Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It Takes A Village - One couple's journey into the Paleo lifestyle page 3

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    You'll get there. I did. Most commercial sweets are rather gross to me now. And I can taste the "processed" taste in most baked things.

Home-made with quality ingredients is another matter. If you're going to "succumb", do it on the best stuff...

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    It's true that in time, your brain will stop seeing certain things as food, and other things you may have always hated/avoided will be tried and maybe even enjoyed. If you have a sugary treat, just move on. It can be hard with little people when you go out as you are just trying to enjoy the the outing and as you know, they can be picky. Just do your best. When you find some primal treats she likes, you can bring them with sometimes. Think of how much sugar you avoided this week. You are really doing quite well!

As far as date treats, I have found that any dried fruit, nut and coconut flake mixture in the food processor will make a gooey mess that can be pressed into a glass dish or pan or rolled into balls. You can dip them into chocolate if balls or spread chocolate on top or roll balls into cocoa powder. Check out elanaspantry.com for lots of treat ideas.

Jendara is offline Member
    Why is it that people always randomly show up on your front door when that is the absolute last thing you'd want?

My two year old is having a rough time right now, mostly because she's in her 'terrible' year and living up to her title.

This morning we were up early and having a slooow morning, we just needed some time to veg and wake up a little.
    So I threw on “The Lorax” (great movie btw) and we sat happily on the couch, her with her oatmeal and me with my coffee.
    I took a cursory glance around my house – the family room was a bomb. Toys, papers, crayons sippy cups littered the floor.
    I looking in at the kitchen; dishes were piled high, baking pans were still soaking and I hadn't cleaned up my coffee making mess.
    I shrugged, after all, the last week I had been super woman with the cleaning. Every night after the munchkin was in bed, I blitzed the family room and kitchen making everything nice and clean before I went to bed.

Last night though, I was just too damn tired.

And so this morning I allowed myself to wallow, just a little, in my filth and worry about it later. Little did I know that was NOT how my morning was going to go.
    First the very noisy electrician showed up, who was hired by my landlord, and I wasn't told he had an appointment, then the landscape guys showed up and chewed me out about leaving baby toys on the back lawn (oops!)

So I did what I thought was the best option and just got out of there.
    I went over to my sisters and just hung out and let the munchkin run wild with her cousins.

In other news, I made Mark's “Hungarian Goulash” for dinner, it was very good, except it was too thin, so I caved and added just a bit of corn starch to thicken it.
    32f0857a748273d3d81d5c481e3b4264.jpg

I made Paleo pancakes from Nom Nom Paleo's website, which were amazingly delicious and eeeaasy! So two thumbs way up!
    1000410_10100424151903885_1492025619_n.jpg

Oh, and the Scotch Eggs turned out really well, but I don't have a photo. The meat sort of shrunk on me as I baked it, so I have some 'egg' poking through, but Remi is loving them for breakfast, he tells me they really get him through to lunch without any cravings.
    So yay!

And that's what I've been upto!

~Jenny
    The ridiculous, hilarious, sometimes infuriating and frustrating journal of one woman trying to feed a family caveman style.
    "It Takes A Village"
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread90638.html

"Canadian cavemen could have eaten poutine.."

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Get some rice flour or potato flour to have on hand as a thickener.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

I'm still here! I'm alive and kicking and still working on our paleo goals.
    Remi has lost 10 lbs, I'm still at my average weight, and our munchkin celebrated her 2nd birthday last Sunday.
    I've made a few more kickin' meals,

1003911_10100432471406535_1613150093_n.jpg
    The Zucchini Lasagna is unbaked at the time of this photo, but it was amazingly delicious!

I also made this:
    Paleo NomNom's Whole30 Chicken-in-a-pot
    b80879a2bc56e55f309c92824766d1f2.jpg

This post will be short as I have a 2 year-old trying to throw blocks and grapes on my keyboard...
    But I will return! fdasfxsvb 8766wrfnwsf ( <-- Thanks eloise)

~Jendar
    The ridiculous, hilarious, sometimes infuriating and frustrating journal of one woman trying to feed a family caveman style.
    "It Takes A Village"

The Walk Of Shame

In shame, I come back here.
    While we have done well, this past holiday has been a complete fiasco with our diet (or lack of.)
    We really just allowed ourselves to go back into our old eating habits, and boy, have we paid for it!
    My sugar addiction is ridiculous - and Remi has even gained back some of the weight that he had worked SO hard to lose!

But it's a new year and with chin held high as socially-acceptable, we're back wanting to make a change!

I swear I even wrote up a contract and Remi and I signed it. To get back on track, to do more physical activity and really be each-other's accountability partners.
    I need to get my sugar addiction broken, and Remi needs to get back off of wheat and crap-foods.

So today I went to the grocery store, walked past the aisles of candies and chocolate that were whispering sweet temptations, and defiantly bought Chicken liver, dried apricots, ghee and nuts.
    I am determined to really keep it going this year, and it really looks like Remi is all in with me - so here's hoping for a Happier, Healthier New Year.

~ Jendara
    "It Takes A Village"

Clarkie is offline Senior Member
    Glad you are back. I am fairly new here and didn't see your journal until you posted today. I've read it all and I think you definitely have a really great writing style. You made me LOL a couple of times. Your daughter is absolutely beautiful btw.
    Where in Canada are you? I am in Kitchener, about an hour west of Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie View Post
    Glad you are back. I am fairly new here and didn't see your journal until you posted today. I've read it all and I think you definitely have a really great writing style. You made me LOL a couple of times. Your daughter is absolutely beautiful btw.
    Where in Canada are you? I am in Kitchener, about an hour west of Toronto.
    Nice to meet ya Clarkie!
    I'm happy to hear you like my rambling posts~
    I'm actually right near Ottawa, so we're not too far from each other. I have family in Kitchener and T.O as well!

Always nice to meet another 'local'
    ..I'm trying to remember if you guys are getting pelted by that freezing rain or snow storm that's been blowing around tonight....
    I can already hear the ice getting thrown against the window..ugh.
    I'm a bad ass Canadian no doubt, but you know its bad when you're happy about freezing rain, because that means it's getting WARMER out!

ac4b06d96b529f12fddc72875ac5ca48.jpg

Cheers, eh!

~ Jen
    "It Takes A Village"

Kid Taco is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendara View Post
    The Walk Of Shame

In shame, I come back here.
    While we have done well, this past holiday has been a complete fiasco with our diet (or lack of.)
    We really just allowed ourselves to go back into our old eating habits, and boy, have we paid for it!
    My sugar addiction is ridiculous - and Remi has even gained back some of the weight that he had worked SO hard to lose!
    I'm in the same boat! But hey, you can only change the days you have in front of you, so they're the only ones worth thinking about. Flip the switch back to ON and get after it! Love the journal, BTW. I'm sure once you get a couple weeks under your belt again it'll be smooth sailing. Fellow Canadian here shooting some positive mind power lasers in your direction. Hope it helps.

Clarkie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendara View Post
    Nice to meet ya Clarkie!
    I'm happy to hear you like my rambling posts~
    I'm actually right near Ottawa, so we're not too far from each other. I have family in Kitchener and T.O as well!

Always nice to meet another 'local'
    ..I'm trying to remember if you guys are getting pelted by that freezing rain or snow storm that's been blowing around tonight....
    I can already hear the ice getting thrown against the window..ugh.
    I'm a bad ass Canadian no doubt, but you know its bad when you're happy about freezing rain, because that means it's getting WARMER out!

ac4b06d96b529f12fddc72875ac5ca48.jpg

Cheers, eh!

~ Jen
    Oh ya we had that wicked weather big time, I think the whole province got hit hard. Today was -3 positively balmy! lol!
    Love the pic btw!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast