Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Composition Vs Weight page

Goosefeather is offline Junior Member

Composition Vs Weight

Ok folks, here is a poser for you - i guess i am just after reassurance....

I have been Primal for about 5 weeks now, but 2 weddings in between caused some damage! (not mine I hasten to add!)

The first 2 weeks i saw an 8lbs loss, lovely! But since then i have seen my weight kreeping back up. Usually this would cause concern, but i can SEE my belly is reducing and body composition is improving, so i am wondering if it is muscle mass i am putting on? My excercise regime is this:

Mon, Weds, Fri lifting weights and core strength exercises (40min sessions - Stronglifts)
    TUes + Thurs 1 hour indoor hockey
    Just signed up to a new rugby club, so that is training thurs eve and games on Saturday.

Mon - Fri I have a 3 mile round trip to the train station.

Thoughts?
    6'6" male

SW: 286lbs/130kg/20st 8lbs
    CW: 281 lbs/127.7kg/20st 1lb
    TW:216lbs/98kg/15st 6lbs

"...he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin'."

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    I don't give a toss what I weigh - I go by how I look in (and out) of my clothes and how fit I am.

Pre-primal, I lost 2 dress sizes over the space of about a year. The first size in about 3 months, along with the loss of a stone. The second size over 9 months, with absolutely no change in weight.

By the end of that year, I had a completely different shaped body (barrel to hourglass), but if I had focussed on weight only, I would have considered myself a failure.

If you want a simple metric, measure your waist or abdomen and keep a note of that.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    InBody composition analysis machine.

I do not understand why the West is so far behind. Everyone in NE Asia has access to these machines and knows their exact body fat percentage at all times.

I check mine every Friday, gives me immediate feedback on lean mass gains and body fat. Deadly accurate too.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    It is probably water weight fluctuation due to your non primal events.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    InBody composition analysis machine.

I do not understand why the West is so far behind. Everyone in NE Asia has access to these machines and knows their exact body fat percentage at all times.

I check mine every Friday, gives me immediate feedback on lean mass gains and body fat. Deadly accurate too.
    Hmmm.... $5500 for the cheapest model. Looks interesting. Might be able to make one a business expense

Hey were do you access these at in NE Asia? Gyms? Malls? Doctors office?

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think they keep body composition a secret in the US to keep the diet industry going.....

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Sharpie2012 is offline Junior Member
    You could use a $4 set of body fat calipers and one of the hundreds of free online calculators...

When people have these questions, I don't understand the number of responses that just say, "go off the mirror". Fact is, unless you're really low already, you can't visually detect a couple percentages in body fat. If you want to really track your progress (either for motivation or just so you know you're not wasting a couple weeks on something that's not working), there's a simple, cheap, fast, and effective way to do it, that cuts out most of the guess work. Get yourself some calipers, take 10 minutes to learn how to use them (plenty of resources for this), and you'll never have to wonder about this again.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie2012 View Post
    You could use a $4 set of body fat calipers and one of the hundreds of free online calculators...

When people have these questions, I don't understand the number of responses that just say, "go off the mirror". Fact is, unless you're really low already, you can't visually detect a couple percentages in body fat. If you want to really track your progress (either for motivation or just so you know you're not wasting a couple weeks on something that's not working), there's a simple, cheap, fast, and effective way to do it, that cuts out most of the guess work. Get yourself some calipers, take 10 minutes to learn how to use them (plenty of resources for this), and you'll never have to wonder about this again.
    I bought calipers. But without a volunteer who is at least as dedicated as I am, I found it impossible to take measurements at multiple sites.

All methods are both inaccurate and imprecise. Fixation on decimal point changes beyond significant figures can simply be a form of obsession.

EggGirl is offline Member
    Something that really spoke to me about weight and body composition is going through my eating disorder. The lowest weight I ever got to was 140. At 140 I was wearing a size 6/8 but I had literally over exercised and starved to get there. While recovering I gained weight back to 238. (I started at over 350 pounds) Now I weigh in the 170's but I have no starved and I have increased my weight training with less cardio. Even though I weigh much more than I did at my lightest I am fitting into almost all my size 8's. I also feel is I get to 160 I may fit into my 6's. I truly feel this is because I am nourished and although I weigh more my body fat is less and my muscle mass is more. I'm trying to break up with the scale and continue measuring success by my clothes, the tape measure and my strength increases. I still weigh myself but I am as caught up in some magically number.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    I tend to use a combination of both the mirror and the scale. I like to have a general idea of what I'm weighing, but if the mirror says I'm on track, then I'm on track.

Like someone mentioned, it could be water weight from the food at the weddings, especially if you consumed more carbs than normal. This will almost guarantee water retention.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast