its strange because there where some points throughout this transition when I have felt significantly better but most of the time I just feel like ****.

I take a multivitamin every day which contains magnesium and iodine. I eat a lot of spinach and poultry so my potassium levels should be ok. I add some salt when I cook my food. I am also trying to drink a lot of water and I make sure to consume saturated fat a few times per day. I do 3 full body lifting workouts and about 3 hours of low-moderate intensity cardio per week. The program I am following has 1 heavy day, 1 medium and 1 light day per week. I am 5í1 and 104 pounds and am eating 1450 calories per day. My macros are: 58.5/36/5.5 (Fat, protein, carbs).

My fear is that I may have accidently gone over on carbs (around 40-50 grams per day instead of <20) 2 weekends ago because I was eating in restaurants. I read that if you have too many carbs one time you have to start the induction phase all over again.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what I am doing wrong or personal experiences about how you felt while adapting?

Thank for reading!
    I am going to go out on a limb and say, not eating enough specifically not enough fat. My Sig Oth took 6 months to get "fat adapted" and she eats at least 2-4 tablespoons of butter daily with no weight gain.

your mileage may vary but i see lots of people attempting to become fat adapted thinking that they will suck up body fat like a vacuum cleaner. it doesnt happen that way
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Katie, fwiw I tried the leaning out before putting muscle mass up, and it did not work for me.

As soon as I started eating more, I gained a huge amounts of fat (75% from fat). I am trying to gain muscle while keeping a good padding of fat, maybe 23-25% range. There is an opinion that most women try to cut too soon, before building enough muscular mass... so who knows.

I also found lifting + VLC a terrible combo. Anabolic diet was a bit better, and LeanGain is easier, but have not seen the results yet. Trying it a bit differently now (LeanGain)
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Canuck had some great results with a hypercaloric steak and eggs protocol that resulted in lean mass gain and fat loss.... but that is obviously just one mans results. But the dude is in like his 50's or 60's and has trained most his life from my understanding. So no 20 or even 30 something with the benefit of a young male hormone profile either. Hey take it for what its worth. Anecdotal evidence to be sure.

Just looked it up 61 years old http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d83909-47.html

Hey if he can do it its attainable I say!
    That's pretty awesome! Yeah, I wouldn't say that it's impossible, but most people have this unrealistic idea that they're going to pack on 10 pounds of muscle and lose 20 pounds of fat simultaneously. Can it be done? Sure. Is it something that everyone should attempt? No, because often times this leads to spinning wheels rather than moving in one direction or the other.

So, yeah it's certainly possible, but I don't think it's realistic for many people.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    That's pretty awesome! Yeah, I wouldn't say that it's impossible, but most people have this unrealistic idea that they're going to pack on 10 pounds of muscle and lose 20 pounds of fat simultaneously. Can it be done? Sure. Is it something that everyone should attempt? No, because often times this leads to spinning wheels rather than moving in one direction or the other.

So, yeah it's certainly possible, but I don't think it's realistic for many people.
    True. I think the steak and eggs deal was 1 refeed every 6 or 7 days? I'm thinking of giving it a shot. I think the key was like I said....hypercaloric intake. Oh, and obviously this makes it very high protein. Building muscle is energy expensive so I think where a lot of people go wrong with the recomp route is to imagine that they can actually LOSE weight and gain muscle. Thats about impossible, but allowing a bit of gain in weight (which is gonna be muscle) and losing fat....different story, and likely to be more attainable IMO. Maybe not so doable bellow a certain percent body fat thought...

So if we go by most stuff though ...its tough to put on more than 2lbs of muscle a month. So this would be a very time intensive recomp. I don't think I'm that OCD. More likely I'm just gonna keep lifting and maybe try to increase my protein a bit.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-22-2013 at 04:31 PM.

me2
    me2 is offline Senior Member
    Oh lawd don't do it sister. I thought ketosis was a grand idea, until it totally messed up my thyroid and I WAS TIRED ALL THE TIME. Sound familiar? Yeah for real our ladyparts need the carbs. and enjoy them. Paleo for Women | Carbohydrates for Fertility and Health
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

ĎTHE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

Yeah, I was low carb but my thyroid imploded and now I have a gaping black hole where it use to be. It's gravitational pull is sucking the life from my adrenals and the radiation output is mutating my lady parts. Damn you low carb!!!!!!!!!

pabs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yeah, I was low carb but my thyroid imploded and now I have a gaping black hole where it use to be. It's gravitational pull is sucking the life from my adrenals and the radiation output is mutating my lady parts. Damn you low carb!!!!!!!!!
    I'm sincerely interested in hearing why you mock what me2 has to say because I had the same experience as she did. Your sarcasm is neither funny nor is it helping the people who come here seeking advice.

pabs is offline Senior Member
    I'm not being hostile. From seeing your posts across the forum, I think you have knowledge and experience, Neckhammer, which can be put to better use that mocking people who are trying to help.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by pabs View Post
    I'm not being hostile. From seeing your posts across the forum, I think you have knowledge and experience, Neckhammer, which can be put to better use that mocking people who are trying to help.
    Because there is no scientific basis upon which to claim a low carbohydrate diet would somehow injure or maim the thyroid. Its a meme that needs to die. Actually the adrenal portion may hold a tid bit of biochemical plausibility. The thyroid bit though is just getting old. Too many people are buying into it and its completely rubbish.

Probably just been spending too much time on here so I'm allowing the fact that I see the same misconceptions expressed repeatedly to get to me more than I should. Likely means its time for a few days of abstinence from the interwebs.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-22-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast