Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ketosis confusion. page

Rattybag is offline Senior Member

Ketosis confusion.

Primal Fuel
    Hello all,

Can anyone enlighten me as to why I can go 14 hours without food, followeed by a bulletproof coffee with about 2 tsp of butter and 1 tbsp of MCT oil, yet 3 hours later not be in ketosis?
    The more the day goes on - still without food for another 7 hours but the odd coffee with cream, I will then be heavily into ketosis.
    Why the delay? My body has fat to use up (I'm about 1/1/2 stone over weight) and NO carbs will have passed my lips during that initial 14 hours!

Im confused as to why ketosis does not show up on the urine sticks, nor on blood readings.
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Does it matter at all ?

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Rattybag;1253583]
    I would think most people go overnight without eating (say 12 hours) and would wake up not in the specified ketosis range - even though they were probably burning fat half the night ( of coarse at a very low work rate - sleeping).

So from whay youre saying, you get up, walk around and do stuff, burn fat at a higher rate, take MCT that goes to the liver makes ketones that's released in to the blood, finally deplete your body's 'carb' stores so more fat burned at a higher rate and you're in 'ketosis'.

Perhaps you have some carbs for dinner ( or plenty of protein), ketosis stops, you go to bed, same cycle starts again...

How long would you expect it to take?
    Last edited by EatMoveSleep; 07-18-2013 at 03:11 AM.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I'm under the impression that, if you're not doing heavy glucose demanding exercise, it'll take some days.

M.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    the urine sticks are unreliable but the blood reading being negative is odd, what are you eating outside of the fasting? when you say heavily into ketosis what blood results do you get?
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

diene is offline Senior Member
    There are glycogen stores in your liver and muscles that need to be depleted before you enter ketosis. Unless you eat VLC all the time it will take more than 14 hours to deplete those stores.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

MaceyUK is online now Senior Member
    Try a ten mile run in the morning in a fasted state...you'll come back in ketosis. it takes time to run your glycogen down to zero.

Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    Does it matter at all ?
    Yes.

[QUOTE=EatMoveSleep;1253623]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattybag View Post
    I would think most people go overnight without eating (say 12 hours) and would wake up not in the specified ketosis range - even though they were probably burning fat half the night ( of coarse at a very low work rate - sleeping).

Perhaps you have some carbs for dinner ( or plenty of protein), ketosis stops,
    Im on a ketogenic Paleo diet to control seizures so I eat less than 20g of carbs a day. I do eat high protein but I wasnt aware that reduces ketones?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    I'm under the impression that, if you're not doing heavy glucose demanding exercise, it'll take some days. M.
    Ive been eating ketogenically for about a year or so now, but always found zero ketones in the urine and blood for most of that time first thing in the morning. Seems illogical to me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast