Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Research shows rates of severe childhood obesity have tripled page

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

When will CW followers start connecting the dots???

http://tinyurl.com/ofst7e

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

But hey, we're feeding 'em WHOLE WHEAT pizza now and trail mix made with Cheerios, so it's all good:

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/community/middletown/no-more-sweets-for-school-celebrations-district-says-221859.html

Thumbs up for veggies and fruits, though, as well as eliminating the sugar drinks.

Brad is offline Member

Just a funny story regarding kids.

My son is Primal without even knowing it, or me enforcing it. He's 5years old, and has only consumed two liquids in his life: Breast milk for 18months, and then water. His cousins chase him with their sippy cups full of juice/soda/crap, cause they know he won't even touch a cup with anything but water in it. I'm hoping he keeps it that way, but you never know now with him starting school in the fall.

Florian Guest

"Principals will now offer low-fat pizza on a wheat crust" "And along with other schools in the state, the district got vending machines with low fat snacks and sugar-free drinks." Oh yea please do that but then you will have to readjust the graph for what obesity rates are going to be in 2015... I mean why make fast food supposedly healthy if you can just cut them out?! Is that not common sense? But really they are just interested in appearing concerned to the media.

grandma is offline Member

mrd --- they recommend pretzels over potato chips the fat is bad mentality never quits does it.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080108121942AA6O4O3

look at the answers!

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Brad is offline Member

Sweet, Pretzels are a healthy snack and much cheaper than my bag of almonds, and much more convinient than washing those darn carrots!

Next well have people recomending cheesies as a good source of calcium.

Mick Guest

[quote]

they recommend pretzels over potato chips the fat is bad mentality never quits does it.</blockquote>

I would eat crisps/potato chips like a shot if they fried them in animal fat - or would palm oil work? At any rate all the ones I&#39;ve seen are fried in polyunsaturated vegetable oils, which are quite nasty. The same goes for chips/French fries. I think the Belgians still fry theirs in beef fat. They&#39;re probably the only ones left who do.

To be fair, the "winning answer" does state:
    [quote]

Pretzels certainly have empty carbs and calories.</blockquote>

I think that&#39;s interesting. It shows that the notion that carbohydrate-rich foods perhaps aren&#39;t a good thing is getting through. I&#39;d suspect that&#39;s via the Atkins diet, and also I&#39;d suspect that suspicion is more typical in the U.S. than elsewhere, despite America&#39;s seeming love affair with those types of food.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

The best tortilla chips have always been fried in lard. Still are where Big Agra via NAFTA hasn&#39;t taken over. Usually only found in a few restaurants in the US any more, everyone wants those healthy oils...you know the ones that break down at high temps into free radicals.

Mick Guest

I&#39;ve got some "blue corn" chips in the larder that I bought awhile back. Those are Dutch made and state only maize, seasalt, and non-hydrogenated palm oil. So I guess not every maker uses agribusiness trash to fry in.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Wow... I had one heck of a dream last night. I was standing in the lunch line in grade school, horrified at my options, thinking "I should have packed my lunch." Really strange dream- lol.

Until parents figure out what&#39;s healthy for their kids and what isn&#39;t, there will be no stopping childhood obesity.

I was a fat kid, and my parents indulged me with the snack cakes, the fruit snacks, the toaster strudles for breakfast, and so on. I don&#39;t think they actually meant any harm, but observing my mom now, I just don&#39;t think she knows any better. Dinner HAS to include rice, or pasta, or potatoes, or something.

Most people just "know" that grain is healthy, no matter what form. When you&#39;re living under a certain paradigm, it&#39;s hard to change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast