Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Job Advice page 6

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
    FWIW, I'm in the tax field so I can relate to the boredom (ever read "The Pale King" by DF Wallace?). Anyway, having worked in house and with the consulting/law firms like E&Y, KPMG, etc., I find that even though I've done the same type of work in house and with a consulting firm, the in house work is far more isolating. It sounds like you work in house so you may be experiencing some of that. It's like being a rock in a library gathering moss. I found it much more collegial in a consulting firm type atmopshere where you are seen as a profit center unlike in house where you are viewed as a cost center to be pared to the bone to save costs. You also may be able to have more part time flexibility with a consulting firm.

And consider yourself fortunate that you don't have kids. Any idea how many people think like you but cannot switch because they have two kids and a non-working spouse to support? A lot.
    I actually never thought about consulting that way (the cost center stuff). That makes so much sense though. I have a friend from a past job that has started a consulting company and he told me that they are always looking to expand the talent pool. So, I've definitely been thinking about going that route in November (after I get my bonus). I would LOVE more flexibility, mostly so I could work on things I actually enjoy. The one good thing about my job right now is that they are finally realizing that my department is severely under-staffed (even though I'm bored they like people to be compartmentalized). They have been sending me to tons of conferences and other training type things. By the end of the year I'll be much more knowlegeable and only all to happy to take that knowledge with me to someplace else and/or use it as leverage to negotiate a more flexible schedule here.

zoebird - I know exactly how you feel. I've just stopped telling people when I'm done with work, too, and use a lot of time to research my hobbies. In fact, today, I found the products I'll need to start making copies of pieces I've already soldered/cast without having to make a bunch of wax molds. Yay.

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    10 More Reasons You Need to Quit Your Job Right Now! Altucher Confidential

Alternatively:
    1. You have A JOB! (a third of young people in Spain and Greece cannot find jobs; they would do anything for a living now; hell if they get paid 70K a year to sit alone and do nothing they would do kill for it).
    2. If you have time at hand, do something in that time for you or for others. There are so much to learn. You can learn about valuation. Pass CFA perhaps and with your current experience you can move up to front office. And i can bet you within a year you would not want come across another human being!
    Few but ripe.

Lady D is offline Senior Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Start writing a novel. That's what I'd do if I had a job where I didn't have to do any work. Hah! I would LOVE to have a job like yours. Corner office far from everyone else. Little to no work. I'd just sit there and work on my novel. I bet I'd have something written within 6 months!
    Have you heard of "NoNoWriMo" aka National Novel Writing Month?

Average 1700 words a day throughout November, which is easy peasy, for 30 straight days and you have 50,000 words - a shortish but adequate novel.

My point being time is no constraint!

National Novel Writing Month

Ariana30 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thriveful View Post
    How about downloading a stack of podcasts to your phone, take a docking station into work, and listen to podcasts that interest you whilst u work. I love Robb Wolf, everyday paleo, paleo hacks etc, there are loads.

At least your time will feel more productive till u make a decision
    I had a boss once who was well known by women and men for being sexist. I was out on his operations team. I was given no job description or expectations. I tried to be helpful in this way or that. Finally I found a way to be an asset, by creating a 300 page document of common defense concepts and policy. This is all I did. I received an excellent report card in the end. Before I started the task, however, I had nothing work related to do. I started an online course to keep me engaged, and gained a reputation for taking very long lunches. That behavior ended though when I found a place to contribute.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady D View Post
    Have you heard of "NoNoWriMo" aka National Novel Writing Month?

Average 1700 words a day throughout November, which is easy peasy, for 30 straight days and you have 50,000 words - a shortish but adequate novel.

My point being time is no constraint!

National Novel Writing Month
    Hey, I just saw this, but thanks! It looks awesome! I think I'm going to do it!!!

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    I've decided quitting is a better option than the horrible boss. I lasted 7 months so I'm afraid it'll look bad on my resume but I've lasted the 2nd longest of any of her employees. How do you talk about something like this when you get asked about it in an interview? I was being asked to do unethical and dangerous things, so quitting was a better option than getting caught doing what I was asked and never being able to get a job in any related field ever again.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456