Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for lite version of Crossfit page 3

geoffspakes is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    To the OP have a read of this article for a more in depth explanation than I could type:

CrossFit | High Intensity Training by Drew Baye
    Didn't even read the article, but crazy. The original poster didn't ask for CrossFit opinions...bashing or love. They asked for suggestions on strength training in a group dynamic.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffspakes View Post
    Didn't even read the article, but crazy. The original poster didn't ask for CrossFit opinions...bashing or love. They asked for suggestions on strength training in a group dynamic.
    What has been your contribution to this discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    My argument is that to me it has too many flaws, many of which could/will cause injury sooner or later.
    IMO there are far more productive ways to workout.
    I think many people share this opinion of CrossFit. I certainly do.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffspakes View Post
    I thought we had discouraged you from participating. I was at least hoping we'd discouraged you from lecturing us on how to have discussions in an internet forum.

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    I think many people share this opinion of CrossFit. I certainly do.
    Exactly and for that reason alone I'm not going to recommend someone do it. I get a great deal of satisfaction from seeing friends and family take up and benefit from good diet and exercise, to have them take up something that would leave them injured, disgruntled and disheartened is totally against what I want to do.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    @ OP

A good bet would be a standard "bodysculpt" class at any GloboGym. They are usually some of the same exercises, minus the timing and expense....really any class that does basic barbell skills will get you the same form gains. Actually doing strength training is almost always a one-person show. It is way too variable in weight, rest period, and general "I ain't ready to squat that yet, gimme a minute" randomness. The number one benefit for a newbie to training that does CF (which I think is a very bad idea) gets from it is barbell skills and hopefully decent oly lift form. Try to find any cheaper method to get this, I would say. Once you learn how to squat, clean effectively, it will always be with you.

In regards to the CF discussion as a whole, Magnolia is right....while the main site usually does post just met-cons or stupid volume workouts (doing 200 pushups for time or some other ridiculousness), a lot of the affiliates have begun to take on the approach of the military boxes. You can look at these on the left side of the main CF page.

The military boxes always separated the workouts into 3 distinct groups: 1) Strength 2) Barbell technique 3) Conditioning

A given workout usually covers 2 of these, but sometimes just one, such as "testing" a big lift 1RM like deadlift. Many of these boxes, like one I went to at Quantico Marine Base a few years ago while at the VA nearby, have progressions and cycles, just like a bodybuilding routine....for example, I was doing one last month that had, as the "strength" for many weeks, the Smolov squat progression. Wendler, Starting Strength, I have seen all of these incorporated into the military box training for a long time. Many of the affiliates are following suit.

The difference is that AFTER you do your Smolov for the day, say a 7x5 squat, you now do a "Fran" or two for time. (pullups and thrusters) The idea of this is NOT to get stronger. We did that already with the Smolov....the idea is to build lactic acid tolerance and to get a hard HIIT cardio workout.

I am not a 100% fan of CF, or really even a 60% fan, but at least it's out of the "you are as fit as your 1RM's are" garbage. If you get out of breath instantly, are slow as hell and uncoordinated, it's no longer impressive if the guy can bench 400. That's just me....but no, it's incorrect to say that if you aren't doing the main site, you aren't doing CF. About 2000 military affiliates would tell you otherwise.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I feel like I've read this thread a hundred times before. You guys need some new material. Anytime anyone breathes the word "Crossfit", here's quikky and Rich with their same old rants, verbatim.

I like you guys and feel that you generally have great stuff to say, and I've learned a lot from both of you, but seriously, might I just suggest that you chill out about Crossfit (and before you yell at me for "telling you what to do", it's just a suggestion). The OP wasn't even asking about it--they were asking what to do INSTEAD of Crossfit, and somehow y'all still hijacked the thread and turned it into the 8,000,000th Crossfit-bashing thread. I don't get it. Did Glassman personally injure members of your family, or something?

Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    I feel like I've read this thread a hundred times before. You guys need some new material. Anytime anyone breathes the word "Crossfit", here's quikky and Rich with their same old rants, verbatim.

I like you guys and feel that you generally have great stuff to say, and I've learned a lot from both of you, but seriously, might I just suggest that you chill out about Crossfit (and before you yell at me for "telling you what to do", it's just a suggestion). The OP wasn't even asking about it--they were asking what to do INSTEAD of Crossfit, and somehow y'all still hijacked the thread and turned it into the 8,000,000th Crossfit-bashing thread. I don't get it. Did Glassman personally injure members of your family, or something?
    Don't tell me what to do!

I do bash CrossFit here and there, I'll give you that (hey, it's good to have dissenting views, right?). However, I think this time I wasn't really bashing it. I pointed out that it is not a strength program, since the OP wanted something like it but with strength. I also pointed out that people are stretching the definition of CrossFit to anything with kettlebells and WODs and such. I did agree with OldSchhool on some bashing, but I think it was pretty light bashing, almost non-bashing, if you will.

I think thread about CrossFit frequently devolve into CrossFit bashing/defending, but I really do try to contribute something useful, at least before the bashing/defending begins.

Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker
    I like you guys...
    I like you too. ...A/S/L?

(kidding... about the A/S/L part...)

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post

I like you too. ...A/S/L?

(kidding... about the A/S/L part...)
    LOL... I had to look up what a/s/l was! Urban Dictionary: a/s/l

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Haha... I'd divulge my a/s/l, but I only date guys who do Crossfit.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast