Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Job Advice page 2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    You know what? You can always make money. So if you decide to leave some on the table, then that's ok. You can let it go. Look at it as the same as letting go of having not won the lottery or similar. Perhaps you can see it as "not your money."

From there, I would look at your assets -- savings, retirement, and investments. Compare with Mr Money Mustache. He's all about getting the financial independence that you need so that you don't have to work.

I find that, for myself, an outside project is really important. My business -- where I was intensely learning to work a budget -- inspired me to get my house in order. I had a very basic budget, but nothing like that I actually *needed* to have. I learned on You Need a Budget a great way to budget, and I learned from MMM what I actually needed to do in terms of certain goals (or at least, he gave me some good ideas and areas to start looking).

As such, our entire ship just tightened up -- both business and home. My money worked for me before, but now it REALLY works for me. And, we are on track to reach several of our goals in the next 7 years (it's different when you *aren't* earning 6-figure incomes!).

This research and process might help you get through your job until you get to the bonus, or it might help you feel at peace about taking a job that is, say, $60 or $75k rather than $100+k. Because if your expenses are low (we dropped ours from an average of $45k to an average of $32k just through the budget process), then any money that you make over that is money to put into investments that will, in turn, support you so that you can do what you are passionate about -- work wise or otherwise -- down the track.

Having those clear financial goals in mind can make a BIG difference in terms of how you look at work and how you find the kind of work that you want to do. And then ultimately gives you the freedom to do the work that you want to do.

Good luck!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I would think if you have a background in finance you could start a business.

I do understand how you feel. I often go a whole week without saying a word to another human being. I have gone MONTHS with nothing at all to do. I honestly don't know why I am here sometimes. I think it's probably one of those things where if you keep spending the budget you can keep getting the same amount of money year after year for the department's budget. I'm like insurance for the budget.

The weird thing is that always happens. I thought this career had you be busy all the time but this is my 4th job in this career and it's been this way at all 4 places.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 192.5lbs, press 75lbs and deadlift 210lbs

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I would think if you have a background in finance you could start a business.

I do understand how you feel. I often go a whole week without saying a word to another human being. I have gone MONTHS with nothing at all to do. I honestly don't know why I am here sometimes. I think it's probably one of those things where if you keep spending the budget you can keep getting the same amount of money year after year for the department's budget. I'm like insurance for the budget.

The weird thing is that always happens. I thought this career had you be busy all the time but this is my 4th job in this career and it's been this way at all 4 places.
    Seriously! I don't understand how I keep finding jobs where I have so little to do. Either the people I have replaced worked REALLY slow or they somehow had friends in the office the would talk to all day. It's strange. I'm an extrovert and I love talking to people, but I just never seem to have anything in common with the people I work with. I make small talk about the weather with the receptionist and a couple people if I happen to pass them in the hall, but it is always short. I have an office in the corner of the building with no one else nearby. Offices on both sides of me are empty. I hate it because it keeps me isolated socially, but I like it because that isolation means leaving early and coming in late go unnoticed.

I'm going to look into finding a financial planner and trying to stick to a better budget. My husband and I are not short on money and as a result we don't have to consider every purchase like we did 5 years ago. We buy stuff we don't need, that's for sure. I just wish I could pay off the house because then I'd be free...

Anyway, thank you everyone for the advice. If there's more, keep it coming. I feel a little better today than I did yesterday. Maybe the sale of my company will turn out to be a good thing because it will definitely increase my workload. Considering I played The Sims on my phone for like 5 hours yesterday I certainly have the time to do more work and maybe feeling more productive will leave me feeling more positive in general. I think that's why I like retail jobs; there is always something to do. Plus you're on your feet and talking to people. I'm still going to apply for those jobs and maybe someday I'll format my cover letter just right and get an interview.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I completely understand the dillema of the OP. I, too, am horribly bored with my job. It's not the right field for me. I don't enjoy it, and I don't do it well because I don't enjoy it. My employer finds me to be indispensable, but that's primarily because what takes me 2 hours to do takes them all day to do, because I have fairly good computer skills and they don't. So in a 5 day workweek, I do about 1 day worth of work. The rest I spend on the internet, surfing and learning, which might sound great to be doing and drawing a paycheck but I'd rather be doing something productive. I feel lazy and I feel like I'm not earning my paycheck.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, in that I make a really good paycheck and to switch to something that actually interests me would require me to take a massive paycut that I couldn't live on. So I'm stuck.

My suggestion to the OP: if you truly are stuck where you're at for work, make every effort to improve your life outside of work. Take a real vacation and go somewhere you want to go. Cultivate hobbies. Do things with friends. If you have a dream job- could you start it as a home business and grow it from there, perhaps quitting your current job later when your home business gets going? If you love doing a certain activity, make sure you do it often in your off-work hours. Ensure your home life is going well. I'm a firm believer that you can't be unhappy at home and unhappy at work and be happy at all. Something has to give.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Or you could tough it out for a few years and retire.

Mr. Money Mustache | Early Retirement through Badassity
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    Trade jobs with me. I'm trying to work part time to pay for grad school and my boss never gives me a spare minute. It's so stressful I spend a lot of time recovering and have no energy left for school. I'd love a job filling up a desk where I could get some reading and writing done and get paid for it! Spend your extra time at work making your own financial and job plans instead of hiring someone else to do it for you. Tighten the budget, then look for a job with a pay cut you can now take.

Hotmail is offline Senior Member
    Nikita, I work in the city in London, one of the project I did was with compliance room staff, I know how unhappy the staff there was, so you are not on your own, I was glad to finish that project, there was so much unhappiness and bitterness there.

And I know how hard it its to take a pay cut, am like you, I get paid really good money, but would really like to move to another city, the jobs there are pay less than 50% - that's if I get them, no idea why I can get jobs easily in the city but outside its harder.

Anyway, one suggestion (sorry if its been suggested already, didn't read all the comments) do you and your hubby plan to have kids? If so, get pregnant, and take full advantage of the maternity leave, I know this is not a permanent solution, but it will give you plenty of time to think of what you want to do next and if you want to go back to that job again.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Is there any chance you could telecommute and work from home? at least you'd be in a happier environment and you could interact with whomever you like during the day while possibly starting a side business/career.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I am glad to hear I'm not alone on this low work load thing. It even happened to me in a previous career working in non-profit with mentally ill people. I finally realized my job existed only so that my boss could be at a level to get a higher salary.

Finally a project came in though so the past 3 days I have had something to do and haven't spent my whole day just surfing the web. I've actually been working 99% of the time. I kinda don't want my project to end so I'm taking my time on it.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 192.5lbs, press 75lbs and deadlift 210lbs

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yep I'm gunna third, mr money moustache, one of the best blogs on the net.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast