Thread: Low Carb/Dehydration/Bodily Appearance page

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member

Low Carb/Dehydration/Bodily Appearance

Primal Fuel
    So I have upped my carbs from around 60-80 per day to between 100-150 due to harder workouts. I eat good carbs- fruit, sweet potatoes, potatoes, rice etc.

I have put on about 4-5 lbs, no change in clothes fit. I hate to say it, my body looks better. My breasts have rounded up again and everything (skin wise)just seems tighter. I also feel better. I don't have belly bloat. I know it's not fat gain.

So... my question- when we lose low carb water weight, is it a good thing OR is it actually kind of a bad thing? Is water weight bad inflammation or is it important to the overall health of our bodies?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

snoops is offline Senior Member
    Great question. I have been wondering that myself lately. Every time I do a cleanse whether it be low carb or just juicing so higher carb but low fat I drop those 5-8 phantom pounds in a day or two. So its just water weight but is it bad water weight. Is it inflammation like you say or just good hydration. I do drink a lot of water when I cleanse so I must be hydrated yet still losing that water weight. I hope someone has some ideas.

diene is offline Senior Member
    My understanding is that a lot of that water weight is lost as a result of the depletion of glycogen stores. This is because glycogen is stored along with water--I think it's 3 or 4 grams of water per gram of glycogen or something like that. http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/56/1/292S.full.pdf

So when you first start a low-carb or low-calorie diet, your glycogen stores will be depleted very quickly, resulting in rapid weight loss. It's not inflammation, and it's not really good or bad. if your glycogen stores are depleted, you may have a hard time with high-intensity workouts, which, in a sense, is bad. But if you don't do high-intensity workouts to begin with, then I guess it doesn't really matter.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    So I have upped my carbs from around 60-80 per day to between 100-150 due to harder workouts.

I hate to say it, my body looks better. My breasts have rounded up again and everything (skin wise)just seems tighter. I also feel better. I don't have belly bloat. I know it's not fat gain.
    Come to the Dark Side Magnolia!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat