Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: PCOS and Metformin

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    547

    PCOS and Metformin

    I haven't had a period in about 2.5 years. I was on the depo shot before that. Before being on that, I didn't have a period for a couple of years.

    I talked with my doctor about it today and asked about getting my sex hormones checked. She said that most likely I have PCOS, especially considering the other endocrine things I deal with.

    I'll have the lab work back next week. She said that Metformin helps with PCOS.

    I would like any input for ladies dealing with PCOS. How do you deal with it other than diet? Is Metformin a good option?

    Thanks ahead of time!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    317
    Have you checked out Stefani Ruper's blog? Paleo for Women | PCOS

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    Have you checked out Stefani Ruper's blog? Paleo for Women | PCOS
    I remember reading about that a little on clothesmakethegirl! Thanks... I skimmed it just now. I'll check it out more tonight.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    8
    Metaformin never helped me with periods. Only birth control made them happen.
    I quit taking Metaformin once I started eating autoimmune paleo - PCOS is an autoimmune in case your doc didn't mention that (mine never did)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    547
    No, my doc didn't mention that. :/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    8
    they never do.
    do you suffer from Hashimoto's Thyroiditis as well?
    they have found connections between the two

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdebness View Post
    they never do.
    do you suffer from Hashimoto's Thyroiditis as well?
    they have found connections between the two
    I didn't know this - v relevant to the health of a friend of mine. Thanks.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    547
    Yes I do. I'm on Naturethroid (NDT). I'm working on getting my T3 in range.

    Do you have hashis too?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    602
    For myself, pre-primal, metformin was my wonder drug. It helped with my acne, my periods were regular and I was able to conceive our third child on Metformin alone.

    Eating primal helped to get my blood sugar under control. I would go off Metformin to test things out and I usually went back on to it. It was helping me in some way beyond sugar control.

    Then my endometriosis pain started returning. I decided to go on birth control and bleed once every three months. Since I was on birth control, I stopped Metformin.

    I have read good things from Rob Wolf regarding Metformin. As far as side effects, it is mostly digestion and B-12 absorption. I was on the slow release and that helped. It did make me even more lactose intolerant.

    It really seems to depend on what's going on with the adrenals, thyroid and ovaries. Chris Kresser had an excellent pod cast on this axis. It made a lot of sense. I also recommend The Hormone Cure by Dr Gottfried over Stephanie Ruper's site/book. You get way more comprehensive information and recommendations on what to do.

    My thyroid is good, but my adrenals (high cortisol) are out of whack. I think this is my root problem. Yours might be thyroid.

    Eating primal, carbs 50-100, bone broth have all helped immensely.

    Since getting treated for H Pylori and treating myself like a celiac, the last bit of pain from endometriosis has gone. I am going to attempt to go off birth control and see how things go. ( I'm 38 so hopefully not pre-menopausal yet)

    I'm still about 10lbs overweight but have lost 26 since going primal.

    I hope you are able to find the solutions that work for you.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

    June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

    My Journal

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
    For myself, pre-primal, metformin was my wonder drug. It helped with my acne, my periods were regular and I was able to conceive our third child on Metformin alone.

    Eating primal helped to get my blood sugar under control. I would go off Metformin to test things out and I usually went back on to it. It was helping me in some way beyond sugar control.

    Then my endometriosis pain started returning. I decided to go on birth control and bleed once every three months. Since I was on birth control, I stopped Metformin.

    I have read good things from Rob Wolf regarding Metformin. As far as side effects, it is mostly digestion and B-12 absorption. I was on the slow release and that helped. It did make me even more lactose intolerant.

    It really seems to depend on what's going on with the adrenals, thyroid and ovaries. Chris Kresser had an excellent pod cast on this axis. It made a lot of sense. I also recommend The Hormone Cure by Dr Gottfried over Stephanie Ruper's site/book. You get way more comprehensive information and recommendations on what to do.

    My thyroid is good, but my adrenals (high cortisol) are out of whack. I think this is my root problem. Yours might be thyroid.

    Eating primal, carbs 50-100, bone broth have all helped immensely.

    Since getting treated for H Pylori and treating myself like a celiac, the last bit of pain from endometriosis has gone. I am going to attempt to go off birth control and see how things go. ( I'm 38 so hopefully not pre-menopausal yet)

    I'm still about 10lbs overweight but have lost 26 since going primal.

    I hope you are able to find the solutions that work for you.
    Wow momto3! So much good info. Thank you!

    The pharmacy is calling my doc to have the script changed over to the slow release generic glucophage Metformin.

    I'll check out rob wolf's info and Chris Kresser when I get a chance tonight.

    All that I read so far says that once my thyroid numbers are where they need to be, PCOS won't be an issue. But I'm not totally sure I have it yet anyway. I'll know next week when the results are in.

    I'm taking vitex for progesterone right now but may get a cream when I get the results back.

    I'm trying to decide if I want to go ahead and take the Metformin?! I'm just confused on what to do right now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •