Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Looking for lite version of Crossfit page 5

nikatoah is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Create your own---love it and thanks for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Just to clarify: CrossFit is not strength training. CrossFit entails some strength training, and as a novice you will initially get stronger by doing CrossFit, but long-term CrossFit will not provide your body with the proper stimulus to drive strength gains.

Do you want to do CrossFit, or do you want to strength train? I would answer that question first.
    Thanks for the clarification--I am, almost exclusively interested in strength training. I already do some cardio in the form of hiking, light runs, and mammoth walks! Thanks for the feedback

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikatoah View Post
    Thanks for the clarification--I am, almost exclusively interested in strength training. I already do some cardio in the form of hiking, light runs, and mammoth walks! Thanks for the feedback
    Do Starting Strength. If you can't squat the empty bar, you can start with a steel closet rod ($10 at your local big box hardware store) and zip-tie some small weights on it. Progress 5 lbs a session if you can. If not, less. Just progress.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffspakes View Post
    Didn't even read the article, but crazy. The original poster didn't ask for CrossFit opinions...bashing or love. They asked for suggestions on strength training in a group dynamic.
    Thanks Geoff, spot on!
    I appreciate the link OldSchool and will continue to educate myself on the possibilities

As I try to flesh out what I'm seeking, I'm beginning to see that perhaps it doesn't exist b/c of the nature of a strength-training program--that it's not suitable to a group-based format; better solo or with coach. Do you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Do Starting Strength. If you can't squat the empty bar, you can start with a steel closet rod ($10 at your local big box hardware store) and zip-tie some small weights on it. Progress 5 lbs a session if you can. If not, less. Just progress.
    Thank you!

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    Boot camp style classes can be beneficial in teaching some basics of weight lifting. At least the one I've gone to. Mine did a mix of things with dumbbells and kettlebells (pick your own weight), to hit almost every part of body. Then things like stair running, sprints, burpees, etc. thrown into the mix. I also liked the variety, every class was different in some way. Everything was done at a fast pace and lots of reps for the most part, but I left feeling like I had been worked hard. After a while of doing that I decided to go to an actual weight room so I could do things like squat, deadlift, bench with weight heavier than 25 lb dumbbells, but I think boot-camp was a great starting point. I still go to the class a few times a month when I need a lighter workout, but it still ends up kicking my butt!

Paleo Goth is offline Member
    Hi everyone,

I need some suggestions/direction on what kind of fitness class to participate in that is like Crossfit but not as intense. I tried it for a week and learned that I am definitely not interested in that level of exercise. However, I do want to reap the benefit of strength training but in a group exercise setting. I love the group dynamic that Crossfit inspires but I abhor the militaristic rigor of it. Does a program exist that could be described as Crossfit lite?

Any and all feedback is appreciated, thanks!!
    I had the same experience with Crossfit. Like a few others suggested, I sort of cobbled together my own Crossfit by taking a few classes at my local Club Fitness (Kettlebells, Turbo Kick, Muscle Works, etc.). Eventually I decided it was just cheaper to do these things at home, myself. It does help to have that group motivation sometimes, though!

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    As I try to flesh out what I'm seeking, I'm beginning to see that perhaps it doesn't exist b/c of the nature of a strength-training program--that it's not suitable to a group-based format; better solo or with coach. Do you agree?
    I think that it is kind of hard as a group. The way we do say, box squats is to set up and then everyone takes a turn in small groups of 3 or 4. It's annoying to work with people that lift a lot more or less than you do as you end up reloading and unloading the bar OR end up working at a lighter weight. Now, when we work up to a 1 rep max, it's less annoying- you just keep adding weight. Plus, you have the added benefit of a spotter. But it can get old when someone wants to go up in 10lb increments on a dead lift....

So, I like working with someone who lifts similar weights to me, but hate lifting with people who lift a lot less or a lot more.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Strength training doesn't lend itself to group classes. Boot camp style is muscular endurance rather then strength training. Strengs = how heavy a box you can lift. Endurance = how far you can carry it. Strength workout increases endurance as well; endurance workout does not increase strength. In a group fitness setting, an instructor cannot provide enough supervision when heavy enough weights to stimulate strength development are involved. If it is strength that you are looking to increase, Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5 on your own in a friendly facility will do the trick or hiring a personal trainer if you prefer more companionship than the hellos of the regulars.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Geoff, spot on!
    I appreciate the link OldSchool and will continue to educate myself on the possibilities

Definitely. You will find with a little research that you don't even need weights to make impressive gains. Doing a brief routine of bodyweight exercises( maybe adding some rubber bands for shoulder pressing and curling) using a slow rep tempo ( 5 secs to raise and 5 to lower ) and going to total failure each set will give you some great gains.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast