Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It Takes A Village - One couple's journey into the Paleo lifestyle page 2

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hi Jen, I too have roamed the aisles asking myself "WHERE is the food?" and indeed I do get "shopping cart pride" when wheeling round a trolley full of the most wholesome foods I can find.

But yesterday it was more a case of "shopping cart shame" when a pile of non primal items found their way into my trolley - packaged muesli, rice crackers, a loaf of bread, tomato sauce, lemonade, two blocks of chocolate (only one of them was dark). I was even looking askance at the supermarket brand milk.

I'm not intending to eat this stuff myself, I said to myself. But what sort of primal wife and mother am I to feed this sort of ... stuff ... to the people I love the most in this world? Even if it's what they want?

So I paid up and made my way to the video store, where there is a whole new section devoted to American candy - Reese's Cups, Lucky Charms, Pop Tarts, etc etc etc. All the names that I have heard about on here and been thankful not to have met until now. The ingredient lists (I couldn't help myself) made me gag. Corn syrup. Unpronounceable additives and colours, and on and on and on. Daughter and friends - who have been to US - were oohing and aahing, and comparing prices. But fortunately did NOT buy anything (too poor, haha).

After that my shopping cart didn't make me feel quite so shameful.
    Last edited by Annieh; 07-19-2013 at 10:33 PM.

Jendara is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Hi Jen, I too have roamed the aisles asking myself "WHERE is the food?" and indeed I do get "shopping cart pride" when wheeling round a trolley full of the most wholesome foods I can find.

But yesterday it was more a case of "shopping cart shame" when a pile of non primal items found their way into my trolley - packaged muesli, rice crackers, a loaf of bread, tomato sauce, lemonade, two blocks of chocolate (only one of them was dark). I was even looking askance at the supermarket brand milk.

I'm not intending to eat this stuff myself, I said to myself. But what sort of primal wife and mother am I to feed this sort of ... stuff ... to the people I love the most in this world? Even if it's what they want?

So I paid up and made my way to the video store, where there is a whole new section devoted to American candy - Reese's Cups, Lucky Charms, Pop Tarts, etc etc etc. All the names that I have heard about on here and been thankful not to have met until now. The ingredient lists (I couldn't help myself) made me gag. Corn syrup. Unpronounceable additives and colours, and on and on and on. Daughter and friends - who have been to US - were oohing and aahing, and comparing prices. But fortunately did NOT buy anything (too poor, haha).

After that my shopping cart didn't make me feel quite so shameful.
    You know, sometimes those non-primal foods have a way of sneaking in!

So last night, after I had posted about how 'good' I had been and giving myself congratulatory pats - my brother-in-law came by with some board games and to chill with Remi and I for the evening.
    (Ella was already asleep.)
    As he unpacked his bag, something caught my eye - it was a big bag of Oreo's! I almost pointed a finger at him and yelled "JUDAS!" but I knew that probably wouln't help the situation.
    Now, brotherInLaw has a huge sugar tooth, just like me. He's always got chocolate stashed somewhere, and refuses to stop eating so much processed crap because he was blessed with an above-average metabolism and does hardcore physical labour for his work. So no weight issues = no diet change.

Anyway, I told myself I wasn't going to have any. But then, somewhere between my shot of Malibu and losing at "Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards; Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre" (look it up, it's a hilarious fun game) I lost my resolve and downed not one, but 5 (to 7..) Oreos.
    Now I could blame it on several things, and I could point out that my resistance to chocolate was at a monthly low *cough* but in the end I made that decision.

And I regretted it immediately.

I felt so sick, I thought I was going to throw up. I actually felt dizzy and shaky, it was just such a sugar rush after having cut it cold turkey that my body seemed to go into some sort of sugar shock!
    The only bright side of this whole ordeal was that it has convinced me that this crap really does make you feel horrible.
    That the feeling I was having is a normal reaction to putting that much junk into my body.
    It really takes the desire to sugar binge, I'll tell ya what!

So today I did my best, we had a family get together and there were bags of chips and buns, and pops. And I avoided all of it!
    I actually made my extended family try my Lemon Quinoa Salad (which is to die for) and most of them really liked it.

Anyway, that's just my short little update for today!

~ Jenny
    The ridiculous, hilarious, sometimes infuriating and frustrating journal of one woman trying to feed a family caveman style.
    "It Takes A Village"
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread90638.html

"Canadian cavemen could have eaten poutine.."

Ooh, pretty please post Lemon recipe??

Isn't it interesting how going primal can help tune you in to your body's reaction to foods. I am so much more aware now.

We do like board games too, I will have a look at that one.

24a33c4c1f77b6985a0700ec9154eec3.jpg

Jenny's Lemon Quinoa Salad

Lemon Quinoa Salad
    1 medium onion, diced
    1 bell pepper, diced
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
    3 cups water or chicken stock
    1 1/2 tsps. dried Italian seasoning
    tsp. ground cumin
    1/4 tsp paprika
    zest and juice from one lemon
    1 can garbanzo beans (optional)
    1 cup fresh tomatoes, diced
    1/2 bunch scallions, white and light green tops only, finely chopped
    1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
    1 1/2 Tbsps. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
    1 1/2 Tbsps. fresh parsley, finely chopped
    ~ Salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion and bell pepper in a good splash of olive oil, until tender. Add garlic and heat until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add quinoa to onion mixture and stir around and toast for about 2 minutes. Add water, a large pinch of salt and spices. Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes. Quinoa is done when it doubles in size, becomes slightly translucent and spirals appear on each grain.

Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, scallions, almonds and fresh herbs (if you have other ingredients you want to add, now is a good time). Season with salt and pepper.

Here you go Annie!
    This recipe is fantastic, and is a great way to introduce Quinoa to someone who has never eaten this seed before. Plus it's extremely versatile you can add almost anything to it!
    I like to refrigerate it after it's made, but it can be eaten right away if you don't want/or can't chill it.

Well, I successfully avoided the sugary snackies at church today and put one little packet of sugar in my coffee, I skipped breakfast (wasn't hungry) and went for a relaxing bike ride when I got home (both the hubby and the baby were napping, there seems to be a cold going around..)
    Anyway, I was famished and made myself a bowl of this!

990573398b7dc740d1185a57ccfb8e20.jpg

Now I feel energized and full again. Wow when you cut sugar, fruit really does start to taste like candy, and I'm noticing my cravings are diminishing a LOT. At church I almost picked up a cookie without thinking, it was like a reflex.
    I realized what I was doing and moved away from the snack table, but I really noticed how much eating has become habit, mindless.
    If it's there, you just shove it in your mouth!

Hmm, all sorts of interesting things I'm learning.

My 2-year old and I are just starting the Star Wars series (never too young, right?) and while she's not big into it, she likes the lightsabers and all the funny looking aliens.
    I saw this online, and I just laughed my ass off:

MjAxMy1lZjE4ZTIwOTU2MmQ2OTRj.png

Many things to look forward to, she has.

Have a nice Sunday everyone!

~ Jenny
    The ridiculous, hilarious, sometimes infuriating and frustrating journal of one woman trying to feed a family caveman style.
    "It Takes A Village"

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Love reding your journal! I lol'd at the date turd description and read it out loud to hubby as he is used to seeing many such experiments in my kitchen. I have found that round balls go over better and that you can dip a turd in dark chocolate and everyone will still claim it is delicious.

Keep on writing and keep it real because you are hilarious!

bluechip is offline Member
    What an amazing journal! Definitely gets my "Best New Primal Journal" award! Entertaining to read and a ton of commenters! Good for you!!
    Regards,
    ~ Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Jendara View Post
    [Wow when you cut sugar, fruit really does start to taste like candy, and I'm noticing my cravings are diminishing a LOT. At church I almost picked up a cookie without thinking, it was like a reflex.
    I realized what I was doing and moved away from the snack table, but I really noticed how much eating has become habit, mindless.
    If it's there, you just shove it in your mouth!

Hmm, all sorts of interesting things I'm learning.
    Jenny, thanks for the recipe. As for fruit tasting like candy now, you are right. I was just saying to my daughter that it's a good thing not to have a "sweet tooth" because I now get to enjoy so many more sweet things - even my roasted carrots and onions tasted sweet tonight.

Funny about the cookie too. Most of us do tend to eat food when we see it in front of us. However I can now find that I go to a morning tea for example and don't even NOTICE the cookies etc, because they no longer seem like food to me. Strange but true.

Tigger is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendara View Post
    I felt so sick, I thought I was going to throw up. I actually felt dizzy and shaky, it was just such a sugar rush after having cut it cold turkey that my body seemed to go into some sort of sugar shock!
    The only bright side of this whole ordeal was that it has convinced me that this crap really does make you feel horrible.
    That the feeling I was having is a normal reaction to putting that much junk into my body.
    It really takes the desire to sugar binge, I'll tell ya what!
    Our church also does "breakfast items" between services, which means donuts and bought or homemade breads coffee cakes, etc. My favorite ones were always the icing filled, chocolate topped angel cream ones. Now I can't even look at them without the feeling that my tongue is going to leap out of my mouth in a desperate act of self-preservation! And when I actually did eat a few bites of one awhile back, it wasn't as good as I had remembered, and I too felt "out of whack" the rest of the day.

I have a confession:
    Today I ate, with little remorse mind you, half a rice-krispy square and an iced chai latte.
    I know, I know, you're thinking: Didn't she just do this with oreos?
    And the short answer is: Yes. Yes I did.

And like the oreo fiasco, I feel just as horrible after – so WHY did I?
    I had been craving an “iced drink” for the last two days, and when I was at the cafe, Ella was asking for some snackage, and I knew a rice-krispie square would go over well (which it did.)
    Speaking of, she has been SO picky lately, and not to brag, but I make really good dinners! I'm starting to get a little offended at the way she turns up her little nose at every delicious meal I slave over; considering that she was previously a little piggy who'd eat anything I put in front of her!

“2 year olds don't eat.” My mother informed me.

“What do you mean they don't eat?” I asked.

“They just don't really eat. You give them what you can, when you can, but they're not really all that interested in sitting down and eating a meal.”

“That is awful! Isn't there anything I can do?” I was horrified, how can a 2 year old just not eat?

“Not really, like I said, feed them as much as you can, when you can, but the odds are they'll reject 90% of what you offer them. Don't worry! You and your brother and sister did the same thing!”

I was a little relieved, as me and my siblings are the LEAST picky eaters on the planet. So maybe this is normal?

My sister and her two little ones (3&5) came over today for lunch before we all headed out to StoryTime at the local Library.
    She was impressed by my assortment of meats, fruit and veg. I proudly told her how well we had been doing and how I was really getting the sugar monkey off my back.
    And thus is the old tale of pride going before the fall.
    After I had ordered my Iced Chai Latte from the cafe, she was quick to point out how I should have ordered just a sugar-free iced coffee like her because: “You're supposed to be even more strict than me!”

Yeah yeah.
    I know, but darnit, what's a moment of self-degradation if there isn't someone there to appreciate it?

I was weak. I am ashamed. I will do better next time. I am not going to tell my husband. (ha!)

Today as an act of penitence I'm trying out Mark's mini-meatloaves aka 'Scotch Eggs', and making a really good paleo dinner.
    I figured the scotch eggs would make a good breakfast for Remi before he had to scoot off to work, if they turn out I'll post some photo's on here of my attempt.

Remi and I got on the scales last night, this will be the first time weighing ourselves since starting a week and a half ago.
    I was surprised to see that my weight had stayed the exact same at 120lbs.
    Remi was very happy to see that he had lost 5lbs.
    Tonight I also plan on taking his measurements so we can see where he's losing in inches as well.

And that's my day so far!
    How has yours been?

~ Jenny
    Last edited by Jendara; 07-24-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    "It Takes A Village"

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    Love reding your journal! I lol'd at the date turd description and read it out loud to hubby as he is used to seeing many such experiments in my kitchen. I have found that round balls go over better and that you can dip a turd in dark chocolate and everyone will still claim it is delicious.

Keep on writing and keep it real because you are hilarious!
    Lol! Thanks! I will try your 'round' attempt next time - Mmm and dipping them in dark chocolate just sounds awesome! Do you use date or something else? (to dip in chocolate I mean.)

Quote Originally Posted by bluechip View Post
    What an amazing journal! Definitely gets my "Best New Primal Journal" award! Entertaining to read and a ton of commenters! Good for you!!
    Ahaha, thanks Bluechip, I'm just writing it like is is - but I'm certainly glad you're liking it, and I just loooove reading comments too! So thank you! I've been enjoying following your blog too.

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Jenny, thanks for the recipe. As for fruit tasting like candy now, you are right. I was just saying to my daughter that it's a good thing not to have a "sweet tooth" because I now get to enjoy so many more sweet things - even my roasted carrots and onions tasted sweet tonight.

Funny about the cookie too. Most of us do tend to eat food when we see it in front of us. However I can now find that I go to a morning tea for example and don't even NOTICE the cookies etc, because they no longer seem like food to me. Strange but true.
    Oh my dear Annie, how jealous I am of you!
    I cannot wait until I stop drooling at the sight of a cookie or piece of cake. And I KNOW that my roasted carrots or even better caramelized onions are just as delicious, part of me still just wants to down that cookie like no tomorrow!
    The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak!

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Our church also does "breakfast items" between services, which means donuts and bought or homemade breads coffee cakes, etc. My favorite ones were always the icing filled, chocolate topped angel cream ones. Now I can't even look at them without the feeling that my tongue is going to leap out of my mouth in a desperate act of self-preservation! And when I actually did eat a few bites of one awhile back, it wasn't as good as I had remembered, and I too felt "out of whack" the rest of the day.
    Yes! I always feel 'out of whack' after I indulge. But that still doesn't stop me from wanting to see how many fairy-cakes I can cram into my mouth before passing out from lack of oxygen!
    I think I just need more time of restraining myself.
    When I was pregnant, I promised my husband I would not have caffine, in the form of coffee or sodas.
    It came to the point that when I'd take a sip of coke, I didn't like it!
    THATS where I want to be with sugar, but like I said, it takes time, and less moments of weakness.
    I wonder if I'll get there. *sighs*

~ Jenny
    "It Takes A Village"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast