Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Increased heart rate after cookies page 2

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    The body tends to react this way to toxic agents. A very prevalent sign is a rapid heart rate.
    The body may react with a high heart frequence to SOME toxic agents, other toxic agents may infact lower the heart rate. A cookie is not a toxic agent as far as I understand. Interesting is the physiological response to sugars and fast carbs when on a low carb diet, the blood pressure goes up and veins pop out on the skin, but this is a normal response, and not patholgical...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    The body may react with a high heart frequence to SOME toxic agents, other toxic agents may infact lower the heart rate. A cookie is not a toxic agent as far as I understand. Interesting is the physiological response to sugars and fast carbs when on a low carb diet, the blood pressure goes up and veins pop out on the skin, but this is a normal response, and not patholgical...
    You mean this is a normal response to an agent that may or may not be toxic in your current circumstance and you hope it doesn't lead to pathology

Anyhow.... Yes SOME toxic agents lead to rapid heart rate. And in a cookie (even a homemade one) its a possibility.

Peter did a good post on what constitutes toxic here Is sugar toxic? The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

But, I'm not necessarily relegating it to just sugar. We're talking bout a cookie, so who knows which constituent produces the effect. Heck it very well could just be a response to an overfeed and subsequent decrease in parasympathetic inhibition and/or increased sympathetic response. This is a known response and could be the most likely mechanism. Did OP have the cookies in addition to large dinners?
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-18-2013 at 12:13 PM.

Stina1115 is offline Member
    Heck it very well could just be a response to an overfeed and subsequent decrease in parasympathetic inhibition. This is a known response and could be the most likely mechanism.
    My thoughts as well - an increase in force-frequency of heart contraction can be attributed to increased binding of adrenaline to the beta adrenergic receptors in the heart, which is stimulated by an up-regulation of the sympathetic nervous system. So basically, this is the opposite reaction you'd get if you were to take beta-blockers, as they block the beta adrenergic receptors (surprisingly enough).

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Same thing happens to me after tasty baked goods, thought it was the sugar as well,
    but then it happened to me after a togo's sandwich AND a western bacon cheeseburger
    from carl's jr., so I'm thinking it's the wheat as well.

That said, it happens after a f*ckton of snickers and twix (tra la la la la), but I'm talking
    GOBS of them.. gobs...

~Anonymous

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghanner View Post
    Did you use agave or another fructose containing sweetener? I notice a really strong heart rate based response to fructose. If you're suffering from an autoimmune condition, it may also be a signal that your body isn't really coping well with sweets.
    It has a mixture of white sugar and brown sugar. I don't think there is any fructose.

I do have an autoimmune condition. How is that related?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Do you low carb it by any chance? Running on fats generally drops your metabolism quite a bit. Carbohydrate is very thermogenic - it is a more "powerful" energy source and increases your thyroid and raises your body temperature. It could just be your metabolism picking up because you just ate a fatty ball of sugar and starch. Low carbing it, I got my heart rate before bedtime all the way down to 42. I've spent the past year of my life trying to raise it back up.
    I don't do low carb. Sometimes I will carb cycle a bit, but mostly I just eat whatever paleo/primal foods look good (or are on sale). I had been doing a ZERO refined sugar things with some friends for two months. It wasn't my first sugar consumption since we ended that but pretty close. I guess that could be related.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Have to eat cookies... Heart rate goes up... I think I figured out your secret identity, Jammies.

I did it all for cookies !!! MMMMMmmm.......cooooookies!

The body tends to react this way to toxic agents. A very prevalent sign is a rapid heart rate.
    I guess this is sort of what I was afraid of. Since my goal with primal is to heal my gut and eliminate my autoimmune disease, that makes me think that even the occasional slip up still causes inflammation. I wonder what the impact of that is in say a week or two?

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I get this too, after eating baked goods...not just sweet stuff, but home made biscuits (my kryptonite), bread, plain pancakes & waffles, tortillas, pizza crust, etc. Home made. No mystery ingredients.

If it doesn't make me want to lie down and take a nap, then I can actually feel thee sensation of blood pulsing through my veins and my heart beating faster/harder for a couple of hourse after eating. Occasionally even a sensation of breathlessness.

Sugar from fruit, chocolate, candy or ice cream doesn't do this to me. Just floury baked goods.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

JackieM is offline Junior Member
    Mark wrote an article about this. Apparently the body releases epinephrine in response to a surge of carbs. What Happens to Your Body When… You Carb Binge? | Mark's Daily Apple

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast