Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there room for Hypertrophy? page 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I know I just find it funny because calves is pretty much the only part of my body that I like just how it is, lol. In UD 2.0 calf raises were on 4x a week. twice for 90 reps and less reps on the other two days.

And, heh, failure is one of the strongest themes in my workouts. I drop on my ass on squats, I wriggle from under the bench press and can't move deadlift upward another inch. If failure was a guarantee of muscular growth, I would look like a Hulk now.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I like the HIT concept of training to failure, but just to make sure I hit that goal I do at least a 5-10 secon "push" beyond the stuff just not moving. If this ends up a static contract or the weight actually is going eccentric while I'm pushing I know I've maxed out my effort.

miata is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Do you mean 10x10 on all 5 main compound lifts (SQT, DL, BBR, BP, OHP)? 5x5 takes me at least 15 min per major lift, so at 30 min per lift (optimistically) the session will take 2.5 hrs of focused work. I dunno, does that sound productive/doable? The 10x10 schedules I saw had less lifts per session.

Good point. Right now I am only doing a 10x10 set for incline chest presses each day -- would probably want to limit two sets each day. Maybe alternate between chest press and overhead one day and pull-downs/rows the other. I only do leg presses once a week anyway.
    Last edited by miata; 07-18-2013 at 04:10 PM.

So something like SQT/OHP one day and BP/BBR the 2nd day in 10x10 format with a DL to failure + support day? I can *heart* that. mmgh, tempting!

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    And, heh, failure is one of the strongest themes in my workouts. I drop on my ass on squats, I wriggle from under the bench press and can't move deadlift upward another inch. If failure was a guarantee of muscular growth, I would look like a Hulk now.
    Failure is not a garantee for growth, but you will not grow much muscle without "scaring" your nervous system so much that it send signals to build up more muscle tissue to protect you. Going to true failure or beyond is what matters for that..
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Gorbag, this sounds very logical. The trick is to find the method that makes the body speak the same language the person's CNS speaks. It can be a personal failure to correctly identify the near failure state, the differences in physiology and gods alone know what (some people put on muscle by doing cardio....).

For example Ultimate Diet 2.0 despite it drawbacks is golden for me, because I witnessed how an exact and weird protocol does exactly as advertised and on me: strips resistant fat while sparing what muscle mass I have.

So, what I need is a protocol that puts 5 to 10 lbs of muscle mass on me (I am stuck around 103-105 lbs atm) without adding more fat (I have at least 25%). I keep working in the same framework of strength lifting (3 x a week) and not much is happening for muscle size now, so, yeah, need to try something else.

I am tempted to try Lyle's protocol (cause it's LYLE!) first though a combo of 2x of 10x10 and 1x of failure lifts is easier to fit into my schedule. I think I will be methodical about it and try both for 6 weeks each with 1 rest week in between. If by the end of week 6 on one of those protocols I am sporting at least 2 extra shiny pounds of muscle, it's a winner!

Some extra info on Lyle's bulking:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/97771329/L...ng-Routine-FAQ

I think I will take his suggestion to reduce frequency and do the ULU-LUL sequence if 4x a week floors me. A bit scary that he expects 50% fat gain, but I think in my fat range I might be able to use LeanGain advantage....
    Last edited by Leida; 07-19-2013 at 06:53 AM.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    My problem with high volume at relatively heavy weight is the exertion headaches come on around rep 10. That's with squats. I don't think I've ever been able to do high volume at a relatively heavy weight on anything else.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

I think I can do high reps on the empty bar on the OHP (never tried it with a Barbell). I did 6x15 sets on the bench before on UD2.0 so I know bench won't limit the 10x10.

If necessary, I am not proud, I will go to the preloaded 30 or 35# baby bars (used them in tri-sets before). I can go with dumbbells subs too that will let do a bit lighter high reps to sub some exercises - this is HT, not strength specific programs.

But yes, that's one thing I like more about Lyle's program - it monitors your body response. I was looking at the FAQ and he recommends stopping or keep going depending on the level of fatigue. Now, for women they always recommend more sets... do maybe fatigue is irrelevant?

Anyway, I am going to start with Lyle after I finish my current strength cycle. About time too, I am just starting to stall about the same numbers for 5x5 sets, so tired of hitting the same ceiling.

maclrc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Failure is not a garantee for growth, but you will not grow much muscle without "scaring" your nervous system so much that it send signals to build up more muscle tissue to protect you. Going to true failure or beyond is what matters for that..
    Not convinced by this argument at all. Many top coaches e.g. Jim Wendler hold that going to failure is not necessary all of the time, if ever.

For HT or for strength? Wendler is most famous for strength protocols, iirc. Failure iirc was related with HT specifically. Or maybe I am dreaming in technicolor.

Heh, sorry folks, I need another 2 h on this fast and getting chatty as hunger increases. Made a mistake of starting to swim sprints after SS swim and that woke the cursed worm & I forgot glucomannan.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast