Thread: Leptin page

Anna Kurz Guest

Leptin

Hi All

I am a newby to this site - I have been following Mark though for sometime and thought it was high time I jumped onto the forums - so 'Hi'.

For the past week I have been scouring these forums, reading many of your comments - one thing has struck me, that sticks out to me more than anything, is that there is not much talk about LEPTIN.

Perhaps, many people who have come onboard these forums have done so as they begin to follow Mark's Primal Blueprint - which is fabulous - but I feel we must understand why we are doing this, why we are changing to a primal way of eating.

The key to our long term health, vitality, energy, loss of bad fat cells never to return, return of normal female monthly cycles, rid of aches and pains, thryroid to function as best it can, libido to return, better sleep, lower insulin resistance etc etc is LEPTIN.

When we follow Mark's Primal Blueprint and indeed, generally move away from refined foods and begin to eat those REAL foods from as close to our natural source as possible, and seasonal, our body begins to heal because our body begins to destroy those bad fat cells that are no longer required as we are now fuelling our body with lots of protein and saturated fat - as we do this, so to does our Leptin receptors begin to wakeup! Our leptin starts to do what it was designed to do, to regulate our body's innate function.

Here's a scenario for you - you live by a freeway, over time you don't hear the traffic anymore. Your friend who lives in the country comes for a sleep over and is awake all night from the noise of the traffic. In essense the person who lives by the freeway is known as LEPTIN RESISTANCE, the person who lives in the country is known as LEPTIN SENSITIVE.

Mark has written a very informative blog on LEPTIN, please if you haven't already, take the time to read it.

What is Leptin? | Mark's Daily Apple

There is an area of research that Mark discusses in this blog that I believe is alittle flawed - it is the part to do with fructose. Unfortunately this research that is discussed here in this blog does not mention if these rats were also fed protein and saturated fats. It also does not mention where the fructose is from - fructose is best used in the body if it is consumed with all it's fibre, macro and micro nutrients. (you will see what I mean when you read Mark's blog).

In my clinical work I have noted that fructose does not affect people if they are consuming high amounts of protein when they are consuming fruit. It is my understanding that the body needs a good amount of protein and perhaps saturated fat to aid in the ability to break down and use fructose correctly. I am no expert, doctor, nor qualified nutritionist however, my clinical work in guiding people to finding their way to true health with real foods, along with 20years of background knowledge gained, has allowed me to easily identify this relationship.

Anyway, I've rambled enough - I am very passionate about what I do and wanted to just send out a reminder to everyone to take the time to understand LEPTIN.

Paleobird Guest
    Here is a 2186 page thread all about it if you are interested.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32345.html

Anna Kurz Guest
    Paleobird - thankyou. You are an absolutely amazing inspirational lady - thankyou for sharing your story and your journey thus far.

Anna Kurz Guest
    Loafingcactus - what a shame you feel this way. Leptin is the key to our long term health and vitality for EVERYONE. Understanding more about Leptin is our way forward.
    It is a shame that you feel this way - lots of new members coming on board here do not understand enough about leptin and the key role it plays - so by thanking the conversation on Leptin is over, is selfish. By not sharing this knowledge is stopping so many new people from learning and understanding to help them on their own journeys!!!!
    I educate people on a daily basis on inflammation and leptin - yes this means I repeat myself many times but along the way I know that I am helping others, helping others to understand the key to that opens the door in a new chapter in their lives!!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna Kurz View Post
    Loafingcactus - what a shame you feel this way. Leptin is the key to our long term health and vitality for EVERYONE. Understanding more about Leptin is our way forward.
    It is a shame that you feel this way - lots of new members coming on board here do not understand enough about leptin and the key role it plays - so by thanking the conversation on Leptin is over, is selfish. By not sharing this knowledge is stopping so many new people from learning and understanding to help them on their own journeys!!!!
    I educate people on a daily basis on inflammation and leptin - yes this means I repeat myself many times but along the way I know that I am helping others, helping others to understand the key to that opens the door in a new chapter in their lives!!
    Any helpful tips to improve our leptin, or suggested blood labs to track progress?

otzi Guest
    Looks like she's not taking the bait.

Here's my thoughts on leptin: It's a real thing, and possibly the most important thing, but unless you were born with a defect in your 'leptin system' there's not much you can do about it except adopt a healthy lifestyle being mindful of diet, exercise, and sleep, mostly.

If you are 9 and morbidly obese, you probably have a leptin problem that requires medical intervention. If you are 35 and 40 pounds overweight, you probably just need to eat right, exercise, and give up the bad habits that are causing all the 'leptin resistance'.

cbeauty is offline Junior Member

Leptin and Fructose

Thank you for your comments about leptin. I learned about it when I read "The Gabriel Method" five years ago when we didn't know much about it. I am glad that new information is coming out to help us learn to manage and listen to the systems in our body.

About fructose: my husband works in the biology department at the university near our home, and talks a lot about fructose. It is one type of simple carbohydrate that, although the body CAN do other things with it, the body will about 99% of the time turn it instantly to fat for storage. Why? I do not know all the reasons why- but I know that it is not always bad to store fat- but when trying to lose it, I do not want to eat much food containing fructose. It carries a marker that tells the body to convert it to fat and store it- now! I do eat some fruit, but I don't eat nearly as much as I used to.

That is also the problem- or one them, with high fructose corn syrup- soda, juices, candy bars, fake maple syrup, processed foods - all contain high fructose corn syrup- are all turned to fat as a first-reaction step to detecting it in the blood stream. That is a HUGE reason why so many people, including children, are over weight or obese. It sickens me to think that they do not even know what the problem is- it's all just sugar, right?

Anyway- thanks again for sharing your insights! Have a beautiful day

Elliot is offline Senior Member
    I disagree that fructose is immediately stored as fat. I believe it is usually stored mostly as glycogen, as demonstrated here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4827760
    "...it was calculated that more than half of the infused amount was stored as glycogen in liver and muscle tissue and less than 10 per cent could have been stored in fat tissue."

cbeauty is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Elliot, Thanks for your reply. Here is another small study on fructose conversion if you'd like to check it out. There are a lot of conflicting study results, so I guess you could find "evidence" to support a claim either way. I just know that in the biology/physiology department at our university, what I wrote above is the consensus. If the liver and/or muscles are lacking in glycogen, then sugars will be stored there- but generally, fructose is different when it comes to the body processing it compared to other sugars.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...ype=blogs&_r=0