Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chocolate & Vanilla Ice Cream page

pjgh is offline Senior Member

Chocolate & Vanilla Ice Cream

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Wise up sucker! Ice cream, indeed ...

We've got paleo ice cream, here. Chicken Liver Parfait, to give it its proper title, "parfait" the French for "perfect", and it is.

Worried? Yeah, I know ... French cuisine ... posh terms, complex processes; but, you know me ... I'll break it down and show you that it's easy and you really don't need a recipe, just real food, a frying pan and a hand blender.

Let's get to ...

Chicken livers. I used 400g raw, trimming off sinews, green areas (which are bitter) and teasing off anything which looked okay. Net result, possibly 350g of liver. This will make two good ramekins - the picture at the top is after I had a go at it in the fridge, feeling peckish in the middle of the night.

Where were we? Livers ... now dice them and gently fry them off in a pan with butter. Real butter. Lovely stuff. Don't colour up the liver, just warm it through until it's not pink any more.

Drop it into a blending receptacle. I have a hand blender, so a Pyrex jug. If you have a good mixer, go nuts.

Flavours ...

I popped in a sprinkle of mixed spice - cinnamon, nutmeg and paprika. Just a little. Sea salt, black pepper and a little more melted butter. Oh, and double cream ... just a smidge.

Blend!

Pass through a sieve. Nah! Don't! First, it's prissy and second, it's pointless.

You're done. Spoon into a ramekin.

Faffy French side note - you can use a spray of Marsala, Sherry or Brandy just to pep up the mix.

Now we need to seal it ... because we're going to keep it for some time ... yeah, right!

But, do this anyway ...

Melt butter. Pour over. Pop into fridge to chill. The butter will act as a natural barrier to keep the liver parfait just so.

When serving, bring up to room temperature, so the butter can be enjoyed. Hungry primals will pick off the disc of butter, eat it and then plunge unwashed fingers into the parfait.

Perfect, eh? Fuck, yeah!

That's the chocolate ... now, the vanilla ...

Parsnip Cream - a simple blend of one parsnip, boiled, drained and blended with cream. That's it. One decent sized parsnip makes one ramekin (above).

Serve with celery sticks, carrot sticks, whatever sticks float yo' boat.

Did I mention liver is a paleo superfood? Chicken, parfait; Lamb, perfect; cow, beauty!

Do it, have fun, don't worry about quantity and ratio, just clean up, dice, cook, blend and lightly wet up ... preferably with butter and set in the fridge.

The inspiration came from a visit to our local pub which just happens to have all manner of awards, accolades and general industry good-feeling, including Yorkshire's Pub of the Year for gawd knows how long ... and they've a mighty fine restaurant alongside.

... which put out a lovely piece of venison with duck liver parfait for my Mrs on her birthday this weekend passed, washed down with a damn good Perrier. Laurent Perrier, naturally.

So, Chocolate & Vanilla Ice Cream. True, there's cream in them, there pots.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    ...want...
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

You want, I had ... it was fantastic ... grab some liver, do what I did and enjoy.

Muaaaaaa ... that's "More" and "Awwww (Homer slobber)" mixed. Real word ... check your Collins English

Have fun ...

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Pigh, this made my seriously depressing day a bit better!

T.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I know I have to brave liver one day, but for now I love the look of the parsnip cream. Never thought of using it as a dip before. Thanx

Hehe ... thanks, guys.

Yes, Annie ... you must. Chicken is probably the lightest of flavours and a parfait/pate is an easy introduction. Liver really is good on all manner of levels and I think it should be a "Primal Rule" that liver be eaten regularly - once a week.

What I hoped to show here was that you don't need to follow complex recipes or methods ... just get some liver, dice and sauté, blend and add flavours. Chill. Enjoy.

Beyond that, try some lamb or beef liver, simply sliced and fried. After a while you'll be cooking it rarer and rarer ...

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post
    it should be a "Primal Rule" that liver be eaten regularly - once a week
    Already a habit at home (not a rule though ).

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    nearly avoided this thread as I don't much care for icecream
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    nearly avoided this thread as I don't much care for icecream
    lol. I surely would have avoided it had I known it was really about liver.

Charles Jik is offline Junior Member
    Interesting discussion about chocolate and vanilla ice cream, and i really appreciate to above comments, well i also really like to eat chocolate and vanilla ice cream, because, it's yummy and delicious ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast