Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did you bulk and cut? page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Did you bulk and cut?

Shop Now
    I understand the premise of bulk and cut, but just wanted to hear people's N=1s. After cutting, did your weight stay the same, or did you start to regain? Is there a sweet spot in timing vs training between how much you bulk, and when you cut?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I've always just done the recomp route. Here is what I don't do. I don't do leangains. I don't count calories. And I don't give a shyte about switching up my macros.

Here is what I do.... Lift weights. Lift heavier weight or more reps with same weight. Repeat for months-years while eating to satiety. When the scale reads the same but the weight I'm lifting continues to increase I know its working.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I don't bulk and cut. I don't cut. I don't bulk. I AM bulk and that seems to be all I will ever be. I can't seem to make myself eat so little as to lose any bulk no matter how I hard I try. I can keep it up for a little while (with very little results) but not for long enough to achieve anything.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    I do bulk/cut, kinda.

I never take it to the extreme like some do, where they overeat like crazy for a few months, end up a complete mess, and then cut (most often doing it wrong and losing a good amount of muscle mass).

If I'm "bulking", I'll typically eat in a 200-300 calorie surplus, then I judge progress by the mirror/weekly weigh ins.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Not really. If my abs are looking less defined I'll tighten things up a bit (as in not having wine/cheese/chocolate all the time). If I notice I'm not progressing on my lifts I'll eat more. That's about the extent of it. I've gotten very Zen about body composition, it seems.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    I read something recently about bulking and cutting for women... if I find it, I'll post it. The only thing I remember was the author saying women tend to start cutting too early.

Quote Originally Posted by CiKi90 View Post
    Hey! I think this is a great question, however, I feel like you may get more responses from a site like Bodybuilding.com - Huge Online Supplement Store & Fitness Community!, or the like (which I'm a member of!)
    I'm scared of those sites! Wont they just tell me to go on a starvation diet whilst doing 100lbs deadlifts?

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I've always just done the recomp route. Here is what I don't do. I don't do leangains. I don't count calories. And I don't give a shyte about switching up my macros.

Here is what I do.... Lift weights. Lift heavier weight or more reps with same weight. Repeat for months-years while eating to satiety. When the scale reads the same but the weight I'm lifting continues to increase I know its working.
    Two words: you're lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I don't bulk and cut. I don't cut. I don't bulk. I AM bulk and that seems to be all I will ever be. I can't seem to make myself eat so little as to lose any bulk no matter how I hard I try. I can keep it up for a little while (with very little results) but not for long enough to achieve anything.
    sbhikes, are you doing okay? Your posts lately seem kind of glum. I saw your pics and I think you look great!

Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    I do bulk/cut, kinda.

I never take it to the extreme like some do, where they overeat like crazy for a few months, end up a complete mess, and then cut (most often doing it wrong and losing a good amount of muscle mass).

If I'm "bulking", I'll typically eat in a 200-300 calorie surplus, then I judge progress by the mirror/weekly weigh ins.
    What do your cuts look like? Do you regain when you start eating normally?

I'm kind of thinking of doing it, but for me, "bulking" will just be eating to satiety (which is between 2-3K a day for a 5'8 woman), and I'm not sure how to do the cut. I want to lose fat, but I can't sustain long term calorie deficits. Even a small deficit and I'm exhausted / lose sleep etc. I'm starting to think that a short cut aka crash diet might bet the only thing that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Not really. If my abs are looking less defined I'll tighten things up a bit (as in not having wine/cheese/chocolate all the time). If I notice I'm not progressing on my lifts I'll eat more. That's about the extent of it. I've gotten very Zen about body composition, it seems.
    Ha - I would be Zen about my body comp if I had the female equivalent of yours! You can afford to rest on your laurels

Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    I read something recently about bulking and cutting for women... if I find it, I'll post it. The only thing I remember was the author saying women tend to start cutting too early.
    Was this it?

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I try to take to heart the wise words of bb.com saying that women tend to try to cut too soon. So, I will not cut till I see that deltoid pop.
    Came from the other thread I started, about what progress you've made
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post

Two words: you're lucky!
    Hahah. Maybe. We shall see. Honestly I use to come off wrestling season and put on 15-20 lbs in just a couple weeks. My program from there was to stay at that weight and continually lift more (always focused on strength in offseason) each week for 4 months till the next season started. Then I would "cut" for the season. So I guess it was actually a bulk/cut. Except I "bulked" all at once and stayed that weight... then cut. These days I'm just lifting more and more and staying at about 160lbs. I think if I wanna see my abs again I'd still have to cut though.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    sbhikes, are you doing okay? Your posts lately seem kind of glum. I saw your pics and I think you look great!
    It's probably the depression from 5 weeks of eating so little and seeing precious little in the way of results. I've gotten rather tired of being hungry all the time and this week the hunger has overtaken me and I have eaten too much cheese so now I'm looking forward to seeing myself get fatter in a few weeks when the cheese kicks in.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Hahah. Maybe. We shall see. Honestly I use to come off wrestling season and put on 15-20 lbs in just a couple weeks. My program from there was to stay at that weight and continually lift more (always focused on strength in offseason) each week for 4 months till the next season started. Then I would "cut" for the season. So I guess it was actually a bulk/cut. Except I "bulked" all at once and stayed that weight... then cut. These days I'm just lifting more and more and staying at about 160lbs. I think if I wanna see my abs again I'd still have to cut though.
    Just wondering - after you cut, was it hard to sustain that weight? And when you bulked, was it intentional, or because you stopped training so hard? My ex played semi-prof rugby, and every time season would end he'd instantly get tubby

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    It's probably the depression from 5 weeks of eating so little and seeing precious little in the way of results. I've gotten rather tired of being hungry all the time and this week the hunger has overtaken me and I have eaten too much cheese so now I'm looking forward to seeing myself get fatter in a few weeks when the cheese kicks in.
    I'm sorry to hear that... Well, all I can say is that you're not alone! Seems like I know about three women who are happy with their bodies.

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast