Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving TOO slow? page 2

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Usually I do enjoy my walks, or enjoy how I feel after them, though today it was pushing 90°F and very humid so maybe a little less…

Whether it counts as exercise or not it's part of Mark's program.

kansas-klx is offline Member
    Regardless of pace, if it feels vigorous, it is vigorous. Forget numbers and go with what feels good to you.

peril is offline Senior Member
    The guideline is to get your heart rate to between 55% and 75% of your theoretical maximum (220-age). You should feel a little breathy but be able to talk
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

gustvclaire is offline Junior Member
    I think that's a good pace for a beginner.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Just keep walking. Walking fixes everything. If you start to get a little bored of it, try walking for transportation. Walk to the grocery store for some odds and ends. Put your laundry in a big backpack and walk to the laundromat. Walk to the post office to buy some stamps. Years ago I lost 35lbs doing this. I also got really fast after a while.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    It all depends on your conditioning level....if you are a lifelong trainee, have done endurance races before, etc, then slow walking will not do much. If you are starting from a more basic level though, it can be magical.

I am a hiking nut, usually 1 or 2 ascents of 2-3 hours a week. It is my main form of cardio, but I realize that some don't have those kind of resources and I didn't for a long time. I liked the idea about carrying stuff, making it challenging.

Bottom line: humans are meant to move a lot. Doing so gives benefits pretty much everywhere.

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Not gonna read this whole thread but if you want to lose weight then your moving too slow.

One of the problems with primal is that sometimes people get mixed up between what mark says will help you lose weight and what mark says is healthy.

its unhealthy to run 90 miles a day but, it will make you lose weight.

Bottom line is, you still need to work hard to atain a good body.

trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    Not gonna read this whole thread but if you want to lose weight then your moving too slow.

One of the problems with primal is that sometimes people get mixed up between what mark says will help you lose weight and what mark says is healthy.

its unhealthy to run 90 miles a day but, it will make you lose weight.

Bottom line is, you still need to work hard to atain a good body.
    the fact that he began his reply with "not gonna read this whole thread" shows mental laziness and a desire to just dispense advice.

as many people have stated, it depends. if you are used to spending all day at a desk and walking those miles is a significant increase in activity then you will see big improvements. if you are used to doing a lot more intense activities you probably wont see much. try it a month or 2 and see what happens, walking is always good for you for many more reasons than just weight loss so you really have nothing to lose

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Carry some heavy things with you next time. Swing them about. Gallon jugs of water are a good example.

M.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12