Thread: Primal Body, Primal Mind page

sofiawahaj Guest

Primal Fuel

I happened upon this book while searching Amazon and from the description it seems quite similar to the PB. I was just wondering if anyone has read it and if so, is it any different from the PB? I find it interesting that Mark and the author of this other book (Nora Gedgaudas) both arrived to basically the same conclusions at about the same time (this book came out in Feb 09). I think I will order it and scope it out. Maybe Mark mentioned this book in the PB and I didn't pay attention to it, but I was just curious if anyone has read it?

http://www.amazon.com/Primal-Body-Pr...8882607&sr=8-1

Mick Guest

It sounds as if it is. I buy too many books as it is, and I'd better not get this one, too. I'd like it, though. Even if it turned out I didn't agree with a lot in it, I have to think it would make an interesting read.

I think the high-carbohydrate/low-fat ideology will probably implode within the next ten years. I think when you get to a point with anything where people have gone so far in the wrong direction that you can't really go any farther and what you'd promised to make better is clearly worse, then sense starts to re-assert itself.

SullynNH Guest

It's similar although she calls for lower protein, says it's not necessary...still worth checking out to expand your Primal Knowledge!

Tarlach is offline Member

Yeah, it sounds like Nora has a brain.

Here's an interview with her (there are two segments):

Segment One: http://www.wellnessrdshow.com/archives/shows/?id=100028

Segment Two: http://www.wellnessrdshow.com/archives/shows/?id=100040

If you like her point of view she now has her own radio show.

http://www.modavox.com/voiceamerica/...aspx?aid=38790

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Nick Guest

Tom Noughton of Fat Head was on her radio show last week or the week before. I think I've seen stuff about her book on a couple of the blogs I read.

Her lower protein recommendation is definitely not coming from a CW mindset. I emailed her about it at one point, and really need to send her a couple papers and my thoughts, but I've been procrastinating. Her recommendation is simply based on prioritizing life expectancy, which is kind of up to the user to decide or not. Protein, just like carbs, but to a lesser extent, activates the PI3K/Akt pathway (which is upstream of mTOR, and mTOR-Raptor, which acts as a nutrient sensor and helps drive protein synthesis). PI3K/Akt is a double-edged sword that is activated by a variety of signals, including insulin and IGF1. It stimulates growth, but..it stimulates growth. Akt is a powerful tumor promoter.

Her blog post on the subject is here, if you'd like to see more of her reasoning:

http://www.primalbody-primalmind.com/blog/?p=295&preview=true

FWIW, I recall that she supplies the caveat that if you're engaged in athletic activities where you need more protein, including weight lifting, by all means eat more protein. The recommendation is predominantly targeted at mostly-sedentary adults who might get up and walk every night if they're lucky.

Mick Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    [quote]

Her blog post on the subject is here, if you'd like to see more of her reasoning:

http://www.primalbody-primalmind.com...5&preview=true
    </blockquote>

It&#39;s well-written, and she makes some good points:

About hunter-gatherers:
    [quote]

Sometimes there would have been enough food to go around…sometimes not.
    </blockquote>

I think that&#39;s probably true - certainly true of some groups I&#39;ve read about.

On food quality:
    [quote]

I strongly advocate and make the case for the importance of quality (read: q-u-a-l-i-t-y), complete, animal source protein.
    </blockquote>

Yes, better perhaps to have better (read free-range, organic, etc.) than more.

On fat:
    [quote]

it’s entirely possible to be fully satisfied with less, using sufficient accompanying dietary fat (this is KEY)
    </blockquote>

Well, that is key and good she recognizes that.

Weston-Price&#39;s investigations show that there&#39;s certainly no necessity to eat huge quantities of meat to be healthy - c.f. the Swiss he studied. They were actually getting less meat than she recommends. (She&#39;s recommending 6 oz. per day here; they usually only ate meat once a week). On the other hand, they got plenty of cheese. I don&#39;t know what their total protein intake came to.

But, of course, Price also showed that you can also be heathy on almost nothing but meat (with its accompanying fat) - c.f. his Canadian Indians.

What&#39;s most important is that there&#39;s sufficient animal fat, and she clearly recognizes that.

You go back and read people like Stefansson, and you find the fur traders had to learn this from the Indians, the explorers from the Eskimo (and woe betide the ones that took advice from European "experts" instead), and how many times does this have to be forgotten and re-learnt?

I doubt anyone&#39;s going to come to harm from her recommendations - if they note the caveats, and don&#39;t neglect to eat enough fat, but whether it needs anyone to make a positive recommendation in ounces as she does. And I&#39;m not sure longevity is a meaningful goal, even if we could be sure how to attain it.