Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much fruit do you eat? page 2

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    2 per day here.

If you're limiting carbs just rotate your fruits. A lot of them are in the ~10g range--nectarines, kiwi, grapefruit, cantaloupe, etc.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    Normally maybe 1 serving per day, but this past Saturday I got my first co-op produce basket, and although they aim for a 50/50 split of veggies and fruit, this basket was 80% fruit. So 2-3 servings per day this week and I still have fruit about to go bad that I need to pop in the freezer. Been working on lifting heavy this week though, so I'm hoping that at least balances out the extra sugar intake.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Normally I eat as much as I want, but I'm trying to lose weight just now so next to none.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Eat three times per day and snack? That would be like the grazing model of SAD that got a lot of folks unhealthy or fat in the first place. Eat healthy meals that fill you, and you won't need snacks. It's a habit more than a necessity.

We don't have to go back to Grok to see two major changes in eating that took the US from a 10% obesity rate (1950s) to a 35% obesity rate. Those two changes are the proliferation of fast/processed/CAFO foods, and the notion that we are supposed to graze like cattle.

During winter, I barely ate any fruit unless I saw something interesting while I was in the produce section. Since the warmer weather, I've been eating a banana or two some days. I ate three one day, but it was a day when I'd eaten almost nothing and wasn't very hungry, so I slammed back three bananas for the calories rather than cooking. (A lazy move of which I'm not proud.)
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

F.Fellini is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Eat three times per day and snack? That would be like the grazing model of SAD that got a lot of folks unhealthy or fat in the first place. Eat healthy meals that fill you, and you won't need snacks. It's a habit more than a necessity.
    It's not the grazing that makes the SAD bad, it's what people are grazing on!!! I'm a 2-3 meal a day guy myself, but there's nothing wrong with 5 meals per day or whatever if those meals are healthy. If its 4 grain based meals and snacking on cookies with vegetable oil and HFCS, that's a different story.

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    A few servings everyday. Grapes, watermelon, bananas, apples, any high sugar fruits. I hate berries.

I prefer to get my carb sources from starches though, I'm not too interested in vegetables.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    1: There is no reason for eating more than 3 pieces of sweet fruit a day. Even SAD advocate doctors acknowledge that more than this is unnecessary and, in some, can be problematic. If you need more carbs, tubers and roots are a better bet.
    2: That said, if dried fruit counts, at the moment I vary between two and eight portions of sweet fruit a day. So there are exceptional people and circumstances.
    Fruit isn't a vital need, you don't need all that much of it, but you don't need to force restriction either.

When the weather is warmer, I want more fruit. When it is colder, I just want tubers and meat. But that's kinda based on my ethnicity (until VERY recently I would've been a native to the Baltic or to Scotland, where fruit is readily available in Summer and Autumn only), so there's that.
    Look at what your ancestors would have eaten and follow them. It may not be 100% right for you (you may have mezzo-American N.A. ancestors, but your body could prefer fish to red meat, for example), but it's an excellent starting point. If they didn't get much sweet fruit, there's a chance you don't need much either.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I don't count carbs but I typically eat 1-1.5 a large grapefruit daily.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Prefer to have my carbs mainly from starchy carbs, but usually after workout I go for bananas and when i backload in evening cherries when in season & nice bit of dark Choc or cold banana with a tbsp of almond butter !!!

I don't really miss or crave fruit to be honest,

Everyone in the uk go mad for strawberries like a frenzy! Especially around Wimbledon time , lame excuse to push up prices !!!

London UK

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes a ton, sometimes none.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast