Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you get strong without deadlift? page 2

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    You get stronger through progressive resistance increases and by injecting variety into your routines which helps to stimulate your muscles in new and different ways . This is a great time for you to switch up your training and do something new. I encourage you to never do the same routine for more than 6 weeks before changing it.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    You get stronger through progressive resistance increases and by injecting variety into your routines which helps to stimulate your muscles in new and different ways . This is a great time for you to switch up your training and do something new. I encourage you to never do the same routine for more than 6 weeks before changing it.
    Are you saying variety is required to keep gaining strength? Are you also encouraging someone to switch their routine, even if it is working for them, after a 6 week period?

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    The deadlift is probably the best barbell exercise, after the squat, for developing strength and overall health. A strong deadlift helps to increase your grip strength, keep your back surgery free, and improve your posture. It is a very useful lift. I would recommend that you deload, work on form, and continue to deadlift.

But...if you really don't want to do it, it's not essential for everybody. Weightlifters hardly ever deadlift, but they are still very strong. If you decide to quit deadlifting, incorporate snatches and clean and jerks into your routine.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Thank you. I thought I had the form all dialed in. I've got layers of shin bruises to show for it. But somehow it is too easy to slip in the middle of the lift or something. I mean there I am, starting rep 3 when all of a sudden everything just shifted in my whole body, there were three rapid very loud cracking noises in the lower part of my spine, almost like the whole thing was being stretched apart. It was very scary, felt both like relief of some pressure I didn't know I had plus a sickening feeling. It's just too easy to mess up and now I'm afraid.

I have long forearms, not short. I suppose I should do the trap bar deadlifts. How much does the trap bar weigh?
    Wow. That sounds pretty bad. I'd ditch it. Seriously, sometimes you just gotta ask yourself if its worth it. For whatever reason your body isn't ready to handle this movement with any great degree of load. Do other things. Its fine. Work on getting stronger, then come back and give it a try in a year if you really want to.

Hey I don't squat. Call me a sissy boy. I don't give a shit. Strength is the ability to produce force. All things being equal bigger muscles produce more force. Work your muscles and get stronger WITHOUT hurting yourself. How strong you gonna be if you gotta get back surgery cause YOU GOTTA DEAD LIFT BRAH!

John Watson is offline Member
    I love dead lifts and fear them too!! Back injuries can be lifelong...........get well soon!!

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Deadlifts are my favorite exercise. However, they are certainly not necessary to get strong.

Here's an article by JC Deen that might help you out a bit: RDL
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    I mean there I am, starting rep 3 when all of a sudden everything just shifted in my whole body, there were three rapid very loud cracking noises in the lower part of my spine, almost like the whole thing was being stretched apart. It was very scary, felt both like relief of some pressure I didn't know I had plus a sickening feeling. It's just too easy to mess up and now I'm afraid.
    that sounds nasty! i've never thankfully had anything like that happen. my 2 cents worth. i find if i jump up weights, my form can go. good example. i was deadlifting this week and added 5 kgs on. i deadlift a barbell not an olympic bar with plates so i do a very deep deadlift. more like a cross between a squat and a deadlift. once the weight bumped up i started feeling it in my hammies as i wasnt going down so low. so i had to really concentrate on getting right down low and coming up properly. i always do 10 - 15 reps of whatever i am doing but from memory you do less? so maybe build up reps at a lower weight before you go up any? i also do weighted good mornings which i have read helped strengthen your back against dead lift damage.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Are you saying variety is required to keep gaining strength? Are you also encouraging someone to switch their routine, even if it is working for them, after a 6 week period?
    Generally yes, however common sense applies. If you are making good gains then certainly stick with what you are doing until the gains stop or you feel stale. However it has been my experience that after the first 3 to 4 months - usually when you make the most progress - results come slower and changing the program, hitting the muscles from different angles, varying your macros etc will be necessary to get your body to improve and overcome sticking points.
    Last edited by canuck416; 07-19-2013 at 03:46 PM.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    that sounds nasty! i've never thankfully had anything like that happen. my 2 cents worth. i find if i jump up weights, my form can go. good example. i was deadlifting this week and added 5 kgs on. i deadlift a barbell not an olympic bar with plates so i do a very deep deadlift. more like a cross between a squat and a deadlift. once the weight bumped up i started feeling it in my hammies as i wasnt going down so low. so i had to really concentrate on getting right down low and coming up properly. i always do 10 - 15 reps of whatever i am doing but from memory you do less? so maybe build up reps at a lower weight before you go up any? i also do weighted good mornings which i have read helped strengthen your back against dead lift damage.
    I have been deadlifting below the level of using the big plates for so long that deadlifting low feels more normal. With the big plates it is harder to start so high. Perhaps that is all I need to do, deadlift at reps of 10 so that the weight is never close to a maximum for me. Maybe I should do that on everything.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Thank you. I thought I had the form all dialed in. I've got layers of shin bruises to show for it. But somehow it is too easy to slip in the middle of the lift or something. I mean there I am, starting rep 3 when all of a sudden everything just shifted in my whole body, there were three rapid very loud cracking noises in the lower part of my spine, almost like the whole thing was being stretched apart. It was very scary, felt both like relief of some pressure I didn't know I had plus a sickening feeling. It's just too easy to mess up and now I'm afraid.

I have long forearms, not short. I suppose I should do the trap bar deadlifts. How much does the trap bar weigh?
    I had same thing happen, exactly. Was following SL 5x5 at the time. It was on my 5th rep when my back went out. Heard the cracking and all. My legs went numb, I went into a cold sweat and felt instantly sick. I managed to get to a bench and sat there for a few minutes wondering how bad I F'ed myself up. I could barely walk out of the gym... 2 days later I finally went to chiropractor still in pain and diagnosed with a back sprain.

I was scared to DL again, but knew I wanted to do them again. About 3 weeks after injury I started back up using bar only. I've slowly added weight again up to 135 lbs, but haven't gone past 135. I just do more reps at that weight. I'm sure at some point I will add more weight, but my focus really isn't strength as it is a nice rear end Plus, I really don't want to injure myself again.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast