Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ketosis confusion. page 2

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    the urine sticks are unreliable but the blood reading being negative is odd, what are you eating outside of the fasting? when you say heavily into ketosis what blood results do you get?
    When the urine sticks show deep purple, I dont blood test, but first thing in the morning (when Ive been medically advised to test) it normally says 0.2 to 0.4.
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Stina1115 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattybag View Post
    first thing in the morning (when Ive been medically advised to test) it normally says 0.2 to 0.4.
    It's normal for blood ketones to be lowest in the morning. I've also heard that if your body is efficient at utilizing the ketone bodies for fuel, you may test lower for blood ketones, but still be in ketosis - I believe Mark spoke about it on a Dr. Mercola interview possibly?

Definitely check your protein though, if your protein is too high it'll keep you out of ketosis. I aim for 5%c 15%p 80%f. Fat usually ends up being between 80-85%, protein just under 15%, and carbs under 3%, and this works well for me. You may try blood testing (those urine strips are useless) on a couple evenings just to see what kind of ketone concentration disparity you're seeing between morning/evening as well - if you have good ketone readings in the evenings, it may just be that the morning number is low because your body's been using the ketones overnight for repair/energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stina1115 View Post

Definitely check your protein though, if your protein is too high it'll keep you out of ketosis. I aim for 5%c 15%p 80%f. Fat usually ends up being between 80-85%, protein just under 15%, and carbs under 3%, and this works well for me.
    Well it might well be too much protein then, as I do tend to eat quite a bit of that. I'll cut that back and see if there is any change.
    Thank you for commenting.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    When the urine sticks show deep purple, I dont blood test, but first thing in the morning (when Ive been medically advised to test) it normally says 0.2 to 0.4.
    if you are VLC then it probably is the protein- I didn't realise that at the beginning either and it kept kicking me out too. check your figures and that should sort it out. extra calories need to be from fat rather than protein for example leave the skin on chicken rather than eating an extra piece (excess protein is dealt with by the body as a carb its just a slower process)
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 07-17-2013 at 12:12 PM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Stina1115 is offline Member
    Well it might well be too much protein then, as I do tend to eat quite a bit of that. I'll cut that back and see if there is any change.
    Thank you for commenting.
    Glad I could help! I have to give credit to all the folks on the Eat Moar Fat thread started by Pebbles, it was a great source for me when I started my nutritional ketosis journey - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77549.html

Best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Thanks for these, very interesting!! Think I need to change my eating a bit!

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    [QUOTE=Rattybag;1253924]
    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post

Im on a ketogenic Paleo diet to control seizures so I eat less than 20g of carbs a day. I do eat high protein but I wasn't aware that reduces ketones?

Yes basically as I understand it, if you reduce your carbs enough for long enough then the body can start to use protein and convert it to glucose it needs.

It seems that 'over consumption' of protein on VLC means the body may over produce glucose ( my guess) causing too much insulin for ketosis to continue.

Also don't starve yourself of protein either - body can use your muscle to create protein ( you lose muscle bulk - not good), so its a balancing act but once you have the hang of it can be relatively easy to maintain .

I drop in and out of ketosis naturally as I skip breakfast and have the bulk of my carbs at night - also I've been trying low Carb rest days alternating with higher Carb workout days.

On that note just for interest I just checked by blood ketones : 1.3 ( today is a low carb rest day).
    I have felt great all day, even though I did heavy lifting yesterday .
    I suspected I was in ketosis ( I don't normally bother checking ) as a few of the tell tails signs were there ( now I know for sure ).

Read up on keto diets - plenty of experienced people here can help.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12