Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie...and I feel like I'm always hungry! page 2

NewbiePrimal is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    I asked this question when I first started on my first week or so. I was sooooo hungry. I was eating like a pound to two pounds of meat meat plus vegetables a day... Somehow, not sure how or why It has gotten a lot better for me now that I'm on week 3 now I'm eating in a lot more moderation.

little12 is offline Member
    Did you start to lose weight after that first week?? I'm only on day 5, but I "feel" heavier. I can't say if I am because I put my scale away (per advice of others), but I can tell you my clothes aren't looser or anything like that. They might even feel tighter. Either way, I feel huge...like i'm sitting with a budda-belly.

I'm 5'-6" and 160---my goal weight is 140...but my bigger goal is to "look better naked" as so many others have said. If the number on the scale is higher than that, but I look/feel good, then i'm cool with that.

It's very hard to listen to advice of "eat, eat, eat" when you feel like this. I don't feel as tired today, so that's good. I never really got the carb-flu type symptoms. I didn't feel as famished yesterday like I could run out an attack/eat a cow...so that's good. I just feel fat. Jabba the hutt Which unfortunately makes you second guess yourself or wonder if you messed up.

Yesterday's menu in order: (not lactose intolerant btw)

smoothie: spinach, 1/2 banana, 2 tablespoon of almond butter, unsweet almond milk, scopp of greek yogurt, and a few stawberries
    coffee
    big ass salad with peppers, 3 chicken tenderloins grilled, a spinkle of feta, almond slivers, evoo-balsamic
    apple, pistachios
    ground beef burger (like 1/2 pound), asparagus, onion rings from 1/2 an onion (which are only rings that I broil so they're crunchy) and a little paleo mayo seasoned that i got from a recipe
    a few pieces of celery with almond butter

Thoughts????

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little12 View Post
    d

smoothie: Spinach, 1/2 banana, 2 tablespoon of almond butter, unsweet almond milk, scopp of greek yogurt, and a few stawberries
    coffee
    big ass salad with peppers, 3 chicken tenderloins grilled, a spinkle of feta, almond slivers, evoo-balsamic
    apple, pistachios
    ground beef burger (like 1/2 pound), asparagus, onion rings from 1/2 an onion (which are only rings that i broil so they're crunchy) and a little paleo mayo seasoned that i got from a recipe

thoughts????
    too many nuts.
    Nuts are the biggest newbie mistake.
    Stop eating nuts!!!
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Paleo/primal isn't really high protein. Its more like eat lots of protein, fat and veggies. Sounds to me like you've been eating lots of low fat cuts of meat and vegetables so you haven't been getting as many calories as you need.
    I feel like if you are eating unprocessed, fresh, good food you can basically eat what you what (within limits, i.e. never eat till you feel sick). So just keep eating.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Nuts are really calorie dense, so if you are feeling heavier this might be why. Potentially you could be eating half of your calorie needs a day with the amount of almond butter and nuts you are eating. Otherwise it sounds great.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Did you start to lose weight after that first week?? I'm only on day 5, but I "feel" heavier. I can't say if I am because I put my scale away (per advice of others), but I can tell you my clothes aren't looser or anything like that. They might even feel tighter. Either way, I feel huge...like i'm sitting with a budda-belly.
    Give it 5 more weeks. Primal is not a miracle weight loss plan.

I'm 5'-6" and 160---my goal weight is 140...but my bigger goal is to "look better naked" as so many others have said. If the number on the scale is higher than that, but I look/feel good, then i'm cool with that.
    You're not far off a realistic weight right now. The last 10 or 20 are always slowest to go. That being said, do you have a picture in your head of what 140 looks like? What if you get to 140 and it doesn't match the picture in your head? Take a look at 155 looks like.

You say you "feel" fat, you want to "feel" good. Why does the number on the scale have any bearing on your feelings? If you're truly cool with that, you'll ditch the scale and use your clothes and mirror for measurement instead.

It's very hard to listen to advice of "eat, eat, eat" when you feel like this. I don't feel as tired today, so that's good. I never really got the carb-flu type symptoms. I didn't feel as famished yesterday like I could run out an attack/eat a cow...so that's good. I just feel fat. Jabba the hutt Which unfortunately makes you second guess yourself or wonder if you messed up.

Thoughts????
    You're being pretty hard on yourself. "Feeling fat" is not the same as being fat. Especially if you "feel fat" because you're mad at yourself for not being perfect. Instead of eating for weight loss, why not eat for optimal health and energy and let ideal weight be a result of that?

[/QUOTE]
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

mavo is offline Junior Member
    The sad truth: If you reduce weight, you will be hungry at some point. You can minimize hunger by proper diet though. For me, even being weight stable means a certain amount of hunger per day. Thats life.

fcby9 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    Paleo/primal isn't really high protein. Its more like eat lots of protein, fat and veggies. Sounds to me like you've been eating lots of low fat cuts of meat and vegetables so you haven't been getting as many calories as you need.
    I feel like if you are eating unprocessed, fresh, good food you can basically eat what you what (within limits, i.e. never eat till you feel sick). So just keep eating.
    I'd say that Primal is high fat, medium protein, and relatively low carb (relative to SAD), while Paleo is high(er) protein, medium fat, and low carb. I could be wrong, but that's my hunch.

It's normal to feel hungry at first, partly because I'd imagine that many of us have been on constraining diets in the past, and/or have been indoctrinated into believing the "portion control is key!" ideology as parroted by CW. For me, the most effective approach has been to "up" the protein intake. I'm not really a fan of fatty cuts of meat -- they're just not particularly palatable. But I can (and love to!) eat chicken breast, lean steak, seafood, and the like fried in butter or coconut oil. I do love me some carnitas, though, and it tends to be very fatty.

Do you know for sure that upping protein would worsen your migraines? Do you think that eating an extra HB egg or ground beef could really make that difference? I don't have any background knowledge or personal experience of this myself, so genuinely curious.
    Last edited by fcby9; 07-19-2013 at 08:06 PM.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member

Yesterday's menu in order: (not lactose intolerant btw)

smoothie: spinach, 1/2 banana, 2 tablespoon of almond butter, unsweet almond milk, scopp of greek yogurt, and a few stawberries
    coffee
    apple, pistachios
    ground beef burger (like 1/2 pound), asparagus, onion rings from 1/2 an onion (which are only rings that I broil so they're crunchy) and a little paleo mayo seasoned that i got from a recipe

Thoughts????
    How many calories are you consuming?
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Fats!!! That is not a good breakfast. It's hard at first to dig into the fats, at least it was for me. Cutting that first pat of real butter took some will power after so many, many years of conditioning against it.

For breakfast have 2 - 3 real whole eggs and bacon. Add cheese and anything else you like. Be sure you have fats at every meal. Fats are what satiates, not protein.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast