Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Increased heart rate after cookies page

jammies is offline Senior Member

Increased heart rate after cookies

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone;

For reasons I won't go in to here I have had to eat one freshly made chocolate chip cookie (or some dough) every night for the past three nights. I made the dough from scratch so I know there are no chemicals or preservatives in it.

Each night I noticed that about 1-2 hours late my heart rate was increased and seemed to be a beating "harder" than normal as well. Not a racing, panicky, scary thing....but clearly an biologic response to eating the cookie.

So what is this? Just a response to the sugar? But I have eaten sugar in other setting where this didn't happen. Or is it a quick response to wheat?

Any thoughts? I'm not worried or anything - just curious about the biology and if others have experienced it.

Thanks!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Did you use agave or another fructose containing sweetener? I notice a really strong heart rate based response to fructose. If you're suffering from an autoimmune condition, it may also be a signal that your body isn't really coping well with sweets.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I get this when I eat cake or biscuits: I think it's the wheat actually! Honey / dark chocolate / tea with sugar doesn't do it to me.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Do you low carb it by any chance? Running on fats generally drops your metabolism quite a bit. Carbohydrate is very thermogenic - it is a more "powerful" energy source and increases your thyroid and raises your body temperature. It could just be your metabolism picking up because you just ate a fatty ball of sugar and starch. Low carbing it, I got my heart rate before bedtime all the way down to 42. I've spent the past year of my life trying to raise it back up.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Dulcimina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Hi everyone;
    Each night I noticed that about 1-2 hours late my heart rate was increased and seemed to be a beating "harder" than normal as well. Not a racing, panicky, scary thing....but clearly an biologic response to eating the cookie.

So what is this? Just a response to the sugar? But I have eaten sugar in other setting where this didn't happen. Or is it a quick response to wheat?

Any thoughts? I'm not worried or anything - just curious about the biology and if others have experienced it.

Thanks!!
    I've experienced heart beating harder after eating a lot of sugar (gluten free, so not wheat). Not just that, but I could hear/feel the blood rushing at the pulse in my temple. I thought for sure I was going to burst a blood vessel in my head and die.

Dulcimina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Do you low carb it by any chance? Running on fats generally drops your metabolism quite a bit. Carbohydrate is very thermogenic - it is a more "powerful" energy source and increases your thyroid and raises your body temperature. It could just be your metabolism picking up because you just ate a fatty ball of sugar and starch. Low carbing it, I got my heart rate before bedtime all the way down to 42. I've spent the past year of my life trying to raise it back up.
    I'm not the OP, but I go in cycles of low/moderate carb. Low carb when left to my own devices and I'm not eating a bunch of "treats", higher when I follow an auto immune protocol, because I add things like plantains, cassava and pumpkins for the prebiotics.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulcimina View Post
    I'm not the OP, but I go in cycles of low/moderate carb. Low carb when left to my own devices and I'm not eating a bunch of "treats", higher when I follow an auto immune protocol, because I add things like plantains, cassava and pumpkins for the prebiotics.
    I do the same as well. I feel it is the best way to eat. It maximizes your insulin sensitivity by having frequent high carb days, maximizes your ability to burn fat efficiently by having frequent low carb days and really best mimics natural feast/famine eating patterns and keeps your diet varied for maximum nutrient density. Sounds like you're doing a great job.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    The body tends to react this way to toxic agents. A very prevalent sign is a rapid heart rate.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-18-2013 at 07:50 AM.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Hi everyone;

For reasons I won't go in to here I have had to eat one freshly made chocolate chip cookie (or some dough) every night for the past three nights. I made the dough from scratch so I know there are no chemicals or preservatives in it.

Thanks!!
    Have to eat cookies... Heart rate goes up... I think I figured out your secret identity, Jammies.

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Choco, just wondering how many carbs you consume on your lower/moderate days and on your higher days? Also do you just go by feel or have a plan?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast