Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to say to people who just won't let it go? page

jilly is offline Senior Member

What to say to people who just won't let it go?

Primal Fuel
    I have a good friend who went to school for exercise science to become a teacher/coach, so she had to take a few nutritional classes in college. (Very recent, she just graduated in May) So her views on health are, to say the least, a bit skewed. We work together and eat out often for lunch (trying to stop that though, too expensive!) and sometimes I fall off the wagon with my eating but I am full force back on with new motivation. But I have been eating off and on with the primal lifestyle for a while. And every time (EVERY SINGLE TIME) I don't eat a tortilla with my breakfast taco (which is left with only eggs, bacon, cheese, and salsa) she says, "OMG, youre being ridiculous. Just eat the tortilla. its good for you." I don't provoke it, but she gives her opinion anyways. I always politely just say, wheat is not a part of my diet, I'm not going to eat it. And she just thinks I'm so crazy. Which I don't care, believe me. We all will probably get looks and comments about our way of life for a while until society gets it. But EVERY SINGLE TIME gets really old. When I don't eat a hamburger bun. Or a taco shell. Or bread. Or pasta. She has to comment every time. And I don't want to be mean. But her views on health are what she learned in school. I even asked her once, "If you were going to try to lose weight, (and she definitely has a little to lose) what would you eat?" Her response was, "umm, I don't know, what do you mean?" I said, "If you were going to devise a plan, what would you eat for breakfast to lose weight?" Her response was, "I don't know, cereal maybe?" And it kills me that she's even unsure about herself!!! And she's trying to give me advice and tell me I'm the crazy one! We have had many discussions where I try to be reasonable, and it just ends up with her calling me ridiculous (her favorite word) and compared this diet to doing cocaine. I told her this diet helps me lose weight, and she said, cocaine makes you lose weight too, but that doesn't make it healthy for you.

I guess this is more of a rant than a question, but I still need something to say to her. We joke around all the time so it would be weird if I got super serious about it and was like, hey, chill out. Stop lecturing me. But its really hard to be such good friends with someone so closed minded about food. She thinks because she took her classes, that's it. That's what's right. She thinks bacon is the devil (even though she eats everything that she thinks is bad, she is not health conscious at all. Which in her mind would be avoiding fat) But she drinks soda with every meal, and all kinds of sugary things as snacks. And I so badly want to be like, you make fun of me for taking my hamburger bun off, but youre going to eat a honey bun AND a bag of M&Ms!!?!?!?

END RANT thank you

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Just tell her that when you want her opinion, you'll beat it out of her.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Every time she does eat bread/tortillas/pasta/etc tell her:

"OMG, that's so bad for you! You should stop eating that stuff, don't you know what gluten does to your body? OMG!"

She'll get annoyed soon enough and you'll both stop. Probably...

LibbyLou is offline Member
    Being vegan for the past 2 1/2 years, I know just what you mean about the comments, looks, assumptions, opinions being thrown at you. I have learned to just ignore it, really. Now that I'm thinking of changing my way of eating again, I can only assume it will be even worse than ever, especially coming from people I touted veganism as being THE way to.

Have you ever asked her how nutritious she really thinks all the soda and other sugary things she eats and drinks are?

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Seriously, just eat the tortilla, it's good for you...

Kidding. If it gets to the point where you can't handle it anymore, just stop eating with her. If she can't grasp that you're trying to make an improvement in your diet, then she shouldn't be a part of your life on a daily basis. I know you said that she's a good friend, but if it really bugs you, just stop going to lunch with her.

Oh, and don't do what quikky said. This will lead to more issues.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

ColoradoSteve is offline Senior Member
    Just say that you don't like tortillas (or whatever you aren't eating)..
    Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I can BIG time relate to this one:

I had a girlfriend once that was a personal trainer....and I don't mean like on the side. I mean that she was a big timer, worked at a huge gym, saw people 10 hours a day straight. She was a genetically gifted woman, so when she was 20 she did her normal CW and looked like a million bucks. She had every cert known to man, taught about 5 different classes, and overall looked like an Amazon.

Fast forward 7 years to about 18 months ago, and she has an office job. She still worked out like a lunatic, prob 6 days a week with hour sessions, still on the CW....problem was she was no longer so trim. She had put on probably 25lbs, which to a woman like her was a catastrophe. We still talked occasionally, and we ended up signing up for a Spartan race with a group we both knew....in short, that did it. She finally popped the question, after ten years of knowing her and me never proselytizing my regimen.

"What do you do to look like that?"

It took about a year, but she looks better than she did at 20 now with primal....my point is this:

1) Let your results do the talking. Everything else is for the posers and magazine readers over compliance crowd.
    2) Emphasize that this is not that hard to do, given the payoffs. Keto is hard. Standard primal is a walk in the daisies.
    3) Never take fitness/diet advice from someone that hasn't been to the "promised land" (being lean or as lean as they desire to be, energetic, and healthy) or been able to lead others to it. There is no other area where talk is cheaper than this one.

Besides, crushing M&Ms habitually has much more cocaine-like qualities than eating a turkey leg. Child please

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    youre going to eat a honey bun AND a bag of M&Ms!!?!?!?
    "OMFG.... you are crazy bitch, carbs make for a fat ass with a big old jiggle of cellulite. "

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

LibbyLou is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    "OMFG.... you are crazy bitch, carbs make for a fat ass with a big old jiggle of cellulite. "
    That might do the trick. LOL!

Chasintrail is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "Piss off"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast