Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keto Hair page

aprimalmomma is offline Senior Member

Keto Hair

Shop Now
    I have been doing Primal/Keto for the past 2 months...I feel amazing, excellent energy, sleep, skin, etc...weight is and always has been in normal range....would like to lose the last 5 vanity pounds, but not worrying too much about it...anyway, I've noticed that I'm losing a lot more hair on a daily basis and I am growing concerned. Anyone else notice this? I also noticed that my hair is growing a lot faster (need a haircut every 3-4 weeks instead of usual 8 weeks)...any ideas? Thyroid levels were checked about 4-6 months ago and everything was normal...otherwise I feel amazing but am concerned about my thining hair...

I eat 1-2oz of liverwurst daily and 1 C of bone broth daily. All meat is GF, eggs pastured, veggies organic, etc. I get 8 hours of excellent sleep, low stress, walk 1-1.5 hours daily...calories 1200-1400/day 70-85% fat, 50-60g protein, <20 carbs...love the way I feel so don't want to not be ketogenic...any thoughts?

42 yo female

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to hear. Some people have no hair shedding problems on keto, but many do. This is most likely due to not getting sufficient sugar in your diet, which is essential for thyroid health. Personally, I struggled with this same problem for a long time and even now over a year later my hair has not yet recovered 100%.
    I would suggest eating more fruit for starters.

Also, my thyroid tests also came back "normal", whatever that is supposed to mean. My understanding is that doctors do not test the thyroid in enough detail and misdiagnosing or under-diagnosing is a very common occurrence.

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    42 is too young to have thinning hair.
    If it was me, I would add a little bit of carbs up until my hair would stop falling out.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I'm not understanding -- your hair is growing faster, but thinning at the same time? Do you mean you're losing more hair than you can possibly regrow in the same time? If you were just shedding more it could mean unhealthy hair is falling out, but if you're excessively shedding it's likely due to diet stress. My hair fell out a lot during my stint in ketosis, but also regrew a lot slower. It took about 8 months for my hair to normalize after ketosis, but you certainly do need to switch up your diet. Also, topical caffeine can help arrest hair fall. I like to use espresso dissolved in alcohol with progesterone cream and vitamin e since all of these help with circulatory health which is a lot of the problem with low carb diet especially if you notice you feel colder than usual.

One other thing... Do you notice any itching, irritation or anything like that?
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    Yep. I am right there with you. Continued hair loss, despite taking vitamins, minerals, etc..... I am hoping that this is the WORST it can get - because if so, well at least I still have SOME HAIR. LOL!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Your calories sound waaaaay too low! Try upping to 1600-1800 and see what happens.

That said, usually Hair loss when changing diets is usually to do with your previous diet/deficiencies/hormones balancing.

I went from a nutrient dense WAP to a nutrient-dense Primal, 70-100 gm carb diet to a nutrient-dense Primal keto diet with no hair loss. Like you, my hair is growing faster.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 07-17-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    calories 1200-1400/day
    Great, if you're less than 5 feet tall.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    your proteins a bit low actually and you can eat more than 20g carbs and still be in ketosis
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Hotmail is offline Senior Member
    Every time I went LC/VLC within 3 months this happens to me, I start shedding hair, the only way I can stop it is by eating more carbs. I tried to take massive doses of biotin, and higher fat/protein, took kelp you name it, nothing worked until I started eating carbs again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast