Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constantly thirsty page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Constantly thirsty

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone else have this problem? If so, do you know what could cause it / help it?

I've had the issue for a few years, and very little seems to help. I can pound water and still feel thirsty. Coconut water helped a lot, but I would usually end up drinking two litres a day to quench my thirst. Now I'm trying not to drink my calories and I'm gasping all the time. Salted water is helping a little.

I know an unquenchable thirst is a symptom of diabetes, but I've been checked several times and definitely don't have it.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Try sipping water, not guzzling. The more you drink the thirstier you get. Also don't keep water within reach all the time. Make a point of having to get up and fill a glass.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I am just like you! I used to ingest massive quantities of whatever liquid I could find. After Primal, that became harder to do! But the intense thirst and clear pee kept me drinking too much water anyway. I find it gets better when I'm faithful with my electrolytes and only drink water after I pee and see that it's yellow, not clear. Granted, my morning coffee buys me some clear pee, so I just hold off until I see yellow. I also find every excuse to get electrolytes into my body, as I'm prone to cramps and seem to dump my electrolytes at the drop of a hat. My current regimen, when in full bloom (as now in the summer heat) includes all of the following, and wards off thirst:

Dark chocolate, for the magnesium.
    Molasses in my coffee, about a tablespoon. That gives some potassium, some magnesium and lots of good minerals.
    Magnesium by supplement (sigh, I hate it, but have found no better way to really get it up there!)
    "Lite" salt, potassium chloride on my dinner most nights.
    Salty food, specifically bacon and sauerkraut, on a somewhat regular basis.
    And if I feel a cramp coming, baking soda, just a teaspoon or two stirred into water or coffee. No idea if that directly helps with the thirst, but it doesn't seem to hurt.

I thought I might have diabetes insipidus, too. Labs came back normal, though, one yearly exam when I asked about it.

As above, never carry a water bottle. Slight dehydration is quite fine and good to be accustomed to. I keep a cup at the sink and drink a glass or two when I'm sure I need it.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 07-17-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

JackieM is offline Junior Member
    Consider looking at your sodium to fluid ratio.

I have a medical condition called Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome or POTS, a form of Dysautonomia. Is a long story, but part of POTS in my (and many others) case is low blood volume (hypovolemia). Prior to my diagnosis of POTS, I was always thirsty. I drank glass after glass of water all day long. It never occurred to me this may be a sign I needed more sodium because my understanding was sodium tends to makes us more thirsty. After my POTS diagnosis, I had to increase my sodium/fluid intake as this helps increase blood volume which is helpful for anyone with hypovolemia, but especially helpful for people with POTS as we do not get enough blood to our head. My hometown cardio was clueless about POTS and failed to do a 24 hour urine test, so he just blindly gave me numbers to shoot for.

When I went to Mayo Clinic, I found out through the urine test my sodium to fluid ratio were messed up. I was consuming tons of sodium (2000 + mg a day), but consuming so much water that the sodium was being flushed out of my body. Without adequate sodium, my body couldn't hold on to fluid, so I was always thirsty and fluids just went right through me. I now consume 3000-3500 mg of sodium a day and 3 liters of fluid, sometimes more. I am not recommending you consume this much, I am just suggesting maybe your ratio is out of whack. This is a lot of sodium and fluid, but necessary for my health condition. Despite all of the sodium, and gaining about 4 pounds after I get in my morning 2 liters of fluid and 2500 mg sodium, I do not look or feel bloated.

I have been told urine should be light yellow. If it is clear and you are still very thirsty, you may not be retaining fluids adequately.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I was going to second what Sandra said. I have chronic low level hyponatremia, and then when I control my food a little of my obsessiveness goes into water... A little thirsty? Have two glasses! Which got me into big trouble a couple of years ago. And I can't use a camelback because I will just drain it until I pass out. I have to drink my one glass and Walk Away.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Drinking a bit more than the body strictly needs to be in balance is good for you and it may help to flush out more toxins. It can mess up the balance of electrolytes though, so make sure to refill sodium, water soluble vitamins and minerals. Personally I overdrink a bit in the morning to help the body to get well hydrated and to flush out stuff. Drinking too little will often produce water retention/edema and make you look fatter...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the info everyone! I have to say though: it seems counter intuitive not to drink. My lips start to get parched if I don't...

Quote Originally Posted by JackieM View Post
    Consider looking at your sodium to fluid ratio.

I have a medical condition called Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome or POTS, a form of Dysautonomia. Is a long story, but part of POTS in my (and many others) case is low blood volume (hypovolemia). Prior to my diagnosis of POTS, I was always thirsty. I drank glass after glass of water all day long. It never occurred to me this may be a sign I needed more sodium because my understanding was sodium tends to makes us more thirsty. After my POTS diagnosis, I had to increase my sodium/fluid intake as this helps increase blood volume which is helpful for anyone with hypovolemia, but especially helpful for people with POTS as we do not get enough blood to our head. My hometown cardio was clueless about POTS and failed to do a 24 hour urine test, so he just blindly gave me numbers to shoot for.

When I went to Mayo Clinic, I found out through the urine test my sodium to fluid ratio were messed up. I was consuming tons of sodium (2000 + mg a day), but consuming so much water that the sodium was being flushed out of my body. Without adequate sodium, my body couldn't hold on to fluid, so I was always thirsty and fluids just went right through me. I now consume 3000-3500 mg of sodium a day and 3 liters of fluid, sometimes more. I am not recommending you consume this much, I am just suggesting maybe your ratio is out of whack. This is a lot of sodium and fluid, but necessary for my health condition. Despite all of the sodium, and gaining about 4 pounds after I get in my morning 2 liters of fluid and 2500 mg sodium, I do not look or feel bloated.

I have been told urine should be light yellow. If it is clear and you are still very thirsty, you may not be retaining fluids adequately.
    Thanks for all this info Jackie! Very interesting. I don't have that condition, but there is lots of useful into. I definitely don't absorb the water I drink: I sweat and pee a lot. Perhaps that's why drinking coconut water helps me compared to regular water: it's packed with electrolytes. I've been drinking slightly salted water for the last two days, and hopefully that's helping.

Is all that water helping, or do you still feel thirsty?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Salt is a good start, but you need to bump up your potassium to balance it.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

It helps so much because now I actually hold on to my water. I could definitely see sodium to fluid ratio being an issue for otherwise healthy people who think they are doing themselves a favor by going crazy with their fluid consumption. I still get the urine test every 6 months to adjust as my body changes. The last poster is correct that you'll also want to pay attention to your potassium levels. An easy way to do this is get the low-sodium salt. It's a mixture of potassium and regular old salt. Campbell's tomato juice also has potassium in addition to a lot of sodium. I know the packaged juice may not be primal, but it is low in carbs and my health comes first.

Another tip -- Some people I know with issues similar to mine just add some salt or low-sodium salt to their water. Make sure to get low-sodium, not sodium free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast