Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More good news about Marrow page

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member

Talking More good news about Marrow

Shop Now
    Good Morning ! How was your breakfast/workout/fast? I myself had 7 oz of grassfed sirloin and a couple ounces of beef marrow. It is becoming one of my favorite AM meals....

But I am still a little curious about marrow, so I was gooling it, and came across some great reports. Here are some snippits:

In an article listed at the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC)
    website titled, “Ape-Man; Adventures in Human Evolution”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/apeman/...logy/2_5.shtml

the following is stated:

“As Prof. Leslie Aiello (University College London) points out, bone
    marrow is highly nutritious, and contains many important elements for
    brain growth and development. It also takes much less energy to digest
    than plant food. Scientists have shown that brain size was beginning
    to increase in the later australopithecines, and it could all be down
    to bone marrow as brain food.”

At a website called Unknowncountry.com, I found an article titled
    “Meat Eating More Healthy in Prehistoric Times”, dated 28-Mar-2002.

http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=1385

in which the authorstates,

“This rules out farmed foods such as dairy products, refined cereals,
    added fats and salt. Instead, we should eat lean meat, fish, fresh
    fruit and vegetables. The best parts of the meat are the oily brain
    and bone marrow, since these are rich in healthy fats.”

Louis Arkson Inc., a manufacturer of Health Food Supplements and Skin
    Care products, sells a product called Vita-Bone Marrow

http://www.arkson.com/health/vbone.htm

They state the following:

“Bone Marrow is the essence of all vertebralis. It contains all of the
    necessary nutrients to the human body, such as proteins, vitamins,
    complex B, minerals (calcium , magnesium, zinc ). Bone Marrow also
    contains Lecithin and Methionine.

I havnt been to the product site, but i thought i would share this.

If youre still wondering where to get marrow, go to whole foods and put in an order for grassfed center cut marrow bones. They are shockingly cheap and the meat mongers will be pretty helpful, they always are to me. mmmmm gona go lick my plate now

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Thanks so much for posting this. It's fascinating. *makes note to buy bones*

To keep depression and anxiety at bay, my brain requires significant amounts of phospholipids and methionine that I haven't been able to supply sufficiently through diet alone. I'm eager to try bone marrow to see if this reduces my need for supplemental phosphatidylserine and phosphatidylcholine (among other components of lecithin).

I also take significant amounts of SAM-e yielding high doses of methionine. Bone marrow would be much preferred.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Im so glad ! Anxiety problems run in my family, and although I dont take medication, I feel as if I have suffered from mild anxiety as well. I was unsure of the exact lipidnutrients it contained until I read this. I had to share. I was like oh yea! I supplement a lot as well, and Im glad to have found a natural food source that helps with this.

And, yes, the taste is good, but I swear I am almost high after I eat marrow. It is total brain food, I feel in the best mood afterward, even after only a 1/2 oz of it. There is definitely something good going on here....

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    I have to say that when I made it up and snarfed it down for the first time a few weeks ago, I felt goooooooooood afterwards! I've got 5 marrow bones in the freezer and I might have to dig one out after all this marrow talk.
    I grok, therefore I am.

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    nomnomnomnm bone marrow I can never get any around here though. I'm need to stalk the butcher I think.
    Calm the f**k down.

maba is offline Senior Member
    Thank you SOOO much for the information and the tip about ordering from Whole Foods. I love bone marrow but it's so hard to come by where I live. I find goat bones on rare occasion at the local halal store. A farmer I found through the local WAPF chapter sells bones and I'm getting a bag today. Can't wait to dig into the marrow.

Quote Originally Posted by maba View Post
    Thank you SOOO much for the information and the tip about ordering from Whole Foods. I love bone marrow but it's so hard to come by where I live. I find goat bones on rare occasion at the local halal store. A farmer I found through the local WAPF chapter sells bones and I'm getting a bag today. Can't wait to dig into the marrow.
    yay great! Im so glad!

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    Does anyone know if the omega3-omega6 issue applies to bone marrow? I found a new butcher shop that has grass-fed beef, but the only marrow bones they had were from grain-fed cows. Since marrow is high in fat, I suspect it could be an issue...

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    OK, can someone tell me the ins and outs of cooking this. Do you just place the bones on a sheet and bake them? How high, how long? I'm worried about undercooking them.

Then, I assume, scoop and eat. Does it keep well after its cooked in the fridge? Lmeyers has me very interested in slathering this on steak. LOL!

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Cooking ... put them in a crock pot with water or stock, turn it to low, let it go a long time. The cartilage will end up like jelly, and some of it will go into the broth as well. When finished and everything is off the bone, remove and eat any marrow still there. Make soup from the stock. Yum.

After the bones are completely cleaned off and dry, I put them in one corner of the wood stove's firebox, and char them in a good hot fire. This makes them crumbly, ready to be incorporated in a garden bed. Home made version of bone meal, from grassfed animals. Why waste the minerals? The protein matrix goes up the chimney, but it can't be helped.

I have a leg of lamb out there in the crock pot as we speak ... time for lunch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast