Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Looking for lite version of Crossfit page 4

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    Haha... I'd divulge my a/s/l, but I only date guys who do Crossfit.
    That's boring! Opposites attract!

emerson is offline Member
    "My argument is that to me it has too many flaws, many of which could/will cause injury sooner or later." - This is true of any athletic endeavor. n=1: with coaching, not a "trainer" but a coach; I've been injured straight up power-lifting at a meager 405 dead-lift. Hurt myself for months with a 225 full clean. I broke a vertebra in my lower back playing high-school football and started the next season. Sprained more ankles than i can count playing basketball. Suffer all manner of aches and pains from running 5k's as fast as i can. Play indoor soccer every Friday sometimes two games in one night. Rough house with my kids everyday even after one of their knees bloodies my nose, and after all that, even some of it in one day, I'll wake up the next day and jump off a 40 foot cliff into Lake Whitney, TX and swim out to the boat. The OP was looking for advice on crossfit "lite" and what she ended up with was a lot of posts saying how crossfit sucks; which isn't necessarily true and advice she already came to herself anyway once figuring out it wasn't for her. OP i live in N. Ft Worth/Keller, TX and within two miles are two gyms that offer, for less than crossfit rates, individual instruction. I personally know one of the owners though i don't go to his gym; I'm certain if you look around where you live you'll find an independent gym owner that wants to help you set goal and work toward them without the crossfit hive mind or the globogym mentality.

Liam is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikatoah View Post
    Hi everyone,

I need some suggestions/direction on what kind of fitness class to participate in that is like Crossfit but not as intense. I tried it for a week and learned that I am definitely not interested in that level of exercise. However, I do want to reap the benefit of strength training but in a group exercise setting. I love the group dynamic that Crossfit inspires but I abhor the militaristic rigor of it. Does a program exist that could be described as Crossfit lite?

Any and all feedback is appreciated, thanks!!
    Suggestions
    - Bootcamp or group training. You won't get super strong because they do bodyweight mostly, but they can get you very fit and be a lot of fun, especially because they are outdoors wherever possible. Despite the name "bootcamp" the ones I've tried weren't militaristic at all.
    - Take up a group sport. Perhaps something you haven't considered before - Rugby, adventure racing, Aussie rules football?
    - Create your own. Find some like minded folks (friends? craigslist? here?) and then find a trainer who will do the style of group sessions you want

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post
    "My argument is that to me it has too many flaws, many of which could/will cause injury sooner or later." - This is true of any athletic endeavor. n=1: with coaching, not a "trainer" but a coach; I've been injured straight up power-lifting at a meager 405 dead-lift. Hurt myself for months with a 225 full clean. I broke a vertebra in my lower back playing high-school football and started the next season. Sprained more ankles than i can count playing basketball. Suffer all manner of aches and pains from running 5k's as fast as i can. Play indoor soccer every Friday sometimes two games in one night. Rough house with my kids everyday even after one of their knees bloodies my nose, and after all that, even some of it in one day, I'll wake up the next day and jump off a 40 foot cliff into Lake Whitney, TX and swim out to the boat. The OP was looking for advice on crossfit "lite" and what she ended up with was a lot of posts saying how crossfit sucks; which isn't necessarily true and advice she already came to herself anyway once figuring out it wasn't for her. OP i live in N. Ft Worth/Keller, TX and within two miles are two gyms that offer, for less than crossfit rates, individual instruction. I personally know one of the owners though i don't go to his gym; I'm certain if you look around where you live you'll find an independent gym owner that wants to help you set goal and work toward them without the crossfit hive mind or the globogym mentality.
    Please re-read my Drew Baye link !

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    Agree with a few others that have suggested bootcamp type classes... I understand you said non-militaristic, but being in the military, I can assure you that many of the "bootcamp" classes are not what you'd find in the military. Again, you'd get stronger and more fit, but it wouldn't necessarily be in the same vein as Crossfit.

OP mentioned some amount of strength training. I can't think, off the top of my head, of a group environment that incorporates any type of HIIT, plus strength training, and is "CrossFit" light. If there is one out there, I'd be interested, not for myself but just for general knowledge. There are gyms that focus on Olympic Weightlifting and if OP wanted to build a better strength base, getting yourself a coach that focuses on this would help get you there.

Agree with heatseeker and want to reiterate, one reason I usually don't hang out on this particular area of the Forum is that I AM a CrossFitter who has seen great gains in strength, comes from a gym where no one has been seriously injured (keep in mind, there are minor injuries just like in every other intense workout environment), and the coaches will make you strip weight the second you show bad form on something heavy. I don't see why EVERY SINGLE Crossfit thread has to degenerate into this argument. "If you don't like it don't read it" right? Well not when those people have to comment on every damn thread. It's not for the sake of discussion at this point - it's for the sake of argument, and it's damn near trolling. I'm not saying it has to be a loving circlejerk, but any topic on Crossfit quickly descends to this and takes away from what the OP was usually asking for in the first place. Annoying as shit. I love MDA and this website changed my life but frankly, I'm glad I didn't start out on the forums, because I would have abandoned ship almost immediately.
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

nikatoah is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Sounds like you're basically doing strength training with CrossFit-style conditioning thrown in. That's not CrossFit.
    Oh, I really like the way that sounds--right up my alley!

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I'm certain if you look around where you live you'll find an independent gym owner that wants to help you set goal and work toward them without the crossfit hive mind or the globogym mentality.
    I am so jealous of people with Independent Gyms. We used to have one and it was great. It closed. It was like $30 a month. But damn, the YMCA and Planet Fitness are all the options we have in my city for gyms. It SUCKS. I've heard the YMCA classes are a joke, and Planet Fitness has pizza day for crying out loud.

The only thing I can think of that is Crossfit Lite is what I used to do, Fight Gone MAD | Intense Intervals. Insane Conditioning. but it is not focused on strength. They are a chain.

I think anytime you are pushing yourself, there is potential for injury. My other hobby is riding, and that is a lot more dangerous than CrossFit. I understand the complaints about the CF workouts but yesterday we did 12/9/6 cleans with handstands "for time". The weights assigned were 135/195 or something. We did 95 lbs on the cleans, and kettlebell shoulder presses. We were told to take our time on the cleans, no one rushed us, I have no idea what my time was. I know I got a lot of advice on my cleans, none of which included telling me to go faster. I did struggle on my presses, but that's a part of getting stronger.

Honestly, any workout program you try YOU need to use common sense. I remember a recent workout taking weight off my bar part way thru. My form was suffering. No big deal, lighter weight and I finished uninjured and no one said a thing to me.

The reality.... I think Crossfit being "brutal" and "hard" is a lot of hype. Yeah, what's posted on the website is often too much for most people. But what happens at the boxes themselves is often a different story. It may not be CrossFit, but it's people getting in better, more effective workouts than they would if the went to the YMCA or "Curves".

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Thanks geofspakes-- perhaps it's not just the "style" of instruction but the "instruction" itself. I'm looking for more of an emphasis on building strength and less on cardio/conditioning. I enjoy hiking, walking and running and feel I get all the cardio I need from these activities.

Thanks for the feedback! Ha, a Curves franchise marries a Crossfit box and has the kind of baby I might be looking for this is tongue in cheek, of course

Love the Old School way! Yes, but I want to do it with 15 other sweaty bodies cheering for each other's success

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast