Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to PB but not new to low Carb page

Emofedom is offline Senior Member

New to PB but not new to low Carb

Hello All,

About ten years ago I was following Dr. Atkins. I lost about 20 pounds. It was in an effort to make weight for the military. My enlistment depended on it, so I had the motivation. Now here I'm ten years later struggling again to break free of all the unnecessary carbohydrate with new motivation. I've return home to Texas with chronic pain from injuries gotten during my tour. I have a ten month old son that I love playing with, but unfortunely my back can't hold up to constantly picking him up. Upon researching joint pain and natural remedies... I came across PB.

Maybe the world is trying to tell me something!! Gluten is my friend?!?!

So here I am... 35yr old female.
    Height 5'8"
    Starting weight. 188
    Current weight 176
    Goal weight 140

I know the weight loss will be a great for my back but I'm also looking forward to the joint pain decreasing once gluten is out of my diet for good!!

JoreyTK is offline Junior Member
    Good luck to you. I've found over the years of low carbing that I need to keep my carb levels down but sticking to whole foods. PB and Atkins can work hand in hand very well. In fact, on the Atkins official website there are a bunch of threads where some Atkins folks are doing Whole30 challenges.

Sorry, Gluten isn't anyone's friends except for BigAg who make millions off it.
    JoreyTK
    Low Carb since August 2010

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Hi Emofdeom, Welcome. No Gluten is not your friend. PB is NO grains (of any kind), no sugar, and dairy only if you have no adverse responses to it.

Do read "The Primal Blueprint", it explains everything.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Has anyone heard that Red Meat can also be an inflammatory? I don't know how much research has been done or if the allegation is even legit. Does anyone know?

No, red meat does not cause inflammation. We have many, many people here, who of course eat lots of red meat, whose C-RP is 0.2. That's about as low inflammation as an alive person can get. Yes, lots of research has been done on it. Look in PubMed for these.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    No, red meat does not cause inflammation. We have many, many people here, who of course eat lots of red meat, whose C-RP is 0.2. That's about as low inflammation as an alive person can get.
    C-RP I take it is a blood test level? What's the normal ranges? I have blood test every 3 months for a pituitary tumor. It would be interesting to me to be able to see if mine is elevated due to my diet, and to see how much of a difference this PB lifestyle makes.

Emily
    "Adapt and Overcome"

Pinot-Girl is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Emofedon,

I had pretty bad joint pain (arthritic) and one day didn't eat my oatmeal breakfast and realised at noon I hadn't taken the normal mountain of pain killers........... it was my lightbulb moment, and since then, I suffer no arthritic pain. Sadly I have a new nerve pain which won't go away, but that is another story.....

Welcome and good luck. Get that gluten out of your system - you won't realise what it does to you till then. My hives and swelling went away too!

PG!

byounghusband is offline Junior Member
    Emofedon,
    Another Texas PB'r. Cool.

I'm just starting my Primal journey, so I don't have a lot of those answers yet, but I do believe this is a great way to get in the best health of your life... As for the Chronic Pain you are experiencing, there is a method of stretching and exercising that will align your body and joints they way it was designed. Contact me for more info, as it is my son who is a therapist.

Quote Originally Posted by Emofedom View Post
    C-RP I take it is a blood test level? What's the normal ranges? I have blood test every 3 months for a pituitary tumor. It would be interesting to me to be able to see if mine is elevated due to my diet, and to see how much of a difference this PB lifestyle makes.
    Yes, it's a blood test for general inflammation in the body as a whole. Here's my last one:
    C REACTIVE PROTEIN, WIDE RANGE, SER/PLAS <2.5 mg/L 0.9

The <2.5 mg/L is the range. The lower the better, but under 1.0 is considered good. There are more specific tests, but these are for specific areas.

PB WOE has greatly lowered my inflammation and decreases joint pain. Mostly giving up all nightshades and sprinkling turmeric on many things decreases arthritis and joint pain.

In general, no grains, no sugar or substitutes, and low glycemic load index foods.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by byounghusband View Post
    Emofedon,
    Another Texas PB'r. Cool.

I'm just starting my Primal journey, so I don't have a lot of those answers yet, but I do believe this is a great way to get in the best health of your life... As for the Chronic Pain you are experiencing, there is a method of stretching and exercising that will align your body and joints they way it was designed. Contact me for more info, as it is my son who is a therapist.
    Good deal. Always looking for ideas. I've seen lots of chiropractors and physical therapist in the past, but boy does it get expensive especially when your not getting any better.

How are you doing so far on PB? I thought it would be harder than I am finding it. So far the only thing I struggle with is going out to eat. It's had to get a gluten, sugar, dairy free meal. I guess I'll save money by not eating out though!! Lol

Emily
    "Adapt and Overcome"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast