Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is there room for Hypertrophy? page 4

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm not sore very often lifting weights. Certainly not sore like I used to be when I did light weights, high reps in my core fitness class and spent most of my off days unable to lower myself to the toilet. But I've had a lot more hypertrophy. So I would trust the program for a while even if it doesn't make you sore.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I think apart from Jack3D, the program also is based on accumulated volume, i.e 4x a week. So, we will see if I am still chipper Sunday night
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Wendler says 50% of 1 rep 1st month 60% next month 70% next month .

I do a strength first similar to 531, then do assistant , strength & hyp & then maybe some hit conditioning , sprints or rows for 5-10 intervals .

I liked doing GVT before as u can easy track ur progress & I kept it to minute - 90secs really good for fat burning also.

Obviously need good form on all main lifts .

London UK

Okay, I won't be able to do GVT on the OHP with the bar. My sets yesterday went 11, 9, 7, a rapid drop in strength. So if I do 10x10 next, it will have to be with the baby bars.

UB workout was much more noticeable than the LB. It's funny how going from 5x5 to 4x8 burned me on the BP. 70# on 5x5 is a deload breeze. First 2 sets of 8, were just like 5's, but with set 3, it was hard.

Also, was fun to do bicep curls, I did a couple of 21 sets with a baby bar, and, yeah, vanity galore. Wish my shoulders looked like that without curling the bar, LOL.

Overall, fun. Gotta add weight on Fri on the LB to see if I can get it count.

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Okay, I won't be able to do GVT on the OHP with the bar. My sets yesterday went 11, 9, 7, a rapid drop in strength. So if I do 10x10 next, it will have to be with the baby bars.

UB workout was much more noticeable than the LB. It's funny how going from 5x5 to 4x8 burned me on the BP. 70# on 5x5 is a deload breeze. First 2 sets of 8, were just like 5's, but with set 3, it was hard.

Also, was fun to do bicep curls, I did a couple of 21 sets with a baby bar, and, yeah, vanity galore. Wish my shoulders looked like that without curling the bar, LOL.

Overall, fun. Gotta add weight on Fri on the LB to see if I can get it count.
    That's the whole point, you need the optimum weight to make it work.
    U need a weight that obviously u can handle and know ur pushing urself on the last few reps of the 7,8,9,10th set
    90sec rest on each set , I wouldn't do 10x10 bicep curls that's alot of stress on biceps try & do pull/chin ups & use a band to assist

London UK

No, no, I am not doing 10x10 now, it is Lyle's protocol atm, it is 4x8 for compounds and 2-3x10-12s for supports (such as bicep curl). I want to do each protocol for 6 weeks and compare results to see if womenfolk (or at least me) benefit from maximizing volume to crazy.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    No, no, I am not doing 10x10 now, it is Lyle's protocol atm, it is 4x8 for compounds and 2-3x10-12s for supports (such as bicep curl). I want to do each protocol for 6 weeks and compare results to see if womenfolk (or at least me) benefit from maximizing volume to crazy.
    Being a high volume guy myself I can very much recommend high volume routines, also for woman, but be careful with the dosage of heavy barbell stuff that hits lower back since it will dig hard into your mode of recovery...
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

Good point. I did endlessly strain my lower back on SL 5x5 (which is comparable heavy BB volume to Lyle), and that's the reason I was doing lighter squats on one of the days and only one set of heavies on another lately. I will see if I am mobile on Sunday.

Okay it is getting harder, as the lifts are a bit higher, and it comes and goes in waves. My second lower body wo I was not feeling it--> hevaier, not feeling it... and then suddenly I got that gym nausea. Still, Upper body seem to blast me harder, even though my weights now are at the point when it is hard to finish 8 reps and a couple of times I had to drop a rep or two. The only lift I am too light on still is the straight-legged Deadlift.

Week 1: 4 workouts as prescribed by Lyle; 3 elliptical HITs for 20-30 min, bunch of moving slow, 1 Martial Arts class. Eating slipped over the weekends (no observing macros on Saturday (had people over), too much food on both days). No changes in body composition as of Sunday morning (apart from a couple of rogue pounds from Saturday), but it is not expected with all the adjustments.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Week 2: 4 lifting sessions, 1 boxing, 1 elliptical hiit, 1 outdoor run+ swim (30 +15 min) and a hap-ki-do class.

On Sat morning body comp was unchanged, but on Sunday the weight jumped 2 lbs, mostly fat (only 0.5 lbs muscular mass). Did not observe macros all week. Will attempt to go leaner and carbier (and less calories) this week. Basiclaly, liver, quark, fruit and jello.

And, heavier on the lifts, obviously. Starting 2 aikido classes this week as well in addition to hkd.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234