Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 54

Thread: Looking for lite version of Crossfit page

  1. #1
    nikatoah's Avatar
    nikatoah is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    12

    Looking for lite version of Crossfit

    Shop Now
    Hi everyone,

    I need some suggestions/direction on what kind of fitness class to participate in that is like Crossfit but not as intense. I tried it for a week and learned that I am definitely not interested in that level of exercise. However, I do want to reap the benefit of strength training but in a group exercise setting. I love the group dynamic that Crossfit inspires but I abhor the militaristic rigor of it. Does a program exist that could be described as Crossfit lite?

    Any and all feedback is appreciated, thanks!!

  2. #2
    geoffspakes's Avatar
    geoffspakes is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    41
    You might want to check out different CrossFit boxes for a different vibe. All of them are different...some more laid back without that militaristic style of instruction.

  3. #3
    quikky's Avatar
    quikky is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,979
    Quote Originally Posted by nikatoah View Post
    ...I do want to reap the benefit of strength training but in a group exercise setting.
    Just to clarify: CrossFit is not strength training. CrossFit entails some strength training, and as a novice you will initially get stronger by doing CrossFit, but long-term CrossFit will not provide your body with the proper stimulus to drive strength gains.

    Do you want to do CrossFit, or do you want to strength train? I would answer that question first.

  4. #4
    dml's Avatar
    dml
    dml is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Rural New England
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Just to clarify: CrossFit is not strength training. CrossFit entails some strength training, and as a novice you will initially get stronger by doing CrossFit, but long-term CrossFit will not provide your body with the proper stimulus to drive strength gains.

    Do you want to do CrossFit, or do you want to strength train? I would answer that question first.
    I've been doing CrossFit for almost three years. I'm still improving in every single lift at age 51. My dead has gone from 365 to 435 doing only CrossFit. My back squat has gone from 265 to 375. I think your statement about CrossFit is too general. It's true of some boxes, I'm sure.

    But more and more boxes are using an approach more like the CrossFit football approach, and that includes heavy periodized power lifts and Oly lifts.

    It's possible that I would have gotten stronger training on my own. But, CrossFit is absolutely providing the stimulus to drive strength gains for me.

  5. #5
    magnolia1973's Avatar
    magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,893
    My Crossfit place has 2 days of strength only, one day of strength and a short metcon and two days of metcons. It's a lot of lifting. We squat and deadlift a ton. I think they care MORE about how you squat, deadlift and bench press than how you do on some met con. I'd actually say the met cons seem like an after thought sometimes. You'd probably like where I work out- we get our strength workout and break out into groups and do that with some trainer oversight. Then if we have a met con we do that all together, but no one is really yelling at you or being a drill sargeant.

    Probably the problem with CrossFit is that it is not uniform, so who knows what you experienced. It's not like say, a Curves franchise where you do the same thing in every location.

    http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

  6. #6
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,206
    Quote Originally Posted by dml View Post
    I've been doing CrossFit for almost three years. I'm still improving in every single lift at age 51. My dead has gone from 365 to 435 doing only CrossFit. My back squat has gone from 265 to 375. I think your statement about CrossFit is too general. It's true of some boxes, I'm sure.
    Imagine the gains you could have had doing dedicated strength training.

    Quote Originally Posted by dml View Post
    But more and more boxes are using an approach more like the CrossFit football approach, and that includes heavy periodized power lifts and Oly lifts.
    If I open a gym, spend a couple hours with a PVC pipe earning my level 1, pay my affiliation fee, and tell everybody to squat, deadlift, bench, press, and power clean (but I call it a "WOD"), is it CrossFit?

    Quote Originally Posted by dml View Post
    It's possible that I would have gotten stronger training on my own. But, CrossFit is absolutely providing the stimulus to drive strength gains for me.
    Great. What would have happened if you had instead signed up for a powerlifting meet and joined a gym where other people compete in such things? Do you think that stimulus would have driven more strength gains for you? I'll bet it would have.

  7. #7
    quikky's Avatar
    quikky is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,979
    People are starting to call anything CrossFit these days. Oh, yeah, if your gym has kettlebells, does clean and jerks, and "WODs", it must be CrossFit.

    CrossFit is a brand of circuit training. If you are not following the methods of Glassman & Co. you are not doing CrossFit.

  8. #8
    quikky's Avatar
    quikky is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,979
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    My Crossfit place has 2 days of strength only, one day of strength and a short metcon and two days of metcons. It's a lot of lifting. We squat and deadlift a ton. I think they care MORE about how you squat, deadlift and bench press than how you do on some met con. I'd actually say the met cons seem like an after thought sometimes. You'd probably like where I work out- we get our strength workout and break out into groups and do that with some trainer oversight. Then if we have a met con we do that all together, but no one is really yelling at you or being a drill sargeant.

    Probably the problem with CrossFit is that it is not uniform, so who knows what you experienced. It's not like say, a Curves franchise where you do the same thing in every location.
    Sounds like you're basically doing strength training with CrossFit-style conditioning thrown in. That's not CrossFit.

  9. #9
    OldSchhool's Avatar
    OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    2,565
    By Cross-fit I take it you mean the over hyped gym classes that encourage poor form, over training and crazy joining costs !

    I'd just join a good gym and read some articles by Drew Baye etc. Train hard and brief using strict slow form to failure.

  10. #10
    geoffspakes's Avatar
    geoffspakes is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    41
    Wow, I've read very little constructive feedback here. Mostly a bunch of sour retorts. Kind of discourages me from participating in these forums.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •