Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Keto Hair page 2

  1. #11
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Your calories sound waaaaay too low! Try upping to 1600-1800 and see what happens.
    This.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    And the thyroid/keto story is a myth:
    Low-Carb Diets and T3: A False Alarm | A Worldly Monk
    So this.

    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    your proteins a bit low actually and you can eat more than 20g carbs and still be in ketosis
    And this.
    Plus, the fact that you say you are down to the last 5 vanity pounds I think is important here. You may think you need to lose 5 more but your body may disagree. The stress is showing now because you don't have the reserves to draw on the way you did when you started losing.

  2. #12
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,390
    lol at people who think a few hundred more calories a day will make any difference whatsoever and that they're "starving".

    When I was eating 1800 calories a day(I'm a 6'3 male) on CW diet, my hair wasn't thinning. It was only when I was eating 1800 calories a day on a ketosis diet did my hair start to shed.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

  3. #13
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    When You are already very thin it does make a difference and I don't think strict keto is optimal for the very lean. It is all about mobilizing and burning fat stores. If you don't have much in the way of fat stores, you will starve. When the OP had more storage, they were making up the difference between intake and needs with stored fat. Now they are down to just intake and it's not enough.

  4. #14
    spk's Avatar
    spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington - US
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    ...but if you're excessively shedding it's likely due to diet stress. My hair fell out a lot during my stint in ketosis, but also regrew a lot slower. It took about 8 months for my hair to normalize after ketosis, but you certainly do need to switch up your diet.

    One other thing... Do you notice any itching, irritation or anything like that?
    OK Derp, can you elaborate? You say it fell out a lot while you were in keto & a long time to normalize after. Do you mean you full-stopped keto or came to a balanced keto state after a length of time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    lol at people who think a few hundred more calories a day will make any difference whatsoever and that they're "starving".

    When I was eating 1800 calories a day(I'm a 6'3 male) on CW diet, my hair wasn't thinning. It was only when I was eating 1800 calories a day on a ketosis diet did my hair start to shed.
    You were eating same # calories but thinning on keto....so keto bad for you? Because I'm in a similar boat as the OP but reintroduction of carbs hasn't helped per se.

  5. #15
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,390
    Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    OK Derp, can you elaborate? You say it fell out a lot while you were in keto & a long time to normalize after. Do you mean you full-stopped keto or came to a balanced keto state after a length of time?
    From my journal:

    What I did, after fixing my diet, was vigorously massage my scalp, apply caffeine topical(espresso dissolved in water and alcohol), applied topical t3(t3 dissolved in vitamin e, with progesterone), used ketoconazole shampoo(revita or regenepure, whichever was cheaper) 5mg of biotin a day, and played around with MSM for a little while. Also, loaded up on the b vitamins in addition to making sure my electrolytes, blood sugar, and minerals were replete.

    It took about 3 months to regain most density throughout, because my body is pretty resilient(as seen in the pic), and probably about 8 months for the weird cowlicks that developed on my temples to go away(it was something resembling a chemo patient -_-)

    Either way, no one noticed except me. Usually with stress related hair loss it takes 6 months to a year to regrow the lost hair. Patience and staying on top of it is key. Though, fixing the problem, usually it will just reverse itself normally, unless it's MPB.
    I didn't stay in ketosis any longer. I went full out peatard, and binge ate on carbs for a month before hitting a level I felt good at -- 300-400g. I made sure to get more gelatin, and lots more fruit, and minimize my muscle meat intake while substituting the protein with more calcium rich sources.

    You were eating same # calories but thinning on keto....so keto bad for you? Because I'm in a similar boat as the OP but reintroduction of carbs hasn't helped per se.
    I think the biggest problem(not the only) with ketosis is the fact most of us have a long duration of subjection to unsaturated fats, and ketosis liberates them from the cells causing systematic dysfunction and irregularity on a wide scale. If you truly like ketosis, it would take a really long time of avoiding PUFA to clear them from the cells

    A mathematical relationship between the fatty acid composition of the diet and that of the adipose tissue in man.

    That shows mathematically the 600 day life for PUFA. Afterwards, keeping fat intake to entirely saturated sources(or make the ratio lean that way as much as possible), I think ketosis can safely be reintroduced. Of course, that's give or take, and it doesn't have to be that long.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 07-18-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

  6. #16
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    When You are already very thin it does make a difference and I don't think strict keto is optimal for the very lean. It is all about mobilizing and burning fat stores. If you don't have much in the way of fat stores, you will starve. When the OP had more storage, they were making up the difference between intake and needs with stored fat. Now they are down to just intake and it's not enough.
    If she says she has 5 vanity pounds, I doubt she is thin enough to where a few hundred calories is going to cause her hair to fall out. People restrict more than that, for much longer, and don't report hair loss.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

  7. #17
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    If she says she has 5 vanity pounds, I doubt she is thin enough to where a few hundred calories is going to cause her hair to fall out.
    Often people who think they are 5 lbs overweight are really 20 under. We don't know in this case.

  8. #18
    spk's Avatar
    spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington - US
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    From my journal:
    THanks for the reply & info. I'll have to peruse your journal... haven't been motivated to explore Peat yet, mostly because Primal/Paleo has hit some important needs for me and didn't want to fiddle. But fiddle I must.

  9. #19
    aprimalmomma's Avatar
    aprimalmomma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    96
    Thanks all for the responses...been offline for a few days...a couple things

    1. I am not underweight...I actually found primal for health reasons and put on 6lbs when I went primal so I'm only looking to lose those to go back to my regular weight...but if it doesn't happen, the amazing benefits of primal/keto are worth it...and before you tell me it is muscle, my bodyfat actually increased essentially by the amount that I gained so for whatever reason the gain was fat and not muscle (I walk 1-1/2 hours in the mornings and lift weights 1-2x/wk and play tennis on occasion).

    2. Another piece I forgot to mention was right around the time that I went keto, I colored my hair and my scalp was very itchy in the shower for about a week...I don't know if that means my hair/scalp/follicles suffered damaged (this was in late May)...the excessive shedding started after that so it is hard to know if it was the switch to NK or the coloring (I've been coloring for 4 years...but I'm done now!)

    3. My hair is not just shedding at a faster rate but growing at a much faster rate (3 weeks between haircuts vs. 8 weeks previously)

    4. I just went and got a haircut and went with a much shorter style (which I love!) to help minimize looking so thin...my hair dresser said he saw new growth throughout...so hopefully this is just a purge and thick beautiful hair is on its way lol

    5. I was a vegetarian for 20 years before finding Primal in January and reintroducing meat (and lots of it...totally carnivorous now)

  10. #20
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,390
    Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    THanks for the reply & info. I'll have to peruse your journal... haven't been motivated to explore Peat yet, mostly because Primal/Paleo has hit some important needs for me and didn't want to fiddle. But fiddle I must.
    Np. If you plan to make your own topical t3(Topical triiodothyronine stimulates epidermal prolif... [Thyroid. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI) you need to have a good deal of biochemistry knowledge, because I can't figure out how to dissolve my t3 tabs right.

    They sell liquid t3 though: Search results for: 't3'

    Which is what I use, since I lack the clen/powder t3 and I find it extremely unwillingly to properly dissolve in water.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 07-20-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •