Thread: Brain Fog page

Myvstar1100 is offline Junior Member

Question Brain Fog

Primal Fuel
    So I'm totally loving the results of the No Grain way of living. I like not having to exercise so constantly and for so long. I love not having to count calories, love snacking on nuts and sunflower seed butter. I love how my stomach has reduced back to where it should be, some pounds have come off and I'm no longer having tummy troubles.

The only carbs I get are from fruits and veggies. I'm rarely hungry and eat until I'm satisfied when I am.

My problem is that I have brain fog. I can't concentrate, can't make sense of simple stuff. Carbs are brain food and it's fairly obvious to me that I must be doing this wrong if my brain seems to be starving for food.

Has anyone ever had this? Is there something obvious that I'm missing? I can't see going back to a diet high in grains and starchy carbs....but I can't see carrying on like this either.

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member
    I'm in the same boat; I actually just posted recently in the Meet and Greet section, the 'I fought the brain fog' post.

I'm eating right, but I can definitely improve in the exercise area.

Try to make sure that you have adequate micronutrient intake. This can be the B-Vitamins (B12 in particular is meant to be great) or just a general deficiency in particular. A high-quality multi-vitamin/mineral supplement, combined with a fish-oil supplement for adequate omega 3, should help.

I'm sorry that I can't be more specific, but I'm in the exact same situation. I'll help as much as I can!

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I'm no stranger to brain fog (but more from endocrine issues). I find the herb rhodiola rosea to be extremely helpful for brain fog/concentration.
    It's been extensively studied in Russia and found to increase resistance to stress, energy and endurance (both mental and physical), is a good cardiovascular tonic, antioxidant and great for high altitude problems. Some people also find it effective as an antidepressant.

You can take between 100-400 mg at a time. I take about 200 mg. as needed. I've read that lower doses are more stimulating and higher ones are more relaxing. I can't comment on that- I would just play around to find what feels right for you and I wouldn't take it in the evening, since it could make you feel too alert to fall asleep.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been following the Primal plan?

On any low carb plan, it's normal to have the "low carb flu" for the first few days (up to 2 weeks if you're really unlucky). One of the symptoms is brain fog. This happens because your body is switching over from carbs to other energy sources: basically your body goes "There has to be some more sugar around here somewhere!" for a while before it gives up & flips the switch to burning fat.

If that's what it is, you just have to ride it out.

If it's been more than a week or two though, I got nothing. Good luck, I hope this helps.