Thread: Hey, Canadian woman, doing her research and hoping to talk to Groks.. page

Jendara is offline Member

Hey, Canadian woman, doing her research and hoping to talk to Groks..

Shop Now
    Hey all,
    As I said, I'm Canadian, female, 26 and in pretty decent shape. (5'4 /119lbs)
    I am currently following no diet plan, I never have.
    If you asked me how I ate, I have to swing towards clean eating, grazing and my vice being sugar addiction.

So why am I here?
    Well, my husband is overweight, he has never been the weight he wants to be, I'm currently a SAHM with a 2 year old, and am the main chef/food buyer in the house, I'm also my husbands partner in this challenge of getting him healthy and where he wants to be weight wise.

I get the whole no carb/low carb. I get that refined sugar is a non-necessity that should be cut from everyone's diet completely.
    I read "The Paleo Diet" by Loren Cordain, and was a bit taken aback at the sheer harshness of the diet.
    Little reg flags pop up when I read things like 'no dairy' 'no eggs', 'no quinoa/kasha/millet' 'no yogurt' (what about active bacteria??) 'no olives' 'no cheese' 'no pickled food'.

Now I'm just starting to learn the Primal diet, and it looks less restrictive, which is good; but as my interest is mainly weight loss, I wonder how much of this is actually healthy for you.

Is there a list anywhere here of "thou shalls" and 'thou shall nots" for food?
    I could really use the help in this endeavor and maybe a kind primal person could help me along.

Thanks in advance,
    ~ Jen

Driedmango is offline Senior Member
    According to the majestic rules of primal (which I dont always follow):

Thou shall:
    Eat eggs!
    Eat meat (beef, chicken, fish, whatever you want)
    Eat fruits and veggies (primal does not equal low carbs, contrary to popular belief. Low carb makes me binge, but it could work for your hubby!)
    Consume dairy, if you don't react badly to it (including yogurt and cheese)
    Eat the olives and eat the pickles
    Cook in butter/ghee/coconut oil
    Eat nuts (in moderation, since his goal is to lose weight).

Thou shall nooot:
    Eat grains (no bread, no pasta, etc.)
    Consume sugar
    Eat processed crap!

Basically try and keep things as natural as possible. I would also suggest your husband try out lifting, if he hasn't already. It'll make him feel good, and really help with his body.

Ive probably forgotten something or the other (or many things!) but i hope this helps!

ETA: this might help: http://loveandprimal.com/wp/2013/02/...ng-primal-101/
    Last edited by Driedmango; 07-17-2013 at 06:44 PM.
    Attitudes are contagious, make yours worth catching.

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendara View Post
    I get the whole no carb/low carb. I get that refined sugar is a non-necessity that should be cut from everyone's diet completely.
    I read "The Paleo Diet" by Loren Cordain, and was a bit taken aback at the sheer harshness of the diet.
    Little reg flags pop up when I read things like 'no dairy' 'no eggs', 'no quinoa/kasha/millet' 'no yogurt' (what about active bacteria??) 'no olives' 'no cheese' 'no pickled food'.

~ Jen
    Not just a non-necessity, do a little research and see how refined sugar/insulin levels are linked to many diseases such as cancer, diabetes and has even has been linked to hyperactivity, ADHD, anxiety, irritability, reduced performance in school, juvenile delinquency and mental illnesses like schizophrenia. Not to mention the obvious obesity link !

As regards the other foods you mention I still eat dairy(love Greek yogurt ), olives, pickles and occasionally Quinoa.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    All of those foods are known to cause problems in a lot of people. Might YOU be the person who can eat olives? Sure, but right now you don't know. Cutting all that junk out and getting some control is a good place to start. Then with a clear head you can decide what to add back in.

I think there is something else about this to- most people who battle their weight feel pretty hopeless. Handing it over to someone else can be a huge relief and confidence boost. You know what you have been doing (or your husband in this case) hasn't been working, so why not try what someone else says to do?
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

NativeHoodrat is offline Junior Member
    Well I am in the same boat as your husband. I am 34 y/o male who has not been a healthy weight since before 7th grade. I did the weight watcher thing and lost some weight but could not stick to the points. One day a former co-worker said she was starting her 30 day paleo challenge. I read up on it and said hey I can cut all that out for 30 days and see how I feel.

I cut out all grains, dairy, and sugar. The first week was hard and I had to cheat a couple of times in the first two weeks. My wife some what jumped on board and I started to feel better and was losing weight. I am 1.5 months in and lost about 16 lbs and don't miss any of the things I cut out of my diet. We even went on vacation for 2 weeks and slipped in our eating and could not wait to eat real food again.

My suggestion is to give the 30 days of no grain, dairy, or sugar and see how you feel. After 30 days you can start adding little amounts back in but you might not want too.

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    I would recommend adding "Perfect Health Diet" to your reading list and do something that hovers around primal and PHD.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member

Jendara is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Driedmango View Post
    According to the majestic rules of primal (which I dont always follow):

Thou shall:
    Eat eggs!
    Eat meat (beef, chicken, fish, whatever you want)
    Eat fruits and veggies (primal does not equal low carbs, contrary to popular belief. Low carb makes me binge, but it could work for your hubby!)
    Consume dairy, if you don't react badly to it (including yogurt and cheese)
    Eat the olives and eat the pickles
    Cook in butter/ghee/coconut oil
    Eat nuts (in moderation, since his goal is to lose weight).

Thou shall nooot:
    Eat grains (no bread, no pasta, etc.)
    Consume sugar
    Eat processed crap!

Basically try and keep things as natural as possible. I would also suggest your husband try out lifting, if he hasn't already. It'll make him feel good, and really help with his body.

Ive probably forgotten something or the other (or many things!) but i hope this helps!

ETA: this might help: Eating Primal 101 - Love and Primal
    Thank you! That does really help a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Not just a non-necessity, do a little research and see how refined sugar/insulin levels are linked to many diseases such as cancer, diabetes and has even has been linked to hyperactivity, ADHD, anxiety, irritability, reduced performance in school, juvenile delinquency and mental illnesses like schizophrenia. Not to mention the obvious obesity link !

As regards the other foods you mention I still eat dairy(love Greek yogurt ), olives, pickles and occasionally Quinoa.
    Now, even if you're trying to lose weight would you still eat dairy, and quinoa? Or is that more because you're where you want to be weight-wise and are now just maintaining a healthy lifestyle?

Quote Originally Posted by NativeHoodrat View Post
    Well I am in the same boat as your husband. I am 34 y/o male who has not been a healthy weight since before 7th grade. I did the weight watcher thing and lost some weight but could not stick to the points. One day a former co-worker said she was starting her 30 day paleo challenge. I read up on it and said hey I can cut all that out for 30 days and see how I feel.

I cut out all grains, dairy, and sugar. The first week was hard and I had to cheat a couple of times in the first two weeks. My wife some what jumped on board and I started to feel better and was losing weight. I am 1.5 months in and lost about 16 lbs and don't miss any of the things I cut out of my diet. We even went on vacation for 2 weeks and slipped in our eating and could not wait to eat real food again.

My suggestion is to give the 30 days of no grain, dairy, or sugar and see how you feel. After 30 days you can start adding little amounts back in but you might not want too.
    I read your post to my hubby and he was extremely encouraged! Thank you so much for sharing your story with us!
    Hubby is starting to go through his wheat withdrawal (oh the fun!) but it's stories like this that keep him encouraged.

So are you maintaining the no dairy, even though you're past the 30 days?
    And if I could just bug you just a litttttle bit more, what are your favourite snacks to munch on when you do get peckish?

Thanks~
    ~Jen

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendara View Post
    Thank you! That does really help a lot!

Now, even if you're trying to lose weight would you still eat dairy, and quinoa? Or is that more because you're where you want to be weight-wise and are now just maintaining a healthy lifestyle?

I read your post to my hubby and he was extremely encouraged! Thank you so much for sharing your story with us!
    Hubby is starting to go through his wheat withdrawal (oh the fun!) but it's stories like this that keep him encouraged.

So are you maintaining the no dairy, even though you're past the 30 days?
    And if I could just bug you just a litttttle bit more, what are your favourite snacks to munch on when you do get peckish?
    ~Jen

Thanks~
    Good question !

When I originally went low carb I thought that Quinoa was accepted, it was only after joining these forums etc that I realized it is also frowned upon. The weight quickly fell off both myself and my wife so I didn't see any harm in keeping the Quinoa in my diet. Same goes with the dairy, we eat a lot of yogurt but not too much cheese and very little milk.

I'd say cut out the main bad guys- Bread, Pasta, Rice, Fruit juice and any other obvious refined sugars. If the weight loss is still not dramatic enough then start eliminating other items such as dairy etc. It's all trial and error, what works for one person might not work for another.

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    Learn More
    Please look at the two links posted above by EatMoveSleep

It's essential that you (and/or hubby) understand what you are doing and why before simply asking for a list of foods to eat/not eat which is basically just another "diet". I HIGHLY suggest you and your husband read Mark's book first (this is not just a plug but really provides you better context). This is not just a diet and the focus should be on improving health which often includes weight loss but isn't ONLY about weight loss.

You can also read Robb Wolf's website and book. Remember this isn't necessarily a low carb diet. There can be some benefits to some people but folks like me (healthy weight, active etc) need a good amount to stay properly fueled.

Anyone that says that there are strict rules to this lifestyle don't really "get it" imo. Especially if the food changes present a drastic difference to what you are currently doing, please take it slowly so that you stick to it long term. You don't have to suddenly stop eating everything! DO it gradually so it's easier to implement.

Lots of resources on the forum but it can get confusing so I would stick to the "bibles" (Mark's books) for now and go from there.

Good luck!