Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Composition Vs Weight page 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Inches + weight >>> weight. Inches can be measured by a tape or by a pair of pants after laundry day (makes a convenient once a week marker). I have carb-up pants and the pants that help me keep my calories in check, since they persist to pinch a couple of tender spots. Often, I do not change in nice and lose clothes before diving into bed - that cuts back on the 'need to unwind' eating

I rely more on pants nowadays than on anything else.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Hmmm.... $5500 for the cheapest model. Looks interesting. Might be able to make one a business expense

Hey were do you access these at in NE Asia? Gyms? Malls? Doctors office?
    Every gym and doctor's office has one, or else nobody would go to that gym/doctor. Once you start using it, it's a must-have.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I think they keep body composition a secret in the US to keep the diet industry going.....
    There's no money in prevention, you're probably right.

Before a guy hits 35% body fat, he hits 17%. That's how it works. Easy to stop it at 17%, big money for industry at 35%.

People need accurate feedback.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    I think they keep body composition a secret in the US to keep the diet industry going.....
    Yeah that's a really good theory. I also think that people in the US have unhealthier relationship with food

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosefeather View Post
    Ok folks, here is a poser for you - i guess i am just after reassurance....

I have been Primal for about 5 weeks now, but 2 weddings in between caused some damage! (not mine I hasten to add!)

The first 2 weeks i saw an 8lbs loss, lovely! But since then i have seen my weight kreeping back up. Usually this would cause concern, but i can SEE my belly is reducing and body composition is improving, so i am wondering if it is muscle mass i am putting on? My excercise regime is this:

Mon, Weds, Fri lifting weights and core strength exercises (40min sessions - Stronglifts)
    TUes + Thurs 1 hour indoor hockey
    Just signed up to a new rugby club, so that is training thurs eve and games on Saturday.

Mon - Fri I have a 3 mile round trip to the train station.

Thoughts?
    Use a leather belt in the gym with holes and feel how it fits... If it feel looser then you are losing mass around your waist, and that's a good sign for fat loss! Also the mirror or taking photos are good tools, just remember to use the same mirror and light. When starting out training after a lay-off or as a beginner you will see plenty of muscle gain in the first months...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Damn, you're probably onto something. I wish I had come up with this theory. The whole haze of ignorance around body composition/fat percentage vs. just plain old 'weight' (it is reducing, but is still much greater than you'd think it should be) does seem kind of.... odd. Maybe even suspicious.

The focus on weight (at the expense of body comp) keeps people coming back to money making quick fixes from the "health" industry. People lose a few pounds, but when 25-30% of it is lean mass, their metabolism crashes and their strength/performance/overall well being suffers.
    Last edited by TheChokingGame; 07-20-2013 at 08:28 PM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I use a few denim skirts that I've had forever to gauge. My size 12 from the 1980s is so much smaller than my size 6 from a few years ago that it's bizarre. Vanity sizes are stupid. Using a tape measure is okay. Using a scale is okay. But as the US gets fatter, the vanity sizes get ridiculous. At 5'5", I can get into a current size 8 at 150 pounds - and I'm not super muscular. 150 pounds at 5'5" is a chub, though not fat to the point of unhealthy. A size 8 should be a slim woman, not a chub.

For me, a waist under 25" and a hip under 35" is healthy. Every inch lower is hotter, though not necessarily more healthy. I currently set my goal at <140 only because less than that makes me look older. I guess the old saying that you can keep you body or you can keep your face is true in my case. I'd rather have people be surprised at my age in a good way, than be the skinniest woman on the block.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12