Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wow! GMO vs non-GMO corn page 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Once a year, once locally famous corn ripens (which is ~September here) I boil a couple of cobs for each of us. My folks eat popcorn once in a while (air-popped, organic, presumably non GMO). I would rather have buckwheat, millet or beans if I decided to eat grains/legumes. Overall though, I find I just don't enjoy corn so much. Used to like corn on the cob and popcorn.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Dulcimina is offline Senior Member
    Can someone interpret the results of the study? The first line of the table says:

Available Energy (ERGS) 100 (GMO) 340000 (non-GMO)

There is a footnote that says ERGS means energy given off per gram per second. It seemed kind of odd that there would be such a big difference in energy from corn. So I looked up ERGS which means energy released per gram of soil, measured as gram/sec.

That makes more sense, right? Organic growing techniques non-GMO crops put back more nutrients into the soil, so there is more energy in non-GMO soil? But the owner of the blog insists that these are measurements from corn, not soil. She's deleted any comments disagreeing with her, and left all her rants up.

elfman5150 is offline Member
    I get mine from a local farmer. She grows silver queen and when I say 'sweet' I don't mean the same sweetness as your typical grocery store corn. I guess a better word is "earthy" or something actually. Hard to describe, but I know it isn't bad for me so I'm gonna enjoy it. Can't be paranoid about everything, right?

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    I don't eat corn or corn derivatives. Too paranoid. Afraid that even supposedly non-GMO corn is contaminated with the transgene. Breast cancer. Not worth it.

i refuse to be afraid of my food. i don't eat processed, bagged, boxed food, or anything that comes from big ag.

we have a few local, organic farmers who still grow "native" corn and i have a few ears per summer. (although i passed it up this weekend since i am going into a serious ketogenic period.)
    Last edited by noodletoy; 07-21-2013 at 04:11 PM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Interesting interview with the farmer. But those 'Mothers' are a disaster as interviewers. I'll never eat corn again, of any kind, in this country.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

mike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    Ya, where do you get nonGMO corn? And I wouldn't call any sweet corn "nonGMO" since it was created in a radiation experiment.
    Radiation experiment? You're kidding, right?

lotusberries is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Once a year, once locally famous corn ripens (which is ~September here) I boil a couple of cobs for each of us. My folks eat popcorn once in a while (air-popped, organic, presumably non GMO). I would rather have buckwheat, millet or beans if I decided to eat grains/legumes. Overall though, I find I just don't enjoy corn so much. Used to like corn on the cob and popcorn.
    I can't stand corn on the cob. My husband will stuff himself with Taber corn every year and I really don't see the appeal. He must have eaten 30 cobs last year. The only corn I have is some sprouted organic corn tortillas every once in a while when I want fish tacos.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Ya, where do you get nonGMO corn? And I wouldn't call any sweet corn "nonGMO" since it was created in a radiation experiment.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Radiation experiment? You're kidding, right?
    this is incorrect, internet fear-mongering.

when geo washington's troops were doing a bit of scorched earth to burn out the iroquois, they discovered a cache of super-sweet corn. this became the favored corn crop for whites in a very short time.

History Of Sweet Corn | The Braiser
    correction here:

New York Times says Breeding

[Addendum: As noted in the comments, a correction ran after this Times story was published. Apparently super-sweet corn was not born of a mutation induced by radiation, as originally stated. Here's the Times correction that ran on May 28th:

"This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:
    An earlier version of this article incorrectly referred to the origins of
    super-sweet corn. The corn was the result of a natural, spontaneous mutation,
    not one artificially induced through radiation."]
    - See more at: New York Times says Breeding
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Though perhaps not pertinent to GMO vs organic, below does compare almost identical amounts of cow feed to human feed.

100 gms = 3.5 oz.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Anything that is certified organic is non-gmo. I get the frozen organic corn tortillas from Whole Foods and Bob's Red Mill Organic Corn grits now and then. Don't know how easy it is to get your hands on fresh organic corn on the cob.
    My Recipes are at: www.southbeachprimal.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12