Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I ony get 824 calories per day? page 2

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmacphee View Post
    That does seem like you are not eating enough. This is only speculation, but it looks like you were beginning to do well when you added more food, and then you gained some weight back...that may be due to an increase in muscle mass?

My natural instinct would be to eat more food. It seems like your body is an efficient storing device (because of the low calorie) and even with extreme calorie restriction (regardless of the percentages) you are most likely to store because of the low calorie content. I would be interested to see what would happen if you were taking in more food, maybe your metabolism is slow because of the lower calorie count.

More importantly, you have lost weight but in doing that, you lost lean body tissue as well. When we limit food, our body can use its own muscle mass as fuel and thus decreasing lean body tissue - losing "weight" but eventually decreasing health. If it were me, I would eat more food to improve metabolism but like I said, only speculation.
    Thanks, kmcphee, but maybe you didn't notice in the original post that I said I have been losing muscle and gaining fat. I have tried eating more, and I gain weight. I have tried eating less, and I gain weight. I'm at my wits end...

hbeck is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    the book recommends .7-1 gram protein per lbm, as opposed to .5
    Well, .5 is mentioned as the amount needed to prevent muscle wasting while inactive as RSL is, I believe. Could be wrong.

RSL - definitely less than 1000 cals a day is too few. Starving yourself is NOT the way to lose weight. Cut all grains, processed crap, dairy, and limit yourself to 1 serving of fruit a day (because of the sugars). Eating more than the .5g/lb of protein isn't likely going to make you gain weight unless you go overboard with it, so don't worry about sticking so low (.7 would be fine, for instance).

Honestly at <140lbs you are not that overweight! What it sounds like you want to (and should) focus on is converting body fat to lean mass. This is hard to do without exercise, but what I would suggest is doing any exercise you can! You're limited by recovering from surgery but I would think you can find some activities to perform. Anything helps, since being totally inactive is definitely a recipe for muscle loss.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    My personal opinion is that you shouldn't restrict your calories that far, otherwise your metabolism will dial down even more. Just from my own trial and error, I would probably up the protein closer to .6 or even .7; have your carbs in the form of lots (LOTS) of low carb veggies, like cooked greens, tomatoes, broccoli; cooked in coconut oil, butter, or bacon fat and dial down the nuts and dairy. I think the fat can go above 70%, but not in terms of just eating high fat items, but working fat into a meal, like a veggie heavy stir-fry with small amounts of meat.

If your recovery is going well, I would recommend small amounts of exercise that does not provoke injury, perhaps arm weights or swimming pool based.

Good luck.

RSL
    Quote Originally Posted by hbeck View Post
    Well, .5 is mentioned as the amount needed to prevent muscle wasting while inactive as RSL is, I believe. Could be wrong.

RSL - definitely less than 1000 cals a day is too few. Starving yourself is NOT the way to lose weight. Cut all grains, processed crap, dairy, and limit yourself to 1 serving of fruit a day (because of the sugars). Eating more than the .5g/lb of protein isn't likely going to make you gain weight unless you go overboard with it, so don't worry about sticking so low (.7 would be fine, for instance).

Honestly at <140lbs you are not that overweight! What it sounds like you want to (and should) focus on is converting body fat to lean mass. This is hard to do without exercise, but what I would suggest is doing any exercise you can! You're limited by recovering from surgery but I would think you can find some activities to perform. Anything helps, since being totally inactive is definitely a recipe for muscle loss.
    I am only 5'3" tall. Even just according to the scale, I am 14 pounds overweight. In order to get to a good body composition, I need to gain 14 pounds of muscle and lose 28 pounds of fat. No small undertaking!

hbeck is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSL View Post
    I am only 5'3" tall. Even just according to the scale, I am 14 pounds overweight. In order to get to a good body composition, I need to gain 14 pounds of muscle and lose 28 pounds of fat. No small undertaking!
    14 lbs is not a lot. I would focus a lot more on your 40% BF number than the 14lbs the scale says.

Little more protein, really cut your carbs to only include good veggies and small amounts of fruit, and GET ACTIVE! Doesn't matter what you do, just do something to move and build muscle.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I track my food every day on Fitday. The numbers I gave for my 1400 calorie menu are correct. I'm not sure why you are wondering about them.
    I wasn't questioning the numbers for your 1400 menu at all. I was questioning where you were coming up with only being "allowed" 824 calories based on the ratios you noted?

And if I add enough fat so that I am eating around 70% of my calories from fat, this is what my breakdown will look like:

824 calories
    64g fat (70%)
    42g protein (20%) (83.3 pounds LBM x 0.5)
    20g carbs (10%)

It's probably me, LOL, but I'm not sure how you came up with that projected number.

I think you could definitely do the ratios you're looking for and come up with a higher calorie count...
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

RSL
    Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    Slow walking is activity, no? And why just eat the minimum amount required to sustain your bodily functions?
    Yes, I guess you are right about the walking. Even if I increase it to 0.6 to allow for that, I would still be eating this:

937 calories
    73g fat (70%)
    50g protein (21%) (LBM x 0.6)
    20g carbs (9%)

RSL
    Quote Originally Posted by hbeck View Post

Cut all grains, processed crap, dairy, and limit yourself to 1 serving of fruit a day (because of the sugars). Eating more than the .5g/lb of protein isn't likely going to make you gain weight unless you go overboard with it, so don't worry about sticking so low (.7 would be fine, for instance).
    I eat no grains, the only dairy I get is butter, I eat only real, whole, fresh foods, mostly organic, nothing processed but my nitrate-free bacon, and I eat 1 or less than 1 serving of fruit each day, and when I do eat fruit, it is 3 ounces of strawberries, and that is not every day.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    no its not! but I feel youre being too hard on yourself post-surgery. Once you can up your activity level, things will get into gear. my advice is to eat more than youre eating now, regardless of what the scale says. you yourself agree that the calories you're "supposed" to consume after crunching the numbers is too low----it is! The muscle will be gained with increased activity and increased protein intake. Until then, I would say stop beating yourself up about your body comp, and not to look at this as one massive undertaking but a day by day promise to nourish your body and eat only the right things. The stress of all this, you being at your "wits end", is only further contributing to your problem due to heightened cortisol levels. I would say focus on a healthy recovery, experiment with some fasting, and dont dwell on the scale.

more info on how stress affects fat loss
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-s...-make-you-fat/

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You have a tough row to hoe RSL, just wanted to give you a *hug*
    I think once you recover from surgery, it will get easier. I hope that you are also getting a lot of good quality sleep along with dieting, and reducing any of your stress. Good luck, I hope things start to even out for you.

Oh. I just remembered something. Food intolerances. You might want to check them out, they can cause weight gain no matter how much you eat. Something to think on. Or not. Stress-reduction and all
    *hug*
    Calm the f**k down.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast