Thread: Best way to cook up walleye or perch? page

blondiegreen is online now Senior Member

Best way to cook up walleye or perch?

Primal Fuel
    Caught a good feast of it last week but not sure how to cook it without traditional batter. I'm a newbie to cooking/eating fish. Right now it's in the freezer.
    Extra points if you can get my kids to enjoy it!
    Needing some accountability, so here's my stats:
    34yrs old, 5'5"
    CW: 163lbs (07/2014)
    GW: 135lbs or less
    Eating mainly paleo, but including a bit of white rice (don't call the Paleo Police!)

elfman5150 is offline Member
    Personally I love cooking any sweet fish in the oven. I usually put some mustard on top, followed by some herbs like dill and parsley, then bake until it flakes. Guacamole is also really good on fish, too!

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Maybe make a chowder, slice it up and drop it in? I use any kind of fish for that.

primalpete is offline Junior Member
    Saute with butter. Can't go wrong there.

I prefer not to freeze fish if possible. Eat fresh (with in a 1-3 days) or I give it away to someone who will eat it right away. You can also make a stock with the fish heads and bodies, strain, then make a soup with whatever veggies you like (onion, bell pepper, carrots, celery are basics). Turn off the heat and add the fish in once the veggies are soft. If the idea of fish stock is too weird use chicken stock or just water.

BrodieMN is offline Member
    For fillets I like to sprinkle lemon pepper and a little salt on both sides. Make sure fillets are dry.

Fry up some bacon and leave the grease, then add butter.

Fry the fish until flaky. Crumple up the bacon and add on top.

Yummy enough for me.

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    I like to cook it in on the grill in aluminum pan covered with foil, or just wrapped in foil. Generous amount of olive oil, and then I like to season with garlic, lemon, and salt and pepper and make sure fish is coated well with all. Grilling time will vary depending on grill - but cook until flakey. Almost seems hard to overcook if enough oil used (I use lots of oil, not floating in it but enough so its covering the pan on bottom). Just cooked some up last weekend for family and it was a hit for those used to eating it breaded and fried! they were still talking about it the next day.

Oh...and my kids love it!
    Last edited by Stacy15; 07-18-2013 at 12:50 PM.