Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk for Baby page

K.ROB is offline Senior Member

Milk for Baby

Shop Now
    I have a question about what some of you feed your child when they started to ween off of breastmilk.

We are going to try and feed my son breastmilk as long as my wife produces it, but she isn't producing as much now. My son is almost a year so i was wondering if you guys feed your child raw cows milk or goats milk, or what else is there. We have found some recipes for goats and cows milk, but you have to put a ton of supplements in it. Also, there is no way i am feeding him formula.

Thanks

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    actually i was thinking raw goat milk if you have access...soft scrambled eggs...bone marrow...

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    well, I can't really help with that since my youngest is still nursing at 2.5 years. At a year old, your baby doesn't really need a lot of breastmilk either, so whatever she's producing is enough. I would focus of good nutrient dense food to make up the rest of his nutrition, like bone marrow, eggs, small pieces of meat(preferably grass-fed) soft cooked vegetables, that sort of thing. You can check the Weston A Price foundation for some ideas food-wise and Kellymom.com about breastfeeding(if you haven't already )
    Calm the f**k down.

strawboss is offline Junior Member
    At a year and past, I wouldn't worry about it as long as your baby is getting a varied diet and still nursing 3-4 times/day. You may want to pay attention to good sources of calcium. There is also no need to buy the prepackaged baby and toddler foods in the cute little jars. Your baby can eat whatever you're eating as long as the consistency is appropriate for age and development. All you need is a small food processor.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K.ROB View Post
    We are going to try and feed my son breastmilk as long as my wife produces it, but she isn't producing as much now.
    You'd be suprised. If she had a full supply when he was exclusively nursing and he's still nursing on demand, it's amazing how much there really is. Pumping isn't a good indicator of supply at this time, nor is breast fullness.

One thing I would start is unsweetened yogurt. Cow's milk or not depends on a variety of personal factors but there is some thinking that the calcium, phosphorus and protein that it provides, in combination, positively affects height.

Pardon the boilerplate on infant nutrition

It can be found in a better format at the link
    http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AV...tuZHNnMw&hl=en
    Infant Nutrition and Starting Solids
    compiled by Katherine Morrison
    excerpted from the following sites and from other sources over time

note: don't ever prechew baby's food. this is a major source of s. mutans transmission.
    While cavity formation is multi-factorial, it is considered 'infectious'

From day 1
    while breastfeeding (for mom)

☐ mom should be taking high DHA fish oil as DHA is occurs in
    greater amounts than EPA
    in the foods humans eat.
    ☐ plenty of vitamin K from animal products, fermented foods, vegetables
    ☐ sufficient preformed Vitamin A from food and supplements combined (250-300 IU per day),
    or a monthly 10,000 IU dose of preformed A, or eat liver once a month.
    ☐ no cod liver oil - it contains too much Vitamin A in ratio to D and most often
    too little DHA in ratio to EPA. One exception: Carlson Cod Liver oil, 1-3 tsp depending
    on Vitamin A in other supplements/foods. Factor the Vitamin D in to daily totals as well.
    A total of 2500 IU vitamin A is appropriate. Subject to change as new data emerges.
    ☐ take 1000 IU D3 per 25 lbs body weight per day on days that you cannot get midday,
    summer, full body, unprotected sun exposure to the point just before a burn occurs.
    I like Nature's Answer D3 drops; 2000 IU per drop
    ☐ At 33N, summer is mid-may thru mid-sept (16 weeks)
    At 33N, summer is june thru august (12 weeks)
    At 42 N, summer is mid-June thru mid-August. (8 weeks)
    -altitude has influence (higher altitude = more possibility of D production)
    -so does skintone
    ☐ At all latitudes and altitudes, Vitamin D deficiency is a problem in our modern world
    unless getting daily or near daily midday, summer, unprotected, full body sun to the point just
    before a burn occurs.
    ☐ Vitamin D Dosing, Levels and Testing information
    http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AV...A0d3BjMw&hl=en

while breastfeeding (for baby)
    ☐ Vitamin D drops: 400 IU per 10 lbs body weight on days that baby cannot get midday
    summer, unprotected, full body sun to the point just before a burn would occur
    ☐ Do not give cod liver oil - it contains too much Vitamin A in ratio to D and most often
    too little DHA in ratio to EPA
    ☐ Even modest amounts of dietary A can magnify D insufficiency and deficiency
    Countries that routinely supplement with cod liver oil have very high fracture rates among
    other problems that are likely caused by an intake of A too high in relation to D status.

"Until we have better information on doses of vitamin D that will reliably provide adequate blood levels of 25(OH)D without toxicity, treatment of vitamin D deficiency in otherwise healthy children should be individualized according to the numerous factors that affect 25(OH)D levels, such as body weight, percent body fat, skin melanin, latitude, season of the year, and sun exposure. The doses of sunshine or oral vitamin D3 used in healthy children should be designed to maintain 25(OH)D levels above 50 ng/mL. As a rule, in the absence of significant sun exposure, we believe that most healthy children need about 1,000 IU of vitamin D3 daily per 11 kg (25 lb) of body weight to obtain levels greater than 50 ng/mL. Some will need more, and others less. In our opinion, children with chronic illnesses such as autism, diabetes, and/or frequent infections should be supplemented with higher doses of sunshine or vitamin D3, doses adequate to maintain their 25(OH)D levels in the mid-normal of the reference range (65 ng/mL) and should be so supplemented year-round (p. 868)." Cannell JJ, Vieth R, Willett W, Zasloff M, Hathcock JN, White JH, Tanumihardjo SA, Larson-Meyer DE, Bischoff-Ferrari HA, Lamberg-Allardt CJ, Lappe JM, Norman AW, Zittermann A, Whiting SJ, Grant WB, Hollis BW, Giovannucci E. Cod liver oil, vitamin A toxicity, frequent respiratory infections, and the vitamin D deficiency epidemic. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2008 Nov;117(11):86470

Four Months
    ☐ continue breastfeeding
    ☐ continue nutritional supplements for mom
    ☐ continue vitamin D for baby

Egg and Liver Feeding
    ☐ daily: an egg yolk per day with a tsp of grated frozen liver
    ☐ important: freeze liver for 14 days prior to using
    ☐ boil egg for 3.5 minutes, open it, scrape yolk into a little dish
    use microplane grater or similar to grate 1 tsp liver into the yolk
    feed baby
    ☐ supplies cholesterol and sulphur-containing amino acids both are important
    for optimal brain development
    ☐ yolk types in order of preference
    →from pasture-fed hens (flax, insects etc insure excellent fatty acid,
    vitamin A and lutein content)
    →from high DHA organic free range eggs
    →from organic free range eggs
    →from high DHA eggs
    ☐ egg white contains proteins that are allergenic and difficult to digest
    delay feeding egg yolk until 12 months

Six Months
    continue the above and attempt to add.....
    Organ Meats
    ☐ soft organ meats and marrow, typically traditional populations in Italy
    Japan, South and Central America and Africa start infants on liver and
    brain when they are available.
    ☐ do what you can

Ten Months
    ☐ plain yogurt to familiarize baby with sour taste -
    do not sweeten no matter what. It may take 20-30 tries before it's accepted.
    ☐ meats (boiled or stewed are best....long cooking times, low temps)
    ☐ fish (sardines or mackerel are ideal as is wild salmon)
    ☐ fruit (banana, avocado, pear, apple etc)
    ☐ vegetables (broccoli, kale, collards, green beans, etc)
    ☐ fermented foods in addition to yogurt: sauerkraut etc

One Year
    ☐ whole eggs
    ☐ whole milk
    ☐ other fruits and vegetables not added at 10 months
    ☐ fish if not introduced at 10 months
    ☐ other foods listed above

General
    ☐ little amylase is produced before the end of the first year
    amylase is required for the breakdown of starches
    ☐ lactase is produced in abundance to digest lactose, the primary
    carbohydrate in breastmilk (which is also the primary macro
    nutrient)
    ☐ zinc, iron, vitamin A, vitamin D and B vitamins, and Ω3 fatty
    acids are the most important ones for cognitive development and
    should be the focus of infant feeding.
    ☐ animal foods supply zinc, iron, A, and in fatty fish, vitamin D
    is supplied as well
    ☐ infant growth is heavily dependent on calcium, phosphorus, protein

Formula Recipes
    ☐ true insufficient supply is not common, but deserves attention
    http://www.westonaprice.org/Recipes-...mula.html#eyfb
    http://www.beinghealthynaturally.com...antformula.php
    http://www.beinghealthynaturally.com...ntformula2.php
    http://www.beinghealthynaturally.com...ntformula3.php
    http://www.beinghealthynaturally.com...ntformula4.php

This document was compiled from the following as well as from many other resources over time
    http://www.hpakids.org/holistic-heal...Feeding-Babies
    http://www.westonaprice.org/Recipes-...mula.html#eyfb

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    sweet potatoes and bananas too!

femininefigure is offline Junior Member
    Here's what I'm doing---I'm working and until very recently was pumping. I am not anywhere near weaning but I am DONE pumping! My son just turned one.

I started with non-homogenized goat's milk mixed with a little breastmilk. He seemed ok with that. He also has had non-homogenized, low temp pasteurized cow's milk. After about a week he started liking it without it being mixed with breastmilk. He nurses in the morning and at night.

I grew up on a farm and drank raw milk for many years. I'm a little leery of raw milk, though not totally opposed. Know your sources. Growing up in the country, there are many disgusting farms. Go to the farm, ask questions, see the facilities, if you want to go the raw milk route, especially giving it to a young toddler. I'm more concerned with homogenization since that changes the structure of the milk more. Pastuerization, especially low-heat pasteurization (vs. ultra) is simply heating the milk up.

Fern is offline Senior Member
    I have never given my son milk, goat or cow. We did have a raw milk share but when I drank it and nursed him he got hives so I just bypassed giving him milk. He is almost 16 months and just eats lots of meat, veggies and fruit and drinks water. He also eats cheese. I dont think babies or children NEED milk, if you want to give it to him thats fine but as long as your wife continues to breast feed as much as she can her milk should keep coming in, its a supply and demand relationship, maybe shes not making as much milk anymore because he has started nursing less? My son did that at about 11 months, then at around 13 months he started nursing all the time again, then he slowed down and now at almost 16 months he wants to nurse ALL THE TIME, seriously like every 10 minutes he is wanting to nurse so I let him and my milk supply has picked back up again.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    I would say it depends on what you're feeding him for food. If you are feeding him really nutrient dense primal food only and he's still breastfeeding then there is no reason to give additional milk.
    I personally give my 2 year olds a little cows milk here and there because they eat some grains and I worry about the anti-nutrients leaching calcium (and other things) out of them! That's just my reasoning behind it so I try to remember to offer them milk when they are eating a meal with grains. We buy either local, regular pastuerized (not ultra!) or raw grass fed milk. I always drink some of the raw milk first and if I'm not sick by morning then they can have it

K.ROB is offline Senior Member
    He is eating a lot of solids too. He is a big boy. It sounds like we are probably covering our bases fine. He eats lots of veggies and eggs with a little meat here and there. We have also been giving him a little water too. All organic too.
    Thanks for all your replies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast