Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm working out too much, not by choice, how should I eat? page

tekshow is offline Junior Member

I'm working out too much, not by choice, how should I eat?

Primal Fuel
    Alright, so I'm an overall happy Martial Arts school owner.

The place is successful, the doors are open and have groceries to eat and gas in the car. I love it, but at the same time I'm moving, maybe a little too much every day. I feel healthy, not worn down or anything, but I want to maximize my Primal results and I have no idea what to eat and when. I was really low carb, about 20g a day, but after a few weeks I felt severely fatigued during and after work outs.

I did a little bit of research, listened to some podcasts. And now I've tried adding in 50-75g of carbs on heavy work out days. And that's the problem, nearly every day is a heavy work out day! It's not all weights, mostly body training:

Sunday= Rest
    Monday= 3-4 hours mix of Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai and Filipino Martial Arts (mostly GJJ)
    Tuesday = 6 hours of the same, mostly GJJ
    Wendesday= 2-3 hours of the same, plus Kettle bells
    Thursday = 6 hours of the same, mostly GJJ
    Friday = 2 hours Muay Thai, plus Kettle Bells
    Saturday = 2 hours Western Boxing, 1 hour Escrima, (FMA) and 1 hour kettle bells

I'm not sure how much carb refeeding I should be doing? SHould I be doing it post workouts? Should it be every day? I haven't done the latter yet, I don't want to go back to a ton of carbs in my diet and have eaten paleo carbs like Sweet Potatoes when I add em back in. SO I haven't "cheated" yet but there's got to be a refined way of doing this so I don't have to guess at how to make it work.

Any advice would be great! Some of the above is my personal workout schedule, as you can tell I love Gracie Jiu Jitsu, but some of it is what I have to do to keep the place running at the moment. I wish I could add another rest day but it's just not possible right now.

Thanks everyone,
    Living the dream - One life at a time!

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    If you feel and look ok, and are performing well, don't worry too much about the "magic carb number". Just eat primal. Do you have anything you need to change? Tons of active people do great with higher carb.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

diene is offline Senior Member
    Wow, your life is pretty awesome. I'd love to get paid to workout. Just eat more carbs everyday. You'll be fine. Don't do the very low carb thing (like less than 20 g). That's for people who have illnesses that require them to be in ketosis and people who are super overweight and completely sedentary. Even 100g of carbs per day is considered low carb. You can eat up to 150-200 grams per day and be perfectly fine. Just make sure it's primal carbs.

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    There is a book called something like paleo for athletes, that might give you more information. Try searching marks blog as well. And yes, eat some carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by paleodutch View Post
    There is a book called something like paleo for athletes, that might give you more information. Try searching marks blog as well. And yes, eat some carbs.
    My roommate left that book behind when he moved out. Ugh! I'll go read it!

Yeah, getting paid to train all day and do what I love rocks! Also days like today where I only do three hours is the oniy three hours I'm working!

What are primal carbs, is that only sweet potatoes, rice, and tubers?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    What's your current height/weight? You need a lot of food to fuel that many hours of Jiu Jitsu. The starchy carbs you mentioned above are fine, but a good amount of fruit might be a good idea too in your case, of course along with sufficient fats and protein.

I'm assuming some of that schedule includes private lessons, so you have to train, but instructors where I train don't always roll at the end of regular group classes. Or, if you feel obligated to roll, don't feel obligated to push yourself. Pick training partners you can go easy with. Don't burn yourself out, the academy depends on you!

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    What's your current height/weight? You need a lot of food to fuel that many hours of Jiu Jitsu. The starchy carbs you mentioned above are fine, but a good amount of fruit might be a good idea too in your case, of course along with sufficient fats and protein.

I'm assuming some of that schedule includes private lessons, so you have to train, but instructors where I train don't always roll at the end of regular group classes. Or, if you feel obligated to roll, don't feel obligated to push yourself. Pick training partners you can go easy with. Don't burn yourself out, the academy depends on you!

Thanks! I didn't even think of fruits, although I have been hitting up blue and black berries after workouts. duh.

Yeah, private lessons, and I feel obligated to roll is pretty much it. I'm still young, and although I own the place we employ a few other coaches. I'm the Gracie Affiliate under Pedro Sauer in our area, but the professor on hand is one of Pedro's childhood friends. (it is completely awesome) And since I'm a lot younger in my 30's, I feel compelled to roll, even if I taught a private, taught a daytime class, and now I'm back at night. Plus the whipper snappers give me crap, "why aren't you training..." nonsense if I don't train during THEIR hour. Okay enough venting.

Of course I don't mind it at all and I'm very thankful as long as I stay healthy and can keep at it.

I think I am getting the right amount of fats and protiens, but I'll look at adding a little more fruit during the day and starchy carbs. The last two days for instance the only carb based food I had was a handful of blueberries.

Right now at this minute I'm making sweet potatoes though!

Thanks everyone for the great advice, it's challenging to embrace a new lifestyle and even moreso with limited information. This place sure makes it easy.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    I'm pretty darn active with heavy lifting, boxing, mountain biking, hiking, etc but I obviously don't work out 3-4 hours per day. I eat potatoes, sweet potatoes, white rice, or fruit at every meal. I don't deprive and then re-feed. I just eat. Granted, I eat more carbs on heavy lifting days, but I still get at least 100g on other days.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

kansas-klx is offline Member
    Sounds like yours may be a case where a certain amount of simpler carbs closer to the sugary level may actually be your friend and not an enemy.

Maybe just try a handful of raisins with some almonds within a half hour or so of your sessions? Enough quick and simple carbs timed to hit your system just as you begin the sessions tempered with the protien and fat of the almonds should be fine. Also, not enough bulk to make you feel full and interfere with the sessions.

At 54 days into the PB thang, I'm still waiting to see what my wt/BF baseline settles at before I return to my beloved OTR bicycling. Once I do get back to it, the raisins and almonds are what I plan to do since I was already using if pre-PB for my bicycling, before and after rides.

Fitness for a living must rock! I sit for 8 1/2 hours at a desk and the most I can do in a workday is some chair dips and walk around every hour or two (bouncing off the walls doesn't count, does it? ).

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by kansas-klx View Post

Fitness for a living must rock! I sit for 8 1/2 hours at a desk and the most I can do in a workday is some chair dips and walk around every hour or two (bouncing off the walls doesn't count, does it? ).
    I used to do that, I gave up my lucrative day job back in 2001 to pursue this full time and haven't really looked back yet. There's a lot more I could be doing to be "successful" but I like where I am at and more than anything I love my life.

Thanks everyone! Today was another insanity day, I did 3 hours in the morning followed by rice, fish and greens. Then I did two more hours from 3-5 and had quite a few blueberries and raw nuts.

I feel way better already after a couple days of this. Last night I had those sweet potatoes with dinner, and I think I'm restoring that glycogen properly but who knows. I'll see how it goes over the next week. I'm going to look into it, but so far the hardest part is knowing just how many carbs I'm getting in servings of raw food. I'm going to try and keep it under 100 grams a day and try to ingest the carbs within 30 minutes post work out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast