Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How am I still not fat adapted?! page 4

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    On what do you base your opinion? Have a look at the blog I referenced (pklopp is a valued member here) then come back and opine. You're still not thinking before you post
    On what do you base your opinion? You made the statement that someone is eating too often, which is inhibiting fat burning. On what basis do you make such a claim? What evidence do you have that meal frequency has any impact on fat burning in isocaloric conditions?

It seems that you are more interested in getting a rise out of me (saying I'm not thinking before I post, just like the other thread) rather than actually having the decency to respond with a coherent argument. For someone who is so experienced on this forum, I would have expected a bit more.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry about it. I never show ketones in urine or blood, either. It's no holy grail, as fun as it is.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    On what do you base your opinion? You made the statement that someone is eating too often, which is inhibiting fat burning. On what basis do you make such a claim? What evidence do you have that meal frequency has any impact on fat burning in isocaloric conditions?

It seems that you are more interested in getting a rise out of me (saying I'm not thinking before I post, just like the other thread) rather than actually having the decency to respond with a coherent argument. For someone who is so experienced on this forum, I would have expected a bit more.
    FFS, read pklopp's blog, link above. Very well researched and a compelling argument against high feeding frequency
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

mavo is offline Junior Member
    Everyone is different (to a degree). Following cookie cutter approaches to dieting doesnt help very much. Experiment! Work out what works for YOU. Maybe you dont go well with low carb and need to raise your intake.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie14 View Post
    I am trying to lose weight in order to lower my bodyfat percentage before I start building muscle.
    Well just start building the muscle now then. It seems that building muscle comes a bit more easily when you are above a certain threshold of body fat. It's very tough to remain super lean and put on muscle at the same time. And being that you are female I would imagine this to be doubly true given how greatly women's hormones are effected by very low levels of body fat.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Well just start building the muscle now then.
    I think this is excellent advice.

At 5'1" and 104 you are not at all heavy for your height. Increasing your lean mass may be the only way to get rid of those last little bits of fat.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stina1115 View Post
    <30 g carbs, ~ 70% fat and ~ 80 g protein a day, and I have never fat adapted
    That's still probably too much protein and carbs to get yourself into ketosis. Of course, it would depend on how much you weigh.
    there is no one size fits all. I eat 100g protein; 40-75 carbs and stay in ketosis. i struggle to stay under 3mmlo/l after a few days of 40

Your problem is that you eat too often, never giving yourself a chance to switch from fat storage to fat burning.
    I eat 4 times a day

Quote Originally Posted by Katie14 View Post
    I have been on the standard keto diet for 4 weeks now (around 40-50 grams per day instead of <20) 2 weekends ago because I was eating in restaurants. I read that if you have too many carbs one time you have to start the induction phase all over again.
    sounds more like Atkins; there's no need to be so extreme especially when you have little actual fat. build up muscle as you go
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 07-20-2013 at 05:04 AM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Katie14 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Well just start building the muscle now then. It seems that building muscle comes a bit more easily when you are above a certain threshold of body fat. It's very tough to remain super lean and put on muscle at the same time. And being that you are female I would imagine this to be doubly true given how greatly women's hormones are effected by very low levels of body fat.
    My body fat is pretty high though (around 24%) even though I am light. (By the way underweight for my height would be under 98 lbs). I already spend 6 months gaining weight and trying to build muscle. I was in the same situation in December at 98 pounds and I was convinced to build muscle (bulk) first. The thing is, I don't think I really gained much muscle at all, despite gaining 12 pounds and lifting 2-3 times per week. I only added abut 10 pounds to all my lifts. I feel like my body looks the same as it did at the beginning, which I guess is a slight improvement since I am 6 pounds heavier than my starting weight. I don't know, I kind of feel like I am spinning my wheels. It seems like everything I try ends up not working the way it should. This keto adaption issue is just one of many problems I have faced throughout this process. I wanted to try a low carb diet to preserve any hard earned muscle I may have gained but now I feel like crap on this diet. I am just beyond frustrated. Sorry for the venting haha.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Losing weight or "cutting" will not help you gain more muscle. Better definition, yes - but don't expect to be able to lift more because of that. How much do you lift, how do you lift? I used to lift 3-4 times a week and see slow results results. I dropped the weights completely and do over 60 pullups each morning - I see quick results. In a high carb diet, I gain more muscle and there's barely fat on me. I doubt ketosis is your holy grail.

p.s, picture yourself if you dare. You're probably more stressed than you should be.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    FFS, read pklopp's blog, link above. Very well researched and a compelling argument against high feeding frequency
    I'm not for or against high meal frequency. I typically eat 3 meals myself. However, to say that a high meal frequency is the reason someone is not losing fat (from a physiological standpoint) is simply incorrect. When calories and macronutrients are the same, it doesn't matter whether you eat 1 meal or 8 meals, it will make no difference (again, from a physiological standpoint).

I read through the blog a bit, and it's cool stuff, with some research and personal anecdote, but it still doesn't prove that meal frequency means diddly, whether it's high or low.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast