Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Job Advice page 3

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    i understand the malaise and despair of depression -- i have been there. i get hating your job -- have been there too.

however, i have never made a 6-figure income so your moaning of things you simply cannot afford really makes my teeth itch. perhaps instead of a career counselor, whom you admit is expensive and apparently ineffectual, you need a financial manager? somebody to help you recognize where you are wasting money that could be SAVED and banked so that you can pursue other lesser-paying, and perhaps entry-level, options. examine everything: from daily lattes to weekly manicures, to spendy haircuts.

do you have an expensive car payment for a gas guzzler that you can sell and buy something more efficient for cash?

do you have a cleaning service, landscaper or dog walker whose services you can reduce and do some of your own work?

reduce your cable/satellite bill?

stop going to movies or the theater.

gym or club memberships that can be cut or swapped out for something cheaper? many gyms will let you work p/t in exchange for a free membership.

figure out how to spend less on groceries -- cheaper cuts of meat and smaller fish that are lower on the food chain.

sell clothes you no longer wear to consignment.

eat out less, buy ZERO stuff.

on weekends or evenings, offer to work for free as an intern, or at minimum wage, for a local decorator or shop if you really think you want to do that. (fyi, anybody i know who has worked retail for any length of time HATES it.)

when you come in late and leave early what do you do with that time? anything productive towards your future?

decorating your own home has little in common with the career but if you think that might appeal, becoming a professional organizer or somebody who helps people redecorate their homes with their own belongings can be professions with relatively cheap certification, eventually leading up the ladder to something better paying.

the economy is such that employers don't need to even consider somebody who wants to switch careers and has zilch experience in the field. it also carries the baggage of moving from your current salary vs. hiring an eager-beaver kid who will work a billion hours a week for pennies because they are drowning in student loan debt.

hire a planner.

make a list of everything good in your life.

exhale, get off your ass and get going.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Hotmail View Post
    Nikita, I work in the city in London

>>>snip>>>
    one of the most expensive cities in the world.

And I know how hard it its to take a pay cut, am like you, I get paid really good money, but would really like to move to another city, the jobs there are pay less than 50% - that's if I get them, no idea why I can get jobs easily in the city but outside its harder.
    i work in boston, also ridiculously expensive, but it gets dramatically cheaper the further outside the city radius you are willing to go.

as for getting jobs in strange places, that most often has to do with contacts and networking. if you really want to move and change, start widening your circle.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Hotmail is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    one of the most expensive cities in the world.

i work in boston, also ridiculously expensive, but it gets dramatically cheaper the further outside the city radius you are willing to go.

as for getting jobs in strange places, that most often has to do with contacts and networking. if you really want to move and change, start widening your circle.

Am not unhappy with my job actually, I like it and don't find it very stressful at the moment.

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Don't enjoy my job either.
    Work in family business for my dad and his auntie works for him too.

At the moment the vibes and atmosphere is horrible , I really just feel like quitting and just taking a break after I get my holiday leave that is :-)

London UK

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    It is nice to know I'm not the only person on these forums that hates their job.

My husband and I save a decent amount and I know we can get by with me making significantly less; we actually saved money every month in 2010 when I was on unemployment and our lifestyle didn't totally go down the tubes. Our house now costs about $300 more per month in mortgage and we have a car payment of about $450. I figure I need about $800 more a month than I made on unemployment (which was $385 a week net) to get by. It's not an insurmountable amount of money.

Our budgeting isn't too bad. We don't have a maid, gardener, pets, children, or use any expensive services. We only have 1 cell phone (no land line) and it's $30 a month. Our major expense is our house and lately working on it since we just moved 4 months ago and there were repairs we needed to make. We sold a lot of our furniture with our last house so we've had to buy some furniture also. We're just about done there though, luckily.

Anyway, I did check out the Mister Money Mustache website. I'm not new to budgeting but it's still a good reminder and I've bookmarked it. I just hope I can find a job I hate less soon. Even if I have to stay in compliance, just working around other people would make a big difference so I am going to look for that. As I said I have a side business already, but I am not good at sales/marketing and I really don't know how to grow it. I don't know if there's a class or something I can take but I guess that's the next thing to look into.

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    First I will say, I am jealous of your money and jealous of your bonus offer.

I also know what it it like to sit behind the desk and want to scream the building down.

If you haven't said yes to the bonus yet is it possible to negotiate a day of working at home? That might make a difference, and see the bonus as the funding for your future business and take the time to research what you want to do.

You said you liked retail, with your auditing and accounting experience, have you thought of a job at a head office? Once in you can look at other roles that you might be interested in. In my experience the head office was a really fun place to work, the compliance work is different (cash registers, stock take, employee theft or you could go to Finance) but the pay drop might be less as opposed to working on the floor. I like retail as well, it is an old fashioned business, did we sell enough today? Are the customers happy? What do they want? You might think about FMCG like fashion, home furnishings etc.

Good luck and be happy as the money and th bonus gives you a flexibility that a lot of people do not have.
    Life. Be in it.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    ok, to clarify, MMM is not all about budgeting, but about investing properly and how to plan to be able to retire early/when you want (ie, within 10 years or less).

the you need a budget website is about how to make a much better functioning budget. I've had a budget for years -- which we watched carefully. But, like MMM, the idea is to make your money work for you, rather than the other way around. Because it's designed to encourage that behavior, it completely changes the way your budget WORKS as opposed to somehow imposes some horrible idea of a budget.

We've kept a budget for a long time. But these two web sites gave me different perspectives, and as such, i've become betetr with the money that I have (which far, far less than $100k/annum).

Quote Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
    It is nice to know I'm not the only person on these forums that hates their job.

My husband and I save a decent amount and I know we can get by with me making significantly less; we actually saved money every month in 2010 when I was on unemployment and our lifestyle didn't totally go down the tubes. Our house now costs about $300 more per month in mortgage and we have a car payment of about $450. I figure I need about $800 more a month than I made on unemployment (which was $385 a week net) to get by. It's not an insurmountable amount of money.
    being able to live on $600 a week is a far cry from not being able to buy ramen noodles on $2000 a week, which is how you sounded at the top of this thread. if it was hyperbolic angst that's something else.

if you start putting aside extra money now, it wouldn't be long before you could actually manage for awhile at $10 or $15 an hour, if you had to, or save up a chunk for some sort of certification class.

sometimes when buried by despair there seems no way out, but if you hate your job that much i don't know why you want to keep it instead of moving on-- other than golden handcuffs.

Ernest Hemingway

Hotmail is offline Senior Member
    Its a case of the devil you know, the most stressful job I had was actually volunteering for a charity, it was horrible, the people were so bad....

Job satisfaction can also be a mental state, as long as there is no one bullying you, others respecting you, you can just build an interesting life outside work, have fun activities every evening, e.g. go dancing, go to meetups etc, work is just there to pay the bills, and if its going to be stressful or boring, you may as well get paid maximum amount, have a real life outside work.

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    being able to live on $600 a week is a far cry from not being able to buy ramen noodles on $2000 a week, which is how you sounded at the top of this thread. if it was hyperbolic angst that's something else.

if you start putting aside extra money now, it wouldn't be long before you could actually manage for awhile at $10 or $15 an hour, if you had to, or save up a chunk for some sort of certification class.

sometimes when buried by despair there seems no way out, but if you hate your job that much i don't know why you want to keep it instead of moving on-- other than golden handcuffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotmail View Post
    Its a case of the devil you know, the most stressful job I had was actually volunteering for a charity, it was horrible, the people were so bad....

Job satisfaction can also be a mental state, as long as there is no one bullying you, others respecting you, you can just build an interesting life outside work, have fun activities every evening, e.g. go dancing, go to meetups etc, work is just there to pay the bills, and if its going to be stressful or boring, you may as well get paid maximum amount, have a real life outside work.
    It is a combo of both of these things. On one hand, being alone at work means no one bothers me. I can do whatever I want. But, being that I like to be around people it becomes very draining being alone so much. I end up making small talk with cashiers at the grocery store on my way home just so I have someone to talk to.

We don't need tons of money. I could probably make things work with a minimum wage job. I would have to enjoy the job though, otherwise I think I would really miss the financial flexibility. When I was unemployed for those 4 months, they really were the best months of my working life. I spent my time making jewelry and painting (and cooking a lot which saved money because we didn't dine out at all). I wasn't able to sell either at that point, but I have since sold all of my paintings and several pieces of jewelry.

I've been reading more of the MMM blog today (first time I've really had to do that) and I hope I can implement his ideas. I can't do much about our house right now, but luckily we bought when interest rates were their lowest, at least. I think we will finish paying off our car soon and hopefully sell it and get something more practical.

I'm just not much of a financial risk taker. It has taken years for me to build up to the idea that I could potentially quit this job knowing I'll take a huge pay cut. This job is not hard for me mentally. When I'm not at work I really couldn't care less about it. But, the isolation and boredom drain me when I'm here. I have compensated by making my life outside of work awesome. My job is really the only thing in my life I want to change (oh, and my weight/body composition). If I could get those two things to a better state I would be thrilled. Hopefully soon...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast