Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What to say to people who just won't let it go? page 2

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Every time someone tries to tell me something I'm doing is bad for me I just give them a blank stare, pull up my shirt and look down at my abs, stare blankly back at them, then back at my abs. Drop my shirt back into place, shrug, and say "Eh, my body must've missed that memo."

little12 is offline Member
    I had a friend JUST LIKE THIS. Have a friend--we're still friends but she lives elsewhere now. If you want to say something when she whips out those M&Ms, then do it! Do it jokingly and then say "doesn't feel that great does it?". If that doesn't work, use the gluten thing. Mark even says in some of this write ups that you can say you have an allergy. There are seriously worse things to lie about. Tell her you'd been noticing issues so you're seeing if this helps.

As a side note, friends like this usually (at least in my experience) have an underlying goal. If they're eating bad, they want you to eat bad also so they don't feel as guilty. Think about it. If you're the only one at the table that orders ice cream, you feel kinda awful...but if everyone orders it, you don't feel as bad. Generally speaking of course. So because she's eating like crap, she probably wants you to also so you can be fat together and justified.

If that strategy doesn't work, then I'd suggest not going out to eat with her anymore. There is no point being around someone who always does that to you. It's negative and adding negative associations to your food.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Every time someone tries to tell me something I'm doing is bad for me I just give them a blank stare, pull up my shirt and look down at my abs, stare blankly back at them, then back at my abs. Drop my shirt back into place, shrug, and say "Eh, my body must've missed that memo."
    I wish worked with me because I would tell you about 8 times a day to eat more bread and less meat.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jilly View Post
    We joke around all the time so it would be weird if I got super serious about it and was like, hey, chill out. Stop lecturing me.
    Yeah, but. She's not joking around when she constantly rags on you and makes a comment every single time, every single day, right? So........if she's a good friend, you should be able to tell her to knock it off. And you should. Even though it feels weird.

"Good friend, I don't want to hear any more comments about everything that I eat from you. Stop it".

That should be enough. If that doesn't work, stop eating with her. I wouldn't want to deal with her shit every time I sat down to eat. She sounds annoying as hell. And yeah, she thinks she's an expert because.....western medicine. She learned without questioning anything she was taught. That is who she is. And she's not going to change any time soon.

Hope ranting helps
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    just pass it over to her plate and say nothing.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    Yeah, but. She's not joking around when she constantly rags on you and makes a comment every single time, every single day, right? So........if she's a good friend, you should be able to tell her to knock it off. And you should. Even though it feels weird.

"Good friend, I don't want to hear any more comments about everything that I eat from you. Stop it".

That should be enough. If that doesn't work, stop eating with her. I wouldn't want to deal with her shit every time I sat down to eat. She sounds annoying as hell. And yeah, she thinks she's an expert because.....western medicine. She learned without questioning anything she was taught. That is who she is. And she's not going to change any time soon.

Hope ranting helps
    There's a lot of ways to do this. You could point out that she's said this every time you have eaten together and it's getting old.

Or you could just put your tortilla on her plate.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    I guess this is more of a rant than a question, but I still need something to say to her. We joke around all the time so it would be weird if I got super serious about it and was like, hey, chill out. Stop lecturing me. But its really hard to be such good friends with someone so closed minded about food.
    If you are really good friends, she will stop if you ask her to stop. There's no point going along with something that ISN'T a joke to you. "Hey, I'm sure you don't mean anything by it, but I'm getting tired of you constantly picking on my food choices. I'm just not going to eat with you if this continues, okay?" Make it light-hearted and she'll probably apologize and try to back pedal and it'll be fine. If she does it again, move to eat somewhere else and just say, "Okay, see you later," remind her why you're leaving if she's confused, and go sit somewhere else. She'll stop.
    Journal
    Current interests - CrossFit

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    For a conversation you don't want to be participating in, it sounds like you are doing an awful lot of participating. Im left feeling a bit like you want me to take this more seriously than you are taking it yourself.

If you don't want to talk it about it, ONCE make it clear that is your final answer (though you've been waffling so much it would be as hard for her to take you seriously as it is for me to) and if she brings it up again, walk away. The end. If you don't want to participate, don't.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Timthetaco Guest
    "OMG, youre being ridiculous. Just eat the tortilla. its good for you."
    Next time she says something like that about a tortilla (or bread, or pasta), ask her simply: "Why is white flour good for me?" That should stop her dead in her tracks. Perhaps she doesn't realize she's trying to get you to eat something even mainstream dietitians say is unhealthy.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasintrail View Post
    "Piss off"
    +1

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast