Thread: Anyone else notice sleep disturbances when losing weight? page

marthat is offline Senior Member

Anyone else notice sleep disturbances when losing weight?

Shop Now
    I have been a close observer of my own reactions to my diet, exercise, lifestyle and activities for a long time. I have noticed that weight loss for me comes in "whooshes". I can stay true to the plan and hover at the same weight for up to 2-3 weeks, then suddenly, in the space of 2-3 days, I will drop 3+ lbs. Then I settle at a new lower weight, hover there for a period of time again and then "whoosh" again.

When I am about to have one of these weight loss whooshes, my sleep becomes really crappy. I toss and spin all night, then wake up to a significant weight loss. Sometimes as much as 1-1.5 lbs down from the previous morning. And this will happen for several days in a row.

I'm experiencing one of these "whooshes" at the moment, and realized that I had never seen anything about this on the forums before. It makes sense metabolically, but I wondered if others have noticed similar, or had ever read anything that might explain it (hormonal spikes or drops, temperature regulation, etc??)

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    I actually experienced this last night. I tossed and turned a lot and when I was asleep I had very strange dreams. I am down 1.2 pounds from yesterday though. Very odd.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It is a well-known problem. Sleeping pills are among the body-builders' arsenal of drugs to help them to lean out.

The weight also normally drops in 'jumps' instead of dropping continuously - due to the isostatis (body resists change). It is normal to experience a long plateau for every 10% of BW lost.

Sleep is always a major problem when I drop weight. I sleep 8+ hours when I have more fat on me (in 130's), but 7 hours or less when I am in 120's. Under 120 it is basically insomnia galore - one of the reasons I cannot hold the weight down. Particularly telling is a hunger spike at 2 am that is strong enough to wake me up and keep from falling asleep and lasting 1 to 1.5 hrs.

The things that helped me (and I tried a lot of different things including the torture cold showers before bed) was taking the glucomannan fibre (metamucil did nothing), not restricting carbs/fruit, and, yes, gaining extra fat. I am trying to go back to 120s right now, not sure if carbs/glucomannan will keep me from turning into an insomniac again.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    I never heard of this but as an occas. insomnia sufferer, will pay closer attention now to when my disturbances happen.

Read the other day about Glycine supplementation as a benefit to easing more quickly into deep sleep as it can help reduce core body temp - crazy to consider.