Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Healthy Ice Cream out there? page 5

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    I eat Haagen-Dazs like four times a week. Unless you're unable to control your portions (I have a scoop, which is about a quarter cup, for dessert most nights), ice cream is no big deal. And HD is just whole milk, eggs, and sugar, nothing bad in there.

People are so sugar-phobic it's insane. If you're on a total sugar detox or a Whole30 or something, sure. But if you're already living a stable Primal eating/exercising life, there is just no reason to be afraid of a scoop of ice cream (provided it doesn't have HFCS, additives, and stabilizers, but I've never had trouble finding "clean" ice cream).
    I am not afraid of a scoop.....the problem is, I can't stop there....I buy pints so I don't eat more than a pint!!! That's anywhere from 500-1200 calories, and a whole lot of sugar! It is simply another addiction I am trying to overcome.....
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    this might be the best sweetener for uou
    About.com: http://www6.netrition.com/sensato_erythritol.html
    Thanks Carb!

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Thanks for all the responses! I have a lot of new ideas now....I am gonna try the ice pops and banana pops, and I'm gonna get me an ice cream maker and start trying some stuff!! I especially wanna try that bulletproof executive stuff......seems like not a lot of carbs.....

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Make ur own , frozen banana almond butter drop of coc milk blender , freeze again to firm up , woola

London

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    Honey has 82g of sugar per 100g, and is healthy. I don't understand.
    Honey is not healthy. There is not enough benefits to make up for that level of sugar. Fruit is healthy, even bananas (23 g of sugar/100g) since it contains vitamins, minerals, soluable fibre and misc beneficial compounds.

A healthy food is one that you should be able to consume in moderate to large quantities (several hundreds of grams plus), regularly without having any negative symptoms, or at least the positive outweighing the negative.

You cannot eat 300g of ice cream or honey a day and it be healthy. You can eat 300g of fruit, meat, shellfish, vegetables, eggs, organ meat etc and be healthy.
    Last edited by AMonkey; 07-18-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Sefton is offline Member
    Gad, I am read in this thread just for thrills. I embarked on the PBlueprint the first week of last December and then about March 1st, I started to reward myself with Hagen Daz etc. - pint sized and consume one scoop every other night.....but my April it was one pint in one sitting once a week, then twice a week, then three times a week. Otherwise everything on the up and up or so I thought....spiked in with gluten free over treating episodes. Four weeks I called a halt to it....went through the withdrawal which lasted longer than I wanted....well, I am back on the straight and narrow. 196 lbs four weeks ago. 190 today.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    Honey is not healthy. There is not enough benefits to make up for that level of sugar. Fruit is healthy, even bananas (23 g of sugar/100g) since it contains vitamins, minerals, soluable fibre and misc beneficial compounds.

A healthy food is one that you should be able to consume in moderate to large quantities (several hundreds of grams plus), regularly without having any negative symptoms, or at least the positive outweighing the negative.

You cannot eat 300g of ice cream or honey a day and it be healthy. You can eat 300g of fruit, meat, shellfish, vegetables, eggs, organ meat etc and be healthy.
    What an amusing rule.

What you are saying is that, because you can't eat large volumes of honey or ice cream, it is unhealthy to eat in moderation, such as a small dessert? I personally believe that if your diet is already balanced and nutritious, you should be 100% fine (and may even benefit) from having things you enjoy included in it, provided they're not harmful to you. I'd rather have a scoop or two of coconut ice cream on bananas drizzled in a bit of honey after eating a full meal of meat/vegetables/starches/whatever than eat another plate of meat/vegetables/starches/whatever. I generally find most people are the same.

F.Fellini is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    What an amusing rule.

What you are saying is that, because you can't eat large volumes of honey or ice cream, it is unhealthy to eat in moderation, such as a small dessert? I personally believe that if your diet is already balanced and nutritious, you should be 100% fine (and may even benefit) from having things you enjoy included in it, provided they're not harmful to you. I'd rather have a scoop or two of coconut ice cream on bananas drizzled in a bit of honey after eating a full meal of meat/vegetables/starches/whatever than eat another plate of meat/vegetables/starches/whatever. I generally find most people are the same.
    Great post. It's nice to see that someone on these forums can handle food in a way that's not all-or-nothing.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    If you are really lazy, slice up 2 or 3 bananas, freeze them, and blend them together. You might need to add a splash of water to make it blend, but don't add much. You could also use a splash of heavy cream if you have some, but not much.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    I didn't read it as an all-or-nothing proposal. I read it as a relative comparison between foods as to which is healthier based on how much one can eat of each food.

I also think each person has his/her own line to draw as far as how much of a particular food to eat. Mark encourages a line at 80/20.

I think the point being made was that while one can eat a ton of something like broccoli with melted butter (and be very healthy), the same is not true of ice cream and honey. Therefore caution should be used.

No one was saying that we should eliminate all desserts. But it is likely true that some people will have their line drawn in a more healthy position than others.
    Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
    Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
    "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
    "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast