RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Many power-lifters are almost not even deadlifting anymore
    I'm almost not deadlifting. I call it "deadlifting"

The deadlift is important
    since the lift is very taxing on CNS and lower back
    In light of my modification to your statement, I agree with it completely.

And there are lots of movements that can replace it
    I can replace a Ferrari with an old Ross Eurotour bicycle from the 80's. I just won't be able to pass anybody on the Autobahn.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    Agreed. But assistance exercises, rep ranges, half reps like board presses, bands, chains, etc are one thing. You are still basically utilizing the same exercises. That is different than changing the programming for the sake of muscle confusion.

I mean, look at louie simmons at westside barbell or joe defranco at defranco's gym. 2 of the most well respected strength trainers in the country, possibly in the world. They do all of the things that you mentioned as assistance work, but the basic programming remains the same
    I agree the basics are the basics for a reason.

Anyhow, any of you deadlifters do so in the slightly higher rep range? Like 6-10? I was doing drop sets the other day and damn is that a killer range to hit.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I admit that deadlifting can be fun though - adrenaline rushing through the veins - and it is make it or break it! If failing on a big pull the lower back can be messed up for weeks or months afterwards or maybe cripple a lifter forever... But as the twins use to say; "do the F**K whatever you want", LOL...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I agree the basics are the basics for a reason.

Anyhow, any of you deadlifters do so in the slightly higher rep range? Like 6-10? I was doing drop sets the other day and damn is that a killer range to hit.
    I was working in the 8-10 rep range for a while, but have gone to the 5 rep range with it in the past few months
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

I would not recommend a higher rep range on deadlift due to accumulated fatigue in lower back and hamstrings. Deadlift is safest in the 1 - 5 range and with full mental concentration. When form breaks down, then you have already made it too far for that lift...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I would not recommend a higher rep range on deadlift due to accumulated fatigue in lower back and hamstrings. Deadlift is safest in the 1 - 5 range and with full mental concentration. When form breaks down, then you have already made it too far for that lift...
    I don't "rep" it out for time. I always do deadlift as a rest pause. At least a full breath cycle to reset my tension and valsalva before each rep. My low back health is very important to me

I don't "rep" it out for time. I always do deadlift as a rest pause. At least a full breath cycle to reset my tension and valsalva before each rep. My low back health is very important to me
    And that's the correct way to do it, resetting the lift between every rep! People using the floor as a trampoline to get momentum are just fooling themselves, since "deadlift" means lifting from the dead position...
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    sbhikes, I know I said you could get strong, but not AS strong without deadlifting, but let me clarify a touch:

You might not max out your genetic potential for strength without deadlifting, but you might well approach that genetic potential. The amount of difference might not be a big deal--that is to say: you might not get as strong as humanly possible with whatever factors you possess (age/height/genetics/etc), but you can get damn strong without them. Probably "strong enough".

If you figure out how to keep doing them injury-free, by all means do so. If you don't want to do them, don't, and work around them. You're doing great.

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Deadlift is overrated and has now to days become a staple for cross-fitters and other wannabe muscle heads! Many power-lifters are almost not even deadlifting anymore outside of the meets, since the lift is very taxing on CNS and lower back, and may set you back on other lifts. And there are lots of movements that can replace it…

What would be your recommendations for good replacements?

Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    What would be your recommendations for good replacements?
    It depends on your goals and the rest of your routine! But generally; doing both squats and deadlifts is a bit of a overkill for the lower back, so doing rack pulls from below the knees instead will give less impact on lower back and give you a stronger pull for your upper body since you can use more weight. In additition you can supplement with bent legged good mornings and reverse machine hack squats for strength in butt and hamstring etc., but it all depends on what your goals are...
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast