Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nutrition for Thicker Hair? page

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member

Nutrition for Thicker Hair?

Primal Fuel
    Hi There!

Wondering if any forum members have tips/advice for growing thicker hair through nutrition. I realize there are some limitations based on genes - but I had thick hair all through childhood and my early teens. Sometime in high school my hair started to get finer to the point now where I find it noticeably thin. I miss having thick, lush hair and would like to have it back - or at the very least, thicker than it is. I've tried topical treatments and biotin supplementation, but haven't noticed much of any improvement - any other ideas of food sources that help encourage healthy hair growth?

Any lifestyle tips? Is one style of brush better than others for hair?

Thanks for the help!
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about brushes or anything, but how long were you taking Biotin?

I lost quite a bit through eating low-carb, so I started supplementing with a high-dose biotin, and obviously added back in the carbs. I mean, it does take a while for new hair to grow back in, and I have long hair. The new growth is 1/3 of the way down now, after about a year.

My hair stylist is always thrilled to see the progress.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Gelatin! Do you have any hormonal issues or symptoms of hormonal imbalance? I'm curious because you hair changed as your hormones would have settled.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Unless your hair loss is caused by a nutritional deficiency, it is unlikely that tweaking your diet or buying supplements will have any effect. Hair growth is seasonal, so if you carefully measure your hair while changing dietary variables, you will likely start to associate changes with the natural cycles of growth and loss.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Castor oil wrap with an egg wash 1x a week for a year gives a woman a lion's mane according to the Polish legend
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

lordgrover is offline Member
    Change parents. It's their 'fault'.

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Gelatin! Do you have any hormonal issues or symptoms of hormonal imbalance? I'm curious because you hair changed as your hormones would have settled.
    None that I'm aware of. My cycles are very regular and apart from being overweight I have no symptoms of female hormone imbalance. I do suspect I might have elevated cortisol levels, which is why stress reduction and management is also playing a big role in my healthy lifestyle changes - and I know that can thin hair too. But even in the last year, when my stress levels have been much lower than in years past I'm noticing progressively thinner and finer hair. (Though again, still working to even further reduce systemic stress through lifestyle and food)

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Unless your hair loss is caused by a nutritional deficiency, it is unlikely that tweaking your diet or buying supplements will have any effect. Hair growth is seasonal, so if you carefully measure your hair while changing dietary variables, you will likely start to associate changes with the natural cycles of growth and loss.
    It could be - that is why I asked if there are supplements or things that might help account for that deficiency which shows in the symptom of having finer hair. While it's certainly true that hair cycles with the seasons as it does with all mammals, mine is getting progressively finer - despite seasonal changes. It is noticeable when I compare photos of myself from previous years and it's noticeable to me in the mirror and when I try to style my hair in ways I was able to in the past but no longer can.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lordgrover View Post
    Change parents. It's their 'fault'.
    Hahaha... Love that! Your picture too

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
    Hi There!

Wondering if any forum members have tips/advice for growing thicker hair through nutrition. I realize there are some limitations based on genes - but I had thick hair all through childhood and my early teens. Sometime in high school my hair started to get finer to the point now where I find it noticeably thin. I miss having thick, lush hair and would like to have it back - or at the very least, thicker than it is. I've tried topical treatments and biotin supplementation, but haven't noticed much of any improvement - any other ideas of food sources that help encourage healthy hair growth?

Any lifestyle tips? Is one style of brush better than others for hair?

Thanks for the help!
    I can relate - my hair is not as thick as it used to be and I want it back! My mom bought these for my birthday. I haven't tried them but they have good reviews:

Amazon.com: Toji: Pure Density 30 Day Supply | Vegetarian Hair Vitamin Supplement | w/ Biotin, DHT Blocker, Horsetail, and Eclipta Alba | Supports Healthy Hair to Grow Faster, Thicker, and Stronger: Beauty

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    +1 for the biotin. You didn't say how long you took it for or how much you were taking...I'm taking 5000mcg/day for about the past six months and it's helped to offset how much I was losing then, which has thankfully slowed to a more reasonable amount of daily fall. I have a ton of short hairs all around the crown of my head so I know it's regrowing and my stylist says it is growing faster than it was a year or so ago.

Also, good suggestion by namelesswonder for the gelatin - it's supposed to be great for hair, skin and nails. It's the next thing I'm trying in my quest to see just how long my hair will go before it stops...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast