Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: PCOS and Metformin page 2

  1. #11
    bloodorchid's Avatar
    bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    tn
    Posts
    8,682
    Shop Now
    i was prescribed met, and if i wasn't careful splitting them i'd get sick taking the bigger half. that along with it not seeming to do much else, i just stopped taking it. my blood glucose levels were pretty much normal anyway

    what helped, more than any of the drugs was cutting wheat full stop (i eat it on occasion these days. don't judge me.) my periods came back and were regular pretty much from the beginning and my other pcos symptoms went away
    beautiful
    yeah you are

    I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

  2. #12
    brooke.S.'s Avatar
    brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
    For myself, pre-primal, metformin was my wonder drug. It helped with my acne, my periods were regular and I was able to conceive our third child on Metformin alone.

    Eating primal helped to get my blood sugar under control. I would go off Metformin to test things out and I usually went back on to it. It was helping me in some way beyond sugar control.

    Then my endometriosis pain started returning. I decided to go on birth control and bleed once every three months. Since I was on birth control, I stopped Metformin.

    I have read good things from Rob Wolf regarding Metformin. As far as side effects, it is mostly digestion and B-12 absorption. I was on the slow release and that helped. It did make me even more lactose intolerant.

    It really seems to depend on what's going on with the adrenals, thyroid and ovaries. Chris Kresser had an excellent pod cast on this axis. It made a lot of sense. I also recommend The Hormone Cure by Dr Gottfried over Stephanie Ruper's site/book. You get way more comprehensive information and recommendations on what to do.

    My thyroid is good, but my adrenals (high cortisol) are out of whack. I think this is my root problem. Yours might be thyroid.

    Eating primal, carbs 50-100, bone broth have all helped immensely.

    Since getting treated for H Pylori and treating myself like a celiac, the last bit of pain from endometriosis has gone. I am going to attempt to go off birth control and see how things go. ( I'm 38 so hopefully not pre-menopausal yet)

    I'm still about 10lbs overweight but have lost 26 since going primal.

    I hope you are able to find the solutions that work for you.
    Wow momto3! So much good info. Thank you!

    The pharmacy is calling my doc to have the script changed over to the slow release generic glucophage Metformin.

    I'll check out rob wolf's info and Chris Kresser when I get a chance tonight.

    All that I read so far says that once my thyroid numbers are where they need to be, PCOS won't be an issue. But I'm not totally sure I have it yet anyway. I'll know next week when the results are in.

    I'm taking vitex for progesterone right now but may get a cream when I get the results back.

    I'm trying to decide if I want to go ahead and take the Metformin?! I'm just confused on what to do right now.

  3. #13
    brooke.S.'s Avatar
    brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    i was prescribed met, and if i wasn't careful splitting them i'd get sick taking the bigger half. that along with it not seeming to do much else, i just stopped taking it. my blood glucose levels were pretty much normal anyway

    what helped, more than any of the drugs was cutting wheat full stop (i eat it on occasion these days. don't judge me.) my periods came back and were regular pretty much from the beginning and my other pcos symptoms went away
    Thanks for your reply!

    Did you have the slow release Metformin? Was it the 500mg that you split?

    I have a little wheat about once a week. I don't really think I have many symptoms of PCOS. That's great that your symptoms are gone!!

  4. #14
    Momto3's Avatar
    Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    561
    I know it's tough. You could always wait for confirmation from the blood work. With Type 1 also ( which has been related to auto-immune) you may just want to start with the autoimmune protocol. Are you primal yet? I know it can feel very very restrictive and unfair. It is hard emotionally when you are dealing with multiple issues. Dr Gottfried says to try to find the one issue that will influence the others the most and it probably is your thyroid. I would start with the autoimmune protocol ( The Paleo Mom is an excellent resource) while you wait for blood work. Metformin can help, but it can also make you feel awful in the beginning. Plan to stay close to a bathroom the first few days/week.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

    June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 150 - size 8/10
    Goal:130 - size 6

    My Journal

  5. #15
    brooke.S.'s Avatar
    brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    581
    I am primal but I tend to eat carbs between 120-180g for my thyroid. I feel best this way too. I'll check out the autoimmune protocol. I don't do much dairy except for raw goat milk... And sometimes goat cheese.

    When my thyroid numbers are in order I'm going to start on Low dose naltrexone. It's an immune system modulator that works for various autoimmune conditions. It might work for PCOS. It might be something you are interested in.

  6. #16
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    4,869
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    ...if i wasn't careful splitting them...
    I have some cats on meds that need to be split, tiny pills that I had one heck of a time splitting. I bought a pill-splitter for it.

  7. #17
    bloodorchid's Avatar
    bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    tn
    Posts
    8,682
    yeah i did too
    beautiful
    yeah you are

    I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

  8. #18
    bloodorchid's Avatar
    bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    tn
    Posts
    8,682
    Quote Originally Posted by brooke.S. View Post
    Thanks for your reply!

    Did you have the slow release Metformin? Was it the 500mg that you split?

    I have a little wheat about once a week. I don't really think I have many symptoms of PCOS. That's great that your symptoms are gone!!
    if i remember right, it was the 500, yeah

    and yeah i was happy that i stopped the slow progression into bald wookie with black knees
    beautiful
    yeah you are

    I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

  9. #19
    Momto3's Avatar
    Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    561
    How are you doing Brooke? Did you start Metformin? How are you feeling?

    As I said before I went off birth control to see how things would go. Well, I have gained 7 lbs in a month and a half. It seems my body needs more support than a primal diet and exercise. Thankfully, the endometriosis pain is still at bay and most things are going really well. But after talking to my NP today, I will be getting some blood glucose/insulin tests and then hormone tests to see what my baseline is now that I've been off birth control for almost two months. My NP is willing to work with Metformin if that is the route I want to take. I will also be doing the 23andme.com DNA test to look at my methylation pathways (this is new territory for me, don't know much about it yet). I am disappointed with this set back and weight gain, but i do feel I am getting closer to the healing I am looking for. I wish you well!
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

    June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 150 - size 8/10
    Goal:130 - size 6

    My Journal

  10. #20
    brooke.S.'s Avatar
    brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    581
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
    How are you doing Brooke? Did you start Metformin? How are you feeling?

    As I said before I went off birth control to see how things would go. Well, I have gained 7 lbs in a month and a half. It seems my body needs more support than a primal diet and exercise. Thankfully, the endometriosis pain is still at bay and most things are going really well. But after talking to my NP today, I will be getting some blood glucose/insulin tests and then hormone tests to see what my baseline is now that I've been off birth control for almost two months. My NP is willing to work with Metformin if that is the route I want to take. I will also be doing the 23andme.com DNA test to look at my methylation pathways (this is new territory for me, don't know much about it yet). I am disappointed with this set back and weight gain, but i do feel I am getting closer to the healing I am looking for. I wish you well!
    Hey Momto3!

    I did start Metformin and was on it over a month. My energy levels got much worse. I have been dealing with thyroid and adrenal stuff for a while now. I felt like whatever it was doing to my liver was possibly lowering my cortisol even more. I've been off of it for a few weeks now and don't feel as dragged down as I did. I didn't notice needing less insulin on it as I can see on my insulin pump how much I use per day.

    How was your energy level on Metformin?

    When my lab results came back in my testosterone was normal but estrogen and progesterone were both low. So, it appears that I don't have PCOS. My doc said that it couldn't be ruled out until I had an ultrasound done. I'm not having one though due to insurance limitations. I have an appt in march and will be able to get on bio-identical hormones. I'll have to wait until then...

    I've heard a lot about 23andme but I don't know that I want the government to have all that access to my DNA. At the same time, I think it's probably pretty valuable to know. So, you gained weight from going off the pill? Ya know... years ago I was on the depo shot and the year I was on it, I lost 15 lbs. I've always wondered if it corrected a hormonal imbalance I had. Sounds like it could be if you gained going of birth control too.

    ETA: I also started having horrible acne on my chest and shoulders. I hadn't ever had breakouts like that. I thought it was the Vitex I was taking. I stopped it for 2 weeks and still had the acne so I realized it was the Metformin. I was also taking NAC which turns out to do the same thing as Metformin.. well, kinda sort of. You might want to check into NAC. I believe at least 1800mg a day.
    Last edited by brooke.S.; 09-20-2013 at 06:54 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •