Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie...and I feel like I'm always hungry! page

little12 is offline Member

Newbie...and I feel like I'm always hungry!

I'm a newbie, so I'm sure alot of you can answer this pretty quickly. This is my first week, so I know the fatigue and such will wear off once my body adjusts. I wasn't a carb-aholic before, but once I started actually looking, I found that there was alot of dumb carbs in stuff I was eating. Anywho...

My biggest issue so far has been hunger! Example: yesterday I had my "big ass salad" with veggies and meat and such. By 4pm, I was pretty hungry...by 5pm I was starving. I was meeting my fiance for supper at chipotle anyway, so that was perfect. I got my fajita bowl with with extra veggies, a whopping scoop of meat, lettuce, salsa, etc etc. By the time I finished it, I literally was sitting there thinking "I could eat another bowl of that I think". I didn't, but I was seriously craving meat. Seriously. When I got home, I grilled up a batch of chicken for more lunch salads this week and ended up eating one of the small ones (about 8:30pm). As I laid down in bed at 10:30, I started getting hunger pangs again!!!!

I guess the good thing is that I'm craving good stuff like meats and veggies. But the bad thing is that I start getting hungry within a few hours after eating. I'm eating good sized meals, so I'm not skimping. Should I up my protein even more?? I worry about the whole "eat as much protein as you want" mentality, but maybe during this beginning phase that is normal??

As a side note, I am doing this as a lifestyle change, but am also wanting to lose weight and "look better naked". However, I suffer from migraines, so going all protein for a whole day would shoot me into migraine-central right now. Not an option. Doing some of those once my body has adjusted, or IF, would be an option...just not right now.

Thoughts or ideas? Like I said, i'm sure alot of you have been through this...

paleodutch is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried adding some good fat? Something like 1-2 tbs of coconut oil per day. That will make you feel full for longer.

I use EVOO in the dressing I make for my salad, but maybe I should look at more. When is the best time to get in fats? (or is there a better time?)

I also haven't dropped any weight yet I don't think. I'll be honest, I was secretly hoping some would start shedding fast. But maybe that won't really happen until my body adjusts? I worry that i'm eating too much protein, but I've been told that that is probably not the case.

GiGiEats is offline Banned
    I think you may not be eating enough protein and fat! Eating 4 ounces of protein and lunch and then thinking your going to make it until dinner at like 7pm.... Is unrealistic! You need about 8 ounces of protein at lunch to keep yourself full until dinner... If that!

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    If you are hungry, eat. If you aren't losing weight later (or are seriously outrageously hungry after a big amount of food), you can worry about calorie restriction or what have you. It seems very common that people undereat when they change their way of eating. There's no optimal time to eat any particular kind of food, just eat it!

Salads are really not filling. Add more meat, maybe some more oil, and just eat more food.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I will offer some of my tips:

- Try to pick consistent meal times. A lot of hunger is driven by ghrelin, and it will push you to eat when it is habitually used to getting food. I eat 2 meals a day on an IF regimen (which I am not suggesting you try yet), but I have found that timing like this is invaluable.
    - Make the last meal of the day high in fat. I go for cottage cheese (with the salad), avocado, or the like. This will keep you satiated later into the following day.
    - Try to "build up the reflex" as I call it. In other words, do the stuff that is going to make you hungry when you are already a little hungry. This means working out semi-hungry, yard work, swimming, etc. I have found that I would be eating a lot anyway, so the little extra build up from the activity is healthy and natural, IMO.
    - Fatty meat is much more satiating than lean. A boneless chicken breast doesn't stay with you like a brisket or pork carnita does. The general trend, for me, is to go lean to fatty throughout the day. Start super clean in the first meal, all protein, make it LOOK like diet food....then for meal #2 it's a ton of fat and protein. This keep the hunger away. If there is one mistake a lot of people seem to make when they go from the SAD to primal/paleo, it's thinking that super lean meat and veg alone is going to fulfill their caloric or hunger needs. It won't. You will get there eventually Grasshopper, but in the beginning the key is compliance, and fat gives you that.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Last edited by TheyCallMeLazarus; 07-17-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Recognizing hunger is a good thing. There is nothing wrong with being hungry. Feed the hunger. Eat more fat and less "filler" (salad greens). Bacon is an appetite suppressant for me.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Thanks all!! I'm experimenting with adding more protein to lunch today to see what that does later. I'm armed with a snack of apple & nuts though just in case! I think part of the struggle for alot of us newbies who had that SAD drilled into their head is the amount of protein. We're so use to hearing that you should only have about 4oz, or whatever, that when we add more our brains say "I dunno...is that going to go straight to your bootie??" It's a work in progress for SURE. And I need to work on breaking through that dogma that I should only eat lean meats.

Lazarus-I really like your concept of going from lean to fatty throughout the day. I think I'm going to try that with my breakfasts!!

For adding fats to Mark's "big ass salad", what does everyone suggest? My dressing has EVOO in it...I'm not a fan of avocado. What about some nuts for crunch?

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little12 View Post
    My dressing has EVOO in it...I'm not a fan of avocado. What about some nuts for crunch?
    Get out. You are no longer welcome here.

Kidding, but man, avocado is good. Just eat more good stuff; you'll figure it out eventually. There's no rush.

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree with most of the comments above.

But first and foremost I would focus on eating well. Weight loss and calorie restriction etc can come later. You've made a significant change to your lifestyle so it's important to not overdue it. Be kind to yourself and do not weight yourself for several MONTHS. Really.

Second, EAT! Eat good foods, eat filling foods. Fats are really important. My "creamer" in my morning coffee is coconut oil and egg yolk blended! I eat at least 1 avocado a day. Don't be scared.

Last, also don't be afraid of carbs. Cutting your body off too quickly can put you in a tailspin. Eat some fruit (esp berries) and sweet potato or squash. These are all really good for you. And don't forget to exercise, at least some light walking/hiking for now.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast